The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 26, 2010, 07:21 PM   #51
dusterdude

about 6 years ago,way before i got my carry permit,i went thru a traffic stop and i had my gun on the passenger seat of the car.when the officer came up to the window i had my hands on the steering wheel and told him i had the gun.he asked me to reach over with my left hand and give it to him,i did.he ran the serial on the gun i know because i heard him on the radio,he had it on speaker.after he ran it he gave it back to me and that was it,he was very professional in the way he handled things.
Old December 30, 2010, 12:43 AM   #52
ncpatriot

I'd pull my revolver out with 2-3 fingers & hand it to the officer grips first. If using a holster between the seats, I'd pull the holster with the gun & hand it to him that way. Slow & easy, no sudden moves.
Old December 30, 2010, 11:09 AM   #53
Don P

Here in FLA we are not required to inform LE during a traffic stop. It does NOT show when the drivers license is run and as far as LE has stated to me the 2 licensing divisions are connected by computer. No link. With the privacy acts the state of Florida has removed the licensee's address from the license. Just the name and license number is now all that is on it. Two LE have stated its good practice to inform LE in a traffic stop that you carrying. One officer explained that during a stop the driver leaned over to reach into the glove compartment, at that time the butt of a revolver became exposed. the next thing as told to me was the driver was down on the ground at gun point being cuffed. After explaining the driver showed a CCW and all was made good. Case and point, telling the officer before hand would have avoided the above situation.
If memory serves me right didn't the NRA do battle over the linking of CCW info and making it part of public knowledge base?
I know the magnetic strip on "my" drivers license only has my name and address on it.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 30, 2010, 05:03 PM   #54
Patriot86

Heck I have a POCKET knife in my glove box, last time I was pulled over I made sure to let the LEO know it was there before I went for my information. he was understanding, better safe than sorry. The wrong officer could as easily shoot first and ask questions later, they are very VERY isolated incidents but they have happened.
Old December 30, 2010, 05:44 PM   #55
langenc

After he got over the dog bark I would have probably said "and how may I help you this morning/afternoon officer?"

I did that to a NC (Im from Mi) officer on a 'drivers license' check. He responded "License" with kind of a drawl.. It took me a couple secs to figure out
What did he say?" all was good.

I understand they are really DUI checks under the guise of license check. I had wife and two grandkids in the back seat-in kid seats.
Old December 30, 2010, 09:21 PM   #56
psyshack

The trick of the whole encounter was honesty. As a person that calls Arkansas home and living in Oklahoma, good old honesty goes a long way. You are instructed here to present your CCW with your Drivers Lic./State ID when asked for ID by any LEO. Honesty also was more than likely why the officer only issued a warning.

I spend a lot of time on I-40 and other hwy's in OK and AR. And have done so most of my life. Heck I remember when there was no I-40. And when everybody carried a gun and didn't have to have a permit. Rule of thumb,,, be a butt in Arkansas and you will get shot. Be a butt in Oklahoma and you get beat up real bad then shot. Be nice and all's fine.

Oklahoma is harder on there rouge troopers than Arkansas. In Arkansas a Trooper has God Status. Drove up on a Trooper shooting on hwy 412 a few years ago just inside Arkansas. A locally known mentally slow man was gunned down by a Ar. Trooper because he would not show his hands. He was laying on the ground scared to death. Nothing ever happened to the fine Gent. And the same day NW Ar. LEO's gunned down a Armed Robber after he threw his pistol down. Officers chasing him saw the dude throw his pistol down in a Wal-Mart parking lot and shoppers leaving the store where yelling at the cops " here's his gun ". He ran through the Wal-Mart and officers surrounding the store gunned him down as he burst out one of the back doors of the Wal-Mart. That was his only firearm much less weapon. Nothing ever happened to that shooter either.

Be cool in the Ar. or you could be dead real fast! My best friend's step dad is a now retired Ar. Trooper. And he had a real bad rep.

Honesty pay's in Arkansas. LOLOLOL Early one Sunday morning in Ft. Smith many years ago I went and washed my car. It was a 1969 Chrysler Newport. Plane Jane looking on the outside and ate up with Hemi Power under the hood. I decided to take 540 home and blow dry the car off. As luck would have it as I passed the Trooper Office there was a Trooper getting on the onramp heading my way. His junk Chevy was so slow I had time to stop my sled and was setting on the trunk waiting for him. And him was the first black Trooper ever in Ar. And he had a real bad rep. He asked me what I was doing driving that fast on his hwy so early in the morning. I told him I had just washed it and was blow drying it. I swear he turned pale and his DI hat was shaking on his head. He asked if I had any guns, bombs or dead body's in that giant trunk. I told him there was a loaded .357 Dan Wesson in the car. < The good old days in free America. He went and ran my lic. came back and chewed on my butt and then wanted to know what was under the hood. NO TICKET.

But,,, If had gave him some cock and bull story and got smart ass with him like many had done with him being black. He would have at the least pistol whipped me with my own gun if not shot me with it. They like to let you go or call the undertaker back home.

Last edited by psyshack; December 30, 2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old December 30, 2010, 11:36 PM   #57
Patriot86

@ anyone from Arkansas, they state troopers really pull you guys over for only 9 over the limit?

I lived in Florida for 7 years, the troopers typically left you alone if you were going less than 10-15 over the limit though I have herd stories of 5MPH pull overs in the Tampa/Clearwater area.
Here in Illinois(where I live now) Troopers typically do not bug you as long as you keep it within 15MPH of the speed limit(on the major highways)
Old January 2, 2011, 07:54 AM   #58
B.N.Real

You get what you give.

Usually -show respect- you get that back.

Good to see it all worked out o.k.
Old January 2, 2011, 04:42 PM   #59
Doc-55

Quoted for truth

You get what you give.

Usually -show respect- you get that back.

How true. Although I was not carrying at the time I was pulled over for speeding, about 8 over, I was guilty and in a hurry. Long story made very short the LEO asked me for my licence etc, etc...I told the officer that in the red duffel next to me was a Spring Field 1911 .45, with ammunition.
He asked if it was loaded, I said no. He asked to look, I said sure thing. Where was I coming from he asked, the local club, range, he knew where that was.

He looked in the duffel, left it on the hood of his squad, returned handed me the duffel back along with my licence etc...and a warning.

He made a point to thank me for my honesty and being upfront with him.

Here in Iowa we are transitioning to a "shall issue" state, I like it. But I also am aware of the job these men and women do protecting us, I respect them.

It is indeed a two way street.

JMO, many have others.
Old January 6, 2011, 12:45 PM   #60
serf 'rett

Arkansas Response

Arkansas law requires the concealed handgun license be given to an officer whenever the officer requests identification. Simply put – if you are asked for identification, you must provide the CHCL license with the identification.
Contrary to a previous post, since I moved to Arkansas in 1993 all of my "encounters" with LEO's have ranged from professional to pleasant. I haven’t been pistol whipped or shot. I’m always polite (it pays huge dividends to be polite as it can reduce a speeding ticket down to a “no seat belt” citation).
Old January 7, 2011, 02:57 AM   #61
jimpeel

Steveno,

Quote:
the cruise control will control the speed going uphill or downhill.
Not so. If the car loses more than five miles per hour the CC will kick out and you have to take over using the foot feed. After you top the hill you can then hit the resume. Also, the CC will back off going down hill but if the gearing of the car, such as OD, allows the car to pick up speed the dynamic braking of the engine may not overcome oit unless you shift to a lower gear.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey