The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 30, 2012, 03:56 PM   #1
jedi391

1911 barrel bushing question

Im getting a EGW drop in barrel bushing for my Sig 1911. I've talked to a few people who said the bushing dropped right in for them with no fitting. Assuming it appears to really drop in, when I actually shoot the gun or cycle it what should I look for to see if it's fitted to tight? What types of potential malfunctions would an overly tight bushing cause?
Old December 30, 2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Creeper

The EGW "drop-in" carry bevel bushing (example only) has an O.D. of .699" and an I.D. .580". It is designed to fit, with little to no modification, any gun that is within spec tolerance. If your gun is to spec, it will fit.
The issue lies in how it will fit. If your slide is say... .701", it will fit with little to no effort. If your barrel is say... .578", again, you won't have any bind issues. The down side here is that you end up with a relatively loose fit (although it may be an improvement over what you currently have) and no bushing to barrel and slide fit improvement.

Unless you actually measure your parts... ordering a drop-in is a crap shoot.

You will be far better off if you measure your slide and barrel and order a bushing from EGW to fit the way you want it. If your slide is .701", you order a .701" bushing (or what ever O.D. size you need)... it will be snug, may require a little filing of the lug and may require a wrench, which is a good thing for accuracy, not so good for convenient disassembly. Your call. If you don't want to screw with a wrench, then you get a bushing that has a O.D. .001" under your slide measurement.
As to the bushing I.D., you tell them your barrel O.D. and they size the bushing to be .0005" ~ .001" larger... which is right where you want it to be for accuracy. If you are paranoid, or not really secure in your measuring abilities or measuring tool (dial or electronic caliper... micrometer and I.D. transfer tool) then order 1 size larger O.D.

If you are super paranoid and have money, go find a 1911 gunsmith, explain your situation... they will order and fit an EGW bushing for you... correctly.

Happy New Year!
C
Old December 30, 2012, 10:05 PM   #3
polyphemus

"What types of potential malfunctions would an overly tight bushing cause"
Try premature mating lugs failure for starters.
Old December 31, 2012, 07:48 PM   #4
jedi391

Just an update, the bushing dropped right in and fits just about the same as the stock one. I just prefer the stainless look.
Old January 1, 2013, 08:54 AM   #5
polyphemus

That's good,was the original one damaged?if accuracy was the issue then you have any marked improvement?a bench rest test is the only way to properly tell
if there are differences too many variables when you hand hold.Please keep an eye on those lugs anyway.