Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 5, 2013, 11:29 AM   #1
Phyxius

How do you know where a SKS was Made

I've been out looking at a few SKS rifles but everybody that I've
been talking that has them for sale don't know where they were
manf..

I did pick up a nice SKS for sale for a good price and it has
a star on the top of the receiver and the serial # starts with KP.

Does anyone know where this was built ??

It be great if someone could help me..

John
Old May 5, 2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Unspoken

You have a Russian SKS, made at the Tula factory.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:13 AM   #3
tahunua001

yes star on top is Tula in russia. there are a number of different makes but the most common are russian tula, Chinese factory 26(a triangle with 26 inside) and yugoslavian which is the only SKS to have a muzzle break. less commons I'm aware of are north vietnamese that have a star on the side of the reciever and are extremely rare as the factory was an early target for US forces and albanians that have a longer than standard handguard.

that's about the extent of my SKS where-dat-come-from knowledge.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Ricklin

Lucky You!

I like the Russian SKS's the best. They also bring the best price with the exception of collectables.

One potential downside is the Russian SKS's don't have chrome lined bores. Just make sure you do a through cleaning after firing corrosive ammo.

Hot soapy water is the best to clean residue from corrosive ammo. When clean rinse with REALLY hot water, dry and lightly oil the bore.

Have heard that some guys use Windex after shooting corrosive stuff, I have not tried it.
Old May 6, 2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Baba Louie

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php
http://www.yooperj.com/SKS.htm

Go there. Read. Learn. If it is SKS related, it's there.

A no date Tula star receiver cover? Who knows when it was made, but historically people thought 55-56 for no dates. Not so sure anymore. If it was refurbed, it could be mfg from 45-56 I reckon.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old May 12, 2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Ignition Override

Ricklin: I've read in numerous places that bores in the Russian SKS, as with most other origins, is chrome-plated.

This can also be confirmed on SKSboards.
Old May 15, 2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Ricklin

Hmm. Have always heard otherwise, but duly noted. I'll check it out when I get the chance.
Since the days of corrosive ammo for these guns have pretty much come to an end it's not a huge concern.

I do like my Ruskies. Biggest mistake I ever made (gunwise) was NOT buying ten when I could get them for 89 bucks ea.
I did by three, only one left tho. And it's staying with me.
Old May 17, 2013, 01:04 AM   #8
Ignition Override

I just read somewhere that some of the very First Russian SKS had no chrome-lining, but the rest were chromed.

Either way, you did very well as the Russian wood looks much better than that on my Norinco, it is harder to scrape/cut, it has no (useless) grenade launcher which extends the center-of-gravity fwd., and has the wicked, blade bayonet.

If the bore is in good condition, that combination of characteristics puts it at the top, from my perspective. The reason for choosing the Norinco in early '08 was simply the steeply-discounted price in a FTF sale. Any second SKS for me would be a Russkie.

Last edited by Ignition Override; May 17, 2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old May 17, 2013, 09:58 AM   #9
chadio

How do you know where an SKS was made?

When you hear it, listen to the accent.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Pahoo

Not hard to spot !!

Quote:
You have a Russian SKS, made at the Tula factory.
The three most common, are the Chinese, Yogo's and Russian. Once you handle one they are pretty easy to identify. As mentioned; you have a star which is Russian. In addition to the star, you might even see a manufactured date. I can usually spot the difference from a distance by the furniture, bayonet type and grenade launcher. The Russians are more desireable than the Chinese. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 23, 2013, 08:47 PM   #11
Geordieman

I happily have a Russian SKS which is also a Tula model from 1951 but it has a triangular bayonet and not the blade version. The stock is a very dark reddish color.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:33 PM   #12
tahunua001

Quote:
I happily have a Russian SKS which is also a Tula model from 1951 but it has a triangular bayonet and not the blade version. The stock is a very dark reddish color.
not a lot of people know that russians did come with spike bayonets at one point. I have heard so many people identify an SKS as a chinese just because it had a spike. I've also seen a lot of people identify an SKS as norinco just because it came from china... stereotypes irritate me sometimes.
Old May 24, 2013, 09:48 AM   #13
SteveBonning

tahunua001--I don't think that's a muzzle brake on the Yugo's; it's a grenade launcher....
Old May 24, 2013, 09:54 AM   #14
tahunua001

Quote:
tahunua001--I don't think that's a muzzle brake on the Yugo's; it's a grenade launcher....
tell you what, steve. when I actually see someone use it to launch a grenade then I will start calling it a grenade launcher
Old May 24, 2013, 07:17 PM   #15
Geordieman

tahunua001--not a lot of people know that russians did come with spike bayonets at one point.

Do you happen to know when the Russians fitted these spike bayonets and when they ceased to do so? Many thanks.
Old May 24, 2013, 07:34 PM   #16
Pahoo

Sounds Good.

Quote:
tell you what, steve. when I actually see someone use it to launch a grenade then I will start calling it a grenade launcher
Not a problem and by all means, by all means, keep calling it a muzzle break, folks will know what you mean ....

Quote:
Do you happen to know when the Russians fitted these spike bayonets and when they ceased to do so? Many thanks.
Yes, I'd like to know this myself as I have never seen a Russian with a spike. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old May 24, 2013, 07:54 PM   #17
tahunua001

geordiman and pahoo, the link baby louie provided for yoopers has a section devoted to bayonets, there is a picture of an early 1949 russian SKS with a spike bayonet. according to it only early Russians had the spike before they switched to blades.
Old May 24, 2013, 08:08 PM   #18
Pahoo

The good old 50's

Quote:
1949 russian SKS with a spike bayonet.
That closes the window to the early 50's as I have seen flat bayonets on Russians that are also dated 1952 and 53. Interesting and thanks for the info. ..

Be Safe !!!