The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 23, 2008, 02:25 PM   #1
S&W64-5,4"

Lee Loader

Anybody ever use one of these? I was thinking about getting one for .38 special. Is it worth my time or should I wait and save up and get a real press?
Old December 23, 2008, 02:39 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

Wait and get a good reloading setup from RCBS, Lyman, Hornaday, or Redding. With Better tooling you won't go back and rebuy the samething later.
Old December 23, 2008, 02:44 PM   #3
S&W64-5,4"

yeah I was reading a little more about them, You use a HAMMER to install primers??? Kinda Scarry, I think I'll wait thanks for the Info.
Old December 23, 2008, 04:07 PM   #4
Qtiphky

I have been loading for about a year now and have the Lee Classic Turret Press. I have loaded 9mm, 10mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP in pistols. I have also loaded .223 Rem, .204 Ruger, .270 Win, .308 Win .30 M1 Carbine and 300 WSM. It has worked very well for my purposes and got me started for a lot less than some of the other ones. I bought the whole kit directly from the Lee website, could've probably even gotten it cheaper elsewhere, but I wanted it straight from the manufacturer. Absolutley no regrets and the rounds that I load for the rifles are MOA or better, so I guess the question you have to ask is "How far do I want to go with accuracy?" I figure MOA is pretty darn good for plinking and hunting, which is what I do.
Old December 23, 2008, 06:59 PM   #5
S&W64-5,4"

Yeah I just want to get started in reloading for fun and hopefully the opportunity to shoot a lot more.
Old December 23, 2008, 08:39 PM   #6
millerwb

I have used my Lee Loader for reloading my .270 (which I only shoot when hunting). I would NOT want to Resize pistol brass with one. Too much work! I actually use a Single Stage to reload all my ammo (that is all I have and would rather spend my $$ on guns right now). I use Lee dies exclusively and have no regrets.
Old December 23, 2008, 09:24 PM   #7
Smaug

I have one for 45 ACP

There are a few things you need to know:
  • It was originally designed for use as a necked rifle cartridge reloading tool, so sizing straight-walled handgun brass is a lot more effort. (pounding)
  • Don't worry about seating the primers with a mallet. (not hammer) It is well thought-out. However, if you're worried about it, a good accessory is the Lee Auto Prime (or Hand prime, whichever they call it)
  • It is kind of slow to use, and very loud.

Take a look at the reloading thread linked in my signature, and consider the Lee Hand Press instead. No pounding and quicker. It will take more money to get set up, but when you're done, you'll have equipment that will transfer to fixed presses.

Just off the top of my head:
  • Lee Hand Press - $25
  • Lee carbide pistol die set - $30
  • Lee Hand Prime with shellholders - $30
  • = $85

Of course, you'll still need to buy powder, ($16-25 per pound) bullets, ($60 per 500) primers, ($2-3 per 50) an inertia bullet puller ($15?) But that is the case with the Lee Loader too.

It is worth it though, trust us.

Here I am, set up in front of TV for reloading. (not recommended for beginners)

It all fits in a medium size tool bag.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old December 23, 2008, 09:26 PM   #8
Smaug

Also, search youtube for "lee loader" and you'll find a great video from an older guy who uses one very efficiently. That is a good video to show you how it works.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old December 24, 2008, 02:53 PM   #9
Peter M. Eick

I still have my 38 special one that I bought well about 74 give or take. As I remember it was 10$ or so. I cannot even begin to count the number of rounds it has made, but easily in the 10,000 range.

It works well and if your time is worth nothing it is cheap.

Now on to the tips.
1) Buy the lee hand prime press. If you blow one primer you will know why.
2) get a decent rubber mallet.
3) Get a Railroad tie plate to hammer against. This spreads the wear out a bit
4) The dippers are fine (I used unique and 231 for years) but a scale would be nice in the long run. Lee makes an ok one if you are on a budget.

Finally, relax and recognize this is a slow process. It also teaches you the basics and is dirt cheap. I don't recall ever making a mistake with mine and I also loaded 30/30 all the time with it. I still use mine occasionally to deprime things or for a quick crimp fix.
Old December 24, 2008, 05:11 PM   #10
Stargazer

I used one decades ago to reload my first rifle rounds, 6.5 Carcano. As others have warned, primers will go off on you. I got to where I held the priming rod with a folded wash cloth so "when" the next primer blew it would not feel like a firecracker went off in my hand. I averaged about (10) blowing out of (100). It does work though, but I would recommend the Lee hand press over the loader any day. When you do get a real bench mounted press you will already have the dies too.

M70 Web Page
Old December 24, 2008, 06:02 PM   #11
mkl

Quote:
I averaged about (10) blowing out of (100).
WOW! Were you using a 3-pound hand sledge?

I started out with the basic Lee Loader 40+ years ago and never set off a single primer in the 500 or so .243 Win cartridges I reloaded.

Got a lot better stuff now, but it's not a terrible start for someone on a very limited budget.

I used a 4-ounce plastic (non-marring) hammer to seat the primers, and used two or three light strokes as I recall.

At that time, the basic Lee Loader was offered for bottle neck cases only, and it only neck sized. I agree that a straight wall pistol case may offer some challenges.
Old December 24, 2008, 07:11 PM   #12
Stargazer

Naw, it was a Craftsman hammer, red rubber on one side and hard yellow colored plastic on the other. I remember specifically as I made a special trip just to get that hammer for the Loader. Maybe I hit it too hard or those particular primers were tall or something. It does work, I just suggest the hand press over the loader.

M70 Web Page
Old December 25, 2008, 09:32 AM   #13
jsflagstad

I have 3 Lee Loaders but have never used them. I got them in deals where I have purchased large lots of stuff.

I remember back when I was a starving college student, I came across the Lee Loader for my 7mm Mag (I think) in one of the gun Mags for like $14. Seemed like the thing to get for me, but I never did. I see that they don't offer one for the 7mm mag anymore? Maybe they never did and I was just looking at dies, I don't know as it was years before I was into reloading. My dad was sort of into reloading, but he was pretty good at making unreliable ammo and blowing up guns so I chose no to learn from him.

Anyway, I would have to say that the Lee Loader is better than none at all. If I had limited funds or space, I would probably have the Lee Hand Press. The setup that Smaug shows here is sweet and it all fits in a small little tool bag. Maybe I'll have to get one of those for the range??? Somebody stop me!!!

"Is your rifle interesting? -Larry Potterfield
Old December 25, 2008, 10:56 PM   #14
lee n. field

Quote:
Anybody ever use one of these? I was thinking about getting one for .38 special. Is it worth my time or should I wait and save up and get a real press?
I've use the Lee Loader. I would only recommend it if you're extremely pressed for either money or space. With a few more FRNs you can get a Lee Hand Press kit and a Lee die set (including powder dipper and shell holder), which is a much better way to go.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 26, 2008, 10:10 AM   #15
dwhite

lee Loader

Follow Smaugs advice. Get the Lee Hand Press and dies. I load 38 Special and 40 S&W on mine.
Bought it two years ago as I'm in a small house without room for a bench. It's been a great unit
for the cost. I've got an RCBS Rock-Chucker press that requires too much room, right now.

When you do get more room, your dies will still fit any standard bench press.

I can do about 50 rounds per hour with mine at a moderate pace. It's fast enough for my needs.

I got mine from Cabela's for $19.99 without the dies of course. Lee dies for 40 S&W were about $20.
The press comes with a Lee "Ram-Prime" set that is adequate for my needs. This will save the $ you
won't have to spend purchasing the hand-prime tool.I had a set of RCBS carbide 38 Special dies
I bought in the early 1980's which worked with this press.

All the Best,
D. White

Last edited by dwhite; December 26, 2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old December 26, 2008, 12:56 PM   #16
darkgael

Lee Loaders

I started reloading years ago with a Lee Loader in .30-06. I still have it. I have them in all calibers that I reload and for which they are available. They are very slow and loud but they work. It is important to remember that the Lee Loader only neck sizes bottle necked cartridges and so you must use the cartridges in the gun that originally fired them.
I also have Loaders in .410, 20ga, 16 ga., 12ga.
Using any kind of a press is way more efficient but they are nice to have.
Pete
Old December 26, 2008, 01:54 PM   #17
ForneyRider

A Lee single stage kit is 85$.

A Rockcrusher kit is 250$. I think Lyman, Redding and Hornady kits are roughly the same price/features.

Dies are about 25-35$, a set, for the basic ones.

If you are going to reload on a bench, having a single stage will load anything.

Nothing against the handhelds or the Dillon 1050 owners.

If you want to sell to downsize or upsize, I see reloader equipment go for 80cents on the dollar.

My first press, the Lee Pro 1000, I mounted on some 1in MDF that I c-clamped to an old microwave table.

Last edited by ForneyRider; December 26, 2008 at 02:05 PM. Reason: first press
Old December 27, 2008, 06:58 AM   #18
DWARREN123

For straight wall pistol rounds it is hard to beat a Lee Kit. I use a Anniversary Kit and reload 40 S&W.
You can get a "O" frame or "C" frame kit for a little over a hundred dollars and they come with everything but comsumables.
My kit came with one set of dies.
Old December 27, 2008, 07:59 AM   #19
dssajj

Skip the Lee Loader. I started with one for 38spl 10 years ago but slooow. Start with a press, single stage is great to start out with. Once you are hooked you wont be able to stop.
Old December 27, 2008, 11:22 AM   #20
The Terminator

Smaug is right. I have the same equipment. You can easily reload with it for a small investment. Also, when you decide that you like it, and upgrade, you can continue to use the other equipment, and keep the hand press handy for when you need it for yeomans duty. Do a search here, there is more information about the hand press and hand press kit from Lee. I have a Lee Loader kit also, they are a little slow, and not a lot of fun to use, but they will get the job done.
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old December 27, 2008, 11:44 AM   #21
dfrak

I have a single stage and progressives, but I still use my Lee Loaders once in a while, especially when I want to make a small batch for testing. They are also very portable, which is handy when I go up north to do a little plinking. Never had a problem with a primer (yet!). A scale is also handy unless you are pretty certain that the dipper and powder combination will result in a load that works well for you.
Dan
Old December 27, 2008, 12:05 PM   #22
snuffy

Quote:
Here I am, set up in front of TV for reloading. (not recommended for beginners)
Wrong! For any level of experience, ESPECIALLY THE BEER! What's the ratio, one beer per every 20 rounds loaded? By the time you've got 100 loaded, who's loaded the most? How many mistakes were overlooked in the alcohol haze?

As for the lee classic loader, IT WORKS! It's where I started out back in 1965. Now I have 3 grand worth of loaders in the man cave, and spent over 10 M at midway since 2001.

Lee has been responsible for more people getting started in loading than another company. Most consider it entry level equipment. But Richard Lee is a genius when it comes to loaders. Who else has a factory crimp die? Who else sells a neck sizing collet die? Who was the first to offer a hand primer seater? Answer to all, LEE!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 27, 2008, 12:14 PM   #23
sserdlihc

I have had great results with Lee as well. I purchased Lee because I couldn't afford the RCBS kit I wanted. That was about 7 years ago. I am still using my Lee single stage. No regrets whatsoever!!
Old December 27, 2008, 09:03 PM   #24
51colt

I have Lee Loaders in 38sp, 45acp, 30/30, 54r they work good. I now have better equipment the 38sp loader works great in fact i still use it. You can get pretty fast with it.

51colt
Old December 28, 2008, 09:07 PM   #25
zebulonsmith

Quote:
Wrong! For any level of experience, ESPECIALLY THE BEER! What's the ratio, one beer per every 20 rounds loaded?
While I certainly wouldn't condone drinking oneself pissy while reloading, I'm sure this fellow is capable of some moderation on his part. I regularly drink a beer or two during a long reloading session and have not yet blown my face off. It's all about moderation and knowing one's limits.

Back on topic, a lee loader costs around $20 the last I checked. For a little bit more, you could buy the Lee Anniversary kit with a single stage press, scale, primer tool and powder measure to give you way more flexibility than the powder dippers offer.

If you buy the loader, you'll want the scale and the primer tool anyhow. That will have you pushing $50 anyhow so you might as well get yourself a good setup.