The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 18, 2011, 04:34 PM   #1
Prof Young

Bi state resident IL and IN

Shooters:

I own property in Indiana, work in Indiana during the academic year, pay state income taxes in Indiana, but my permanent address is in IL, where I also own property and pay income tax. So I have an IL drivers license and am not allowed an Indiana license or ID without surrendering my IL license.

So I'm at the shooting range and notice this post "It has been determined that it is unlawful for Illinois residents to bring handguns into Indiana for the purpose of hunting or target shooting." Really? What about home defense?

It's bad enough that I have to pay out of state fees for an Indiana hunting or fishing license. (Remember those IN state income taxes I pay that support the DNR.) But I can't bring a hand gun from IL to IN either? What the heck is going on here?

Prof Young
Old September 18, 2011, 04:59 PM   #2
liberty -r- death

Did they state the statute this is based on? Is it state or federal law?
Old September 18, 2011, 07:53 PM   #3
oneounceload

Why are you paying taxes to both states?

Perhaps you should declare yourself a resident of Indiana and makes several issues go away, your shooting ones being some of them
Old September 18, 2011, 09:21 PM   #4
Hardcase

A couple of points:

You my not be able to just declare your state of residency, even if you own property in that state. Where you live makes a difference. I've been through this between California, Nevada and Idaho. California, in particular, was very grabby about wanting to claim residents.

As far as taxes go, every state, as far as I know, collects income tax from people who work in the state, regardless of your state of residence. There are exceptions, but not many. That's the trouble with working in one state and living in another - you can end up with a pretty unfair tax situation.

I'd also ask at the gun range how they determined that Illinois residents can't bring guns to the range. Perhaps they've misinterpreted the law. I'm sure that they'd be willing to talk to you about it - I can't imagine that they'd purposely want to keep people out.
Old September 18, 2011, 10:28 PM   #5
Prof Young

Well . . . .

Thought Providers:
I pay income tax in two states because of Illinois crazy income tax laws. As long as I am a resident of IL I have to pay state income tax there. Yea, I know tell me about how crazy that is.

I haven't made myself an IN resident because I still do most of my hunting in Illinois. I also do most of my gun buying when I am in Il, but come to think of it that doesn't make all that much difference. I could buy in IN just as easily if I was an IN resident. In fact I can buy long guns in IN now.

The guys who run the range are part timers, it's a DNR range. I guess I could contact the DNR and see what they say.

Thanks for the thoughts and help.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old September 18, 2011, 10:36 PM   #6
C0untZer0

There is no law or statute referenced here.

I'd be interested in what it is.

I'm no lawyer, but it sounds like it goes against the Interstate Commerce Clause.

it would be one thing if Indiana had more restrictive firearms laws than Illinois (as if that's possible), but since they don't - restricting arms from Illinois seems to violate the Interstate Commerce Clause IMO...
Old September 19, 2011, 10:22 AM   #7
bitttorrrent

Yes, i read a clause that IL residents can buy long guns in IN.

I guess cause rignt next door? So I am an Illinois resident with prop. in MI, but can still buy long guns at the Cabelas right across the border in IN.

Handguns - no.
Old September 19, 2011, 10:36 AM   #8
jimbob86

Where do you VOTE?

If it's Illinois, then you have your work cut out for you, don't you?

If it is Indiana, then why do you venture into Mordor at all? ..... Unless it is to liberate the place, and in that case, you are voting in the wrong place.