The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 16, 2009, 08:26 AM   #1
Huntergirl

Wolves at the Door

Well, almost, that is. Less than 50 yds from my truck door, up in the Bridger Tetons deer hunting. I went to my usual /favorite deer hunting area, about 50 miles northeast of Pinedale, Wy, near Muddy ridge. It was raining hard. As soon as the rain stopped, I got out of the truck and began walking stealthfully down a game trail. Less than 50 yds out, I was met with a growl, and immediately sighted 4 wolves. Two took off away from me, one ran to my right, and one ran to my left behind me. I immediated pulled my XD 45acp, and scanned in a circle as I moved back to the truck. They were less than 15yds from me, when I walked up on them, waaay too close. The one that ran behind me really unnerved me. I expected to get jumped, hence the 360 degree scan with the XD. They weren't REAL big, but big enough. Made me think that maybe they were 1-2 year old litter mates, looking for easy pickins.
"bout crapped my pants on that encounter. I went down the mountain, and hunted the lower meadow, shooting a 2pointer muley. I got the heck out of there. Interesting, that is the only time I ever took my XD hunting. I usually carry my SW 41mag or a Ruger 44mag. Intuition carrying a 45 with hicap mag?
I'm a much better shot with the XD.
I have a limited draw elk tag for Sept 20. I'll only hunt the lower areas. Next year I won't be going back there. Too close for my comfort level....But if there's a trophy wolf season, I may go with a nieghbor, who's been itching to hunt them. I aint going back up there alone.

Last edited by Huntergirl; September 16, 2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old September 16, 2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Gbro

I have had a very close encounter with a wolf many years ago. The conclusion I made was, don't worry about it, if the wolf wanted one of us we have little chance.
Of course in your instance, young ones will be less skilled and that will give us an edge.
I do think it is appropriate to fire the gun. where the shot goes is another issue.

When it comes to managing wolves here in MN, the protectionists do not want a hunter to take a wolf, they are more inclined to accept trapping over hunting.
I cant quite grasp why.
Must be something about hunting/shooting being to personal???
Old September 16, 2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Daryl

No wolves closer than a few hundred miles from me that I know of, but most of the places I hunt are mt lion country. Never worried too much about it, and certainly never let it stop me from hunting where I wanted.

Count yourself lucky to have seen 'em. Many folks these days never do.

Oh, and I'm no wolf lover. I've very aware of the damage they do, but if you can't legally hunt them, you might as well enjoy 'em.

Have fun, and stay safe.

Daryl
Old September 16, 2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Huntergirl

Can't say right now I'm inclined to hunt there again. Problem is I do most of my hunting alone. I moved to this area 5yrs ago, and lost my hunting buddies to the great gasoline hike debacle. Just can't get 'em to come out this way, and I got too many animals at home to take with me down there. I will be taking 2 young hunters deer hunting Oct 2 in an area closer to town.
Oh yes, those wolves were beautiful, and FAST. I do not discount that fact. But I'd just as soon not run into them, and the thought of gutting an elk with a wolf pack nearby is a nervous situation for me. Usually takes me 6+ hours to gut, quarter and cart a good sized elk to my truck, depending on where I shoot it. Then pack with ice for the drive home.

As to younger wolves, I considered that many of the grizzly bear maulings in the lower 48, were with young males, less experienced with humans and procuring food.. The greater possibility for wolf attack on humans may exist with younger wolves as well. I don't know, but I aint testing my theory.

Last edited by Huntergirl; September 16, 2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old September 16, 2009, 11:11 AM   #5
Christchild

And my opinion, HunterGirl, like You, I would definitely keep the younger hunters out of that area. If You end up going back there to hunt again, whether alone or with a friend, bring the .45 that shoots well, and what happens to the wolves in the woods, stays in the woods. We were given reign over them from the beginning.

You can call me an activist!!! An American, Human Activist!!! Protect the People!

Last edited by Christchild; September 16, 2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Received word on possible strong opposition to talking about the things of God to others.
Old September 16, 2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Huntergirl

I agree on all points, thanks.
Old September 16, 2009, 11:50 AM   #7
koolminx

Wow great thread, and a little startling...

The wolves here in Washington State are still protected... Darn...
Old September 16, 2009, 11:55 AM   #8
comn-cents

HunterGirl I say good call on not wanting to face them alone, I wouldn't want to do that. Really not in to shooting them just to shoot them either. Good Hunting
Old September 16, 2009, 12:11 PM   #9
wolfbait

Huntergirl, don't go without your faverot shootin tool. I live in northcentral washington where the "brains that be" have been releasing them here for quite some time, and of course not telling people. I to have had some close calls with the wolves, the first time was enough, I pack all the time now. I would rather have the chance of telling the stories about them, then not. These wolves are not afraid of people. they have not been hunted in how long? These same wolves have killed deer within 100 yards of my house, We have had them looking in our house windows at our dogs within 35 ft. of the house. I think people are taking them to lightly and in the end the wolves will win, if you are not packin. The pro-wolf people would have you believe that these wolves are timid, that is not the case. Go prepared for the worst and hope for the best where these wolves are concerned,,, Good huntin,,wolfbait
Old September 16, 2009, 12:22 PM   #10
FrontSight

Man, after seeing some of the interviews of people who have been attacked, any animal with fangs so much as sneezing in my direction is going to get a bead put on it, with lots of lead to follow up if it is making a sincere attempt at tasting me.

We have a right to keep from being turned into a bowel movement just as much as any other animal does; that's just nature's law, i.m.o.
Old September 16, 2009, 12:38 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Given enuff ammo in the mag, that was a perfect opportunity to train them to fear humans with some low skipping shots under their belly... Bet they would think twice before facing off with a human.
Brent
Old September 16, 2009, 12:45 PM   #12
Huntergirl

That was my idea too, but putting a bead on the one running to the right, would have put me off the stategy of scanning for the one running behind me.
Even a couple seconds to focus on the shot at about 20 yds, and that devil behind me could have been on my neck. BELIEVE ME. I thought about getting one of em. Just too risky. And if I shot just to spit bullets, no. Survival kicked in and I wanted to have the ammo to spare for immediate danger. My rifle was in my right hand, to use as a barrier. I'm a lefty.
Old September 16, 2009, 12:50 PM   #13
HiBC

Two brothers were up in the Flattop wilderness in Colorado.They both know what a coyote is.Both have shot coyotes.One of them had to leave his elk stand to run the wolves out of camp..

Seems like if lions or (I have no experience with wolves) wolves are working an area,the elk mosey on to somewhere else.

I did get to see a lone wolf in Alaska.That was cool.
Old September 16, 2009, 01:13 PM   #14
bearpaw

Check out the info about wolf-human encounters on this web page. http://washingtonwolf.info/wolf-human_encounters.html

Read about "The 7 Stages Leading To Predatory Attacks"
Old September 16, 2009, 01:20 PM   #15
Huntergirl

Great webpage! I agree on the elk moving. They move around ALOT these days. I smelled elk in the lower meadow, so thinkin, in about 5 days, I'll be back there checking the lower drainages at around 7500 ft. There have been wolf attacks on livestock in the Pinedale area, about 50mi from this Muddy ridge area where I hunted. Seems ripe for a pedatory attack on a human, unfortunately, may likely be a small human.
Old September 16, 2009, 02:08 PM   #16
Huntergirl

I think, realistically, the only thing in our power to make wolves afraid of humans is to hunt them. I do not hunt except to eat. But in this case, I could make an exception.
Old September 16, 2009, 02:31 PM   #17
wolfbait

You are dead on the money Huntergirl. In Washington state a law was past a while back that ban hunting cougars with hounds, and you guessed it, the cougar population expanded quite rapidly. Cougars were killing livestock, dogs and stalking people. The people that voted for the ban were calling for hound dogs to get the cougar that killed their fluffy. Now hound hunting is coming back. These wolves are way worse then the cats, being that cats don't run in packs, and these wolves multiply way faster than cougar. It is no doubt we are stuck with these wolves no, but the bottom line is that all predators must be controled like any other game animal. That is where the problems begin. How long will it take before people realize what a mistake it has been to follow the line of action that has been set, in not managing a top predator. wolfbait

http://washingtonwolf.info/
Old September 16, 2009, 03:08 PM   #18
bearpaw

huntergirl...thanks for permission to put your comments about your experience on http://washingtonwolf.info

If anyone else has any comments or experiences regarding wolves, please message me.
thanks, bearpaw
Old September 16, 2009, 04:23 PM   #19
Huntergirl

I sent you my last name in a PM if you needed it.
Old September 17, 2009, 06:32 PM   #20
YARDDOG(1)

Good Job Huntergirl, I live in N/E FL. There is alot of yoties alot smaller than the wolf,They are preditor statice around here