The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 17, 2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Superhouse 15

F/A SKS question

I have an odd question about full auto conversions of the SKS. Please realize I am not interested in performing an illegal conversion. I don't need the jail time or the hassle.

An SKS has come into the shop where I work for repair. There is a hole drilled and tapped into the trigger group just in front of the trigger guard. A screw could be threaded into this hole and could bear on the bottom of the disconnector. I'm not sure if this is some kind of modification to change the trigger pull, some modification to attempt to "fix" the gun, or some kind of ninja-style attempt to convert the gun to F/A.

If suspicions are confirmed that this might be an attempted illegal conversion, we will refuse to work on the gun, if necessary we will notify law enforcement of it. Like I said, it's not worth the hassle.

The problem is that the gun is set up for AK magazines, the trigger group has an AK mag catch welded into the front. If it weren't for that, we could just drop in a whole new trigger group and go on with life.
Old July 17, 2009, 01:20 PM   #2
JagFarlane

Hmmmm turns out I have a SKS that was actually made to take AK mags, would a picture of the trigger group help?

And I don't think that would help with the trigger pull much. Also, its a lot more of a pain than the actual way to help with the trigger pull, new springs from Wolff [just installed those last night and they do help quite a bit].
Old July 17, 2009, 04:35 PM   #3
SDC

Yes, this is a typical "home gunsmith" attempt to work around the disconnect lever, and it would likely be looked at very dimly by any LEO who realized what that threaded hole is for; the attached picture is of a similar conversion:

Old July 17, 2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Superhouse 15

Thank you for the info, but I can't view the pic.

Right now the gun is non-firing, so it's looking more and more like we'll be sending it back to the owner.