The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2010, 08:50 AM   #1
hometheaterman

Questions about primers, powder, and bullets?

So I'm planning to buy a RCBS reloading kit. However, I also was planning on swinging by a store today that's known for great prices and usually has a pretty good selection of reloading stuff. I was going to check and see if they had the RCBS kit or dies I wanted before I ordered them. The problem is this store is about an hour away and I don't want to make a ton of trips there. So I thought while I was there maybe I should go ahead and get some primers, powder, and maybe even a few bullets if they had them.

This brought me to my question. I'm hoping to re load for a 9mm Luger, 243 Winchester, and a 30-06 Springfield. Which primers do I need for the 9mm and which ones for the 243 and 30-06? Or do the 243 and 30-06 take different ones? I see large and small rifle and pistol primers but how do I know which ones to get?

My next question is on the powder. Are there any recommendations on what kind of powder I should try for each of those calibers? I don't have a re loading manual yet as that will come in the kit so I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations?

Then my last question is about the bullets. I often see them labeled as 30 caliber or 6mm. Are these what I'd want for the 243 and the 30-06? Or do I get ones specifically that say for 30-06 or 243? Just wondering how I tell which bullets I need?

Thanks guys. Sorry for all the dumb questions about this lately.
Old January 3, 2010, 10:23 AM   #2
BigPapa4147

.243WIN and 30-06 use large rifle primers, and 9mm uses small pistol. .243WIN uses a .243 inch bullet while 30-06 uses a .308 inch bullet according to my Lee reloading manual.

Last edited by BigPapa4147; January 3, 2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old January 3, 2010, 10:48 AM   #3
jepp2

Your question on "what powder" is very dependent on what your goals are. You might check out one of the online sources for loads. Each of the powder manufacturers has online loading data to review. And there are "generic" type sites such as:
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/
But make sure you follow the cautions!!!!
Old January 3, 2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Ksmoker

questions

There's no dumb questions about reloading, it can be very rewarding & satisfying. But it can also be very dangerous. Read, ask questions & enjoy.
I read manuals & forums daily, learn everytime.
Old January 3, 2010, 11:06 AM   #5
confirmed shooter

I just set up a friend of mine. We got the lee loader re-loading press, scale, bunch of other stuff and when we left he was in bussiness. I have both lee and rcbs dies, Like the lee better. Most re-load tables are on-line (NOSLER)and a few others like Ram Shot, and Alliaint. For one caliber my friend got out the door for about 100 bucks, powder and all. Get the ONE SHOT case lube, It's spray on and non primer thretning. Have fun, make lotts of ammo, and have safe fun. charlie sierra
Old January 3, 2010, 12:15 PM   #6
rwilson452

The 6mm bullets will do for the .243. you want .308 for the 30-06 both of these use the Large rifle primers. I prefer Winchester Primers for my .243 and 30-06. The hodgdons site has a burn rate chart and lots of load data for both winchester and hodgdon powders. You can find a powder that will work in both the .243 and 30-06 but I don't think you will find a powder that will work best in both. Your dealing with different bullet weights and case capacity. You will not be able to use the same powder in your 9mm. Pistol powders are a whole different animal.

What you really need to do is do a couple laps around a good reloading manual before you get started.

Quote:
So I'm planning to buy a RCBS reloading kit. However, I also was planning on swinging by a store today that's known for great prices and usually has a pretty good selection of reloading stuff. I was going to check and see if they had the RCBS kit or dies I wanted before I ordered them. The problem is this store is about an hour away and I don't want to make a ton of trips there. So I thought while I was there maybe I should go ahead and get some primers, powder, and maybe even a few bullets if they had them.

This brought me to my question. I'm hoping to re load for a 9mm Luger, 243 Winchester, and a 30-06 Springfield. Which primers do I need for the 9mm and which ones for the 243 and 30-06? Or do the 243 and 30-06 take different ones? I see large and small rifle and pistol primers but how do I know which ones to get?

My next question is on the powder. Are there any recommendations on what kind of powder I should try for each of those calibers? I don't have a re loading manual yet as that will come in the kit so I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations?

Then my last question is about the bullets. I often see them labeled as 30 caliber or 6mm. Are these what I'd want for the 243 and the 30-06? Or do I get ones specifically that say for 30-06 or 243? Just wondering how I tell which bullets I need?
Old January 3, 2010, 02:07 PM   #7
James R. Burke

First thing you need to do is get some reloading manuals and study them very good. The more the better. I try to have one for ever make bullet I shoot. Dont get in a hurry and try to get and do everything at once. It might take a few trips to get what you need, but it is better than getting stuff you dont need or making some mistakes. You are getting into a great hobby good luck, take your time, ask alot of question, and be very safe! The manuals are the first and a must have.