The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 1, 2013, 08:05 PM   #1
histed

Type 38 Arisaka

Just read the Type 99 post and got to thinking. I have a Type 38 6.5x50 in very good condition, complete with bayonet and dust cover. Only thing missing (that I know of) is the mum, which was ground off after the war, or so I assume. I put one box of Hornady Custom through it and it shot well, but about 9" high and 6" left. I take it, from the Type 99 discussion, that there is very little collector value for these rifles? Been temped to bend the bolt and drill/tap it for scope mounts a couple of time, but I hesitated 'cuz I thought it might have some collector value and didn't want to "Bubbaize" a piece of history. Anyone making an add-on mount for these? Lee has dies, and I think it'd be fun to shoot groundhogs - even use as a back-up for deer.
Old June 1, 2013, 08:20 PM   #2
tahunua001

actually there is great collectors value in these rifles, collectors value is about all they have to be honest. from what I've seen they are deadly accurate. I own a type 99 and type 44. I killed my first bear with the 44 this spring in fact. very accurate little carbine in 6.5x50mm and I regularly shoot it at steel targets at 400 yards with the original open sights. the main reason that their monetary value is so low is that so many were defaced, that there are very few in original condition. if you have all the extras like dust cover and bayonet that greatly increases the collectability as does having an intact mum and doubles the value if it has a concentric circle instead. but the problem is that most arisakas anymore don't have the extras.

also, the ammo is very hard to find. japan had almost no surplus at wars end so there was no flood of surplus ammo like there was with 8mm mauser, 7.62x54R and 303 brit. 7.7 and 6.5 jap are two cartridges that just don't have a great deal of ammo availability so they are something you must almost exclusively reload for if you want to keep under $1 a round so it.

I have no problem with people D+T and bending the bolts on guns that were made in the multi-millions hacking it up. $400 nay not seem like much right now but appreciation will kick in sooner or later and you will be surprised how much a collector would be willing to pay. for instance type 99 paratrooper take down arisakas sell for $3000+ regularly. one day(way down the line) the type 38 may see prices near that.
Old June 1, 2013, 09:44 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Bending the bolt on an Arisaka won't do a lot of good because of the split receiver bridge. Even bent down, the bolt handle still has to be quite high in order to clear the bridge, so the scope has to be mounted high.

Unless you are desperate for a sporterized Arisaka, best to leave it alone and watch it increase in value faster than your average 401(k).

Jim
Old June 1, 2013, 11:17 PM   #4
tahunua001

Quote:
Bending the bolt on an Arisaka won't do a lot of good because of the split receiver bridge. Even bent down, the bolt handle still has to be quite high in order to clear the bridge, so the scope has to be mounted high.

Unless you are desperate for a sporterized Arisaka, best to leave it alone and watch it increase in value faster than your average 401(k).

Jim
I have seen sporterized arisakas with standard height scopes but they do need a very specific style bent bolt in a very peculiar angle. just bending the existing handle just wont cut it. the amount of work that goes into PROPERLY sporterizing an arisaka is fairly extensive and quite costly to have someone else do it.
Old June 2, 2013, 08:57 AM   #5
chiefr

James K Posted

Jim
Yesterday 08:20 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Concur 100%
Old June 2, 2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Gunplummer

Look around at gun shows for a bolt that has a new handle welded on. I used to see them all the time. The stripped bolts are usually cheap.
Old June 2, 2013, 05:56 PM   #7
histed

Numrich has some bent bolt bodies, but from what I'm seeing here, I think I'll just get a set of dies and see if I can work up a load that shoots somewhere close to the sights. I can't see any way to adjust them, but I've read that, with fixed sight revolvers, at least, its possible to taylor the load to the sights. Love a reloading challenge.
Old June 2, 2013, 07:46 PM   #8
tahunua001

the type 38 should be adjustable left and right by drifting the front sight. you can't account for the battle zero but as long as you figure out the right hold over you'll be golden. my two favorite loads for 6.5 jap are
140gr bullets with 34.5 grains of IMR4064 and 85gr sierra hollow points with 34.5 grains of IMR3031. both are very accurate loads.
Old June 3, 2013, 10:30 PM   #9
zbones6

Hey guys, i dont mean to derail the thread, but i have a Type 38, and im having difficulty finding the parts to finish the bolt. Will a Type 99 firing pin and cocking knob work on a Type 38 bolt/rifle?
Old June 3, 2013, 10:44 PM   #10
tahunua001

not sure but I'll guarantee that numrich has those parts... they just made their website all wonky and now it's a pain to find parts.
Old June 4, 2013, 03:05 PM   #11
Gunplummer

Sometimes. Sometimes those parts from one type 38 don't work to swell on another type 38. There are a lot of variations, especially the t-38 firing pin.
Old June 4, 2013, 04:08 PM   #12
zbones6

thanks guys. didnt want to spend >$100 on 2 parts, but to get my uncle's rifle working again, i guess it was worth it
Old June 4, 2013, 05:12 PM   #13
histed

Last time I checked, Numrich had at least a couple complete bolts. There's also another site called "Japanese Rifle Exchange Parts" at http://www.gunboards.com/sites/banza...s_exchange.htm. Might try there. They are fun guns to shoot, but, depending where you are, factory ammo can be a real bear to find. And thanks to all for the info to my original post.
Old June 5, 2013, 02:54 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Bending the bolt on an Arisaka won't do a lot of good because of the split receiver bridge
Admittedly I can claim no great expertise with the type 38 rifle, but I wouldn't say it had a split receiver bridge. What it does have is a tall "wall" just behind the bolt handle, which the type 99 does not have.

This would cause a need for a special mod to the regular bent bolt handle, resulting in nearly the same thing as a split receiver bridge, for scoping purposes.

based on a quick look at a pic, it would seem to me that the "wall" could be milled down quite a bit, allowing a more "standard" bent bolt handle to be used if this was done. And since you are sporterizing the rifle anyway, why not do it? Of course, I could be wrong, and there could be more to it than that, I don't have a type 38 on hand to check. Type 99s don't have this feature. (I have checked mine)
Old June 5, 2013, 09:46 PM   #15
Gunplummer

Yes, it can be milled easily. I used to open the slot on 99's all the time to weld on a wider bolt handle.