The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 21, 2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Polinese

Picked up my first CRF rifles today! A classic and an oddity

I got my first model 70 today. It's a USRA Classic (I think) in 270 winchester.

The second is a Bannerman rifle from who knows when.
1903 stock with no handguard, and a new barrel band.
1903 barrel
Krag rear sight
mauser receiver
chambered in 7.65 argentine.

I haven't been able to find much on Bannerman rifles. But the price was right for something that seemed to be a bit of a rare oddity to add to the collection.

I think the stock will need a lil work if not replacement... several cracks and there is actually a little forward and backward movement of the barreled action.

Will post pictures later.
Old December 21, 2013, 04:40 PM   #2
jmr40

I consider the Classics as the best of the Winchesters. They are a much better rifle than the pre-64's, and are equaling them in value anymore. They may need a bit of tweaking to be perfect, but are worth the effort.

The new FN rifles are better out of the box in some ways, but I prefer the design of the Classics better. You'll really like the 270.
Old December 21, 2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Polinese

I had a savage 270 for a while and enjoyed it. This model 70 is going to be my hunting rig when i get back to NY. I went looking for a 30-06 interarms but found the Model 70 instead and was happy to pay the extra money. Figured if Jack O'Connor had so much success with the 270 then I should be all set.

The Bannerman I actually plan to slowly work on and make it all pretty. Figured since there isn't really much value in them anyways it won't hurt to have a new 1903 stock inletted for it and have the metal redone.
Old December 21, 2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Polinese

So the receiver on the bannerman, is a Erfurt from 1911. I gather that these are small ring 98 receivers that were used on the WWI era karabiner rifles. I read in a couple places that the Erfurt receivers are quite nicely made.
Old December 24, 2013, 01:51 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

headspace that Bannerman rifle before you shoot it!

they were kind of lax about things like that.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 24, 2013, 02:25 PM   #6
Polinese

Don't worry I plan to have it completely checked over before I send anything down the pipe. I figure if nothing else it's a nice oddity to put on the wall and ask people if they know what it is haha.
Old December 25, 2013, 12:00 PM   #7
papershotshells

If you wouldn't mind, please post a pic of the Bannerman. For some odd reason, I've always been drawn to stuff made/sold by them. I read every article etc I can about them. I really have no idea why I'm so fascinated with their stuff, maybe it represents a simpler more cavalier time in the shooting world? I don't know, I just think their stuff has a sort of "cool factor" to it for a student of old shooting related stuff like me.

Thanks

Papershotshells