The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 25, 2008, 07:55 PM   #1
Oquirrh

Smell of pyrodex in the morning

I'm going to use up the last of my powder -- mostly pyrodex -- and soup cans tomorrow a.m. Gonna get 4 of 5 of my .44s hot and dirty.

Then while my .44s soak in a bucket, I'll begin a fone search for BP or 777. Finally, I'll drive too %$#@ far to get it.

But the morning will make it all worthwhile.

Top to bottom: Pietta 1860, Pietta '58, Uberti/Cimarron '58 and ? Navy Arms '58.
Old July 25, 2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Sarge

I have learned to appreciate 777 and will probably continue to use it until something better comes along. I like the fact that you can shoot round-ball in a rifle indefinitely w/o loading difficulties. You still need to clean within a day or two of each use, but the cleanup is pretty easy.

I do keep a can of Goex FF around for those times when I want to stink the air up a tad or just fire the little BP cannon.

Nice bunch of sixguns you have there, BTW.
Old July 25, 2008, 08:30 PM   #3
Hawg

Don't like Remingtons do ya?
Old July 25, 2008, 08:53 PM   #4
Raider2000

Very nice collection you've got there, hope you have a Blast

I like the real deal FFFG & FFG for my pieces but it's been kinda scarce around here so I've had to rely on Pyrodex P for my plinking & been trying 777 FFFG for my Bobcat & just use what I have in the Holy Black for when I take one of my 58's out to the club for some scouting "which I'm doing Sunday" or when I want to sling one down range that'd be a hunting shot "cold barrel & all."

My Bobcat seems to like the 80gr. 777 FFFG load with my .495/.010 PRB but I've yet to tryi it in my C&B revolvers.
Old July 25, 2008, 08:56 PM   #5
Hawg

I'll stick with Pyrodex. 777 costs too dang much.
Old July 25, 2008, 09:07 PM   #6
berkmberk1

BP for me!

I've got a match Sunday so I'll probably use up the rest of my Shockey's Gold. Then I've got five lbs of Grafs BP to go through.

Speaking of Remingtons.....has anyone else seen the Fall Cabela's catalog? Basic Remington is $219!!! The shooter's catalog has them for $199 until the end of the year though. Wish I'd invested in a second one this spring!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1858RemR.JPG (32.1 KB, 31 views)
Old July 25, 2008, 09:17 PM   #7
Hawg

Cabela's had the Remingtons on sale for 165.00 a couple of months or so ago. The 60 Colt went up from 209.00 to 229.00. Glad I got mine when I did.
Old July 25, 2008, 09:28 PM   #8
Oquirrh

Quote:
Don't like Remingtons do ya?
I like the Rems, but with the advice and tips I've gotten here (I even ground out the cone openings on the Pietta '58 so I can use a snail capper) the Remington design is getting TOO easy. It's pure genius and way ahead of many modern revolvers.

Fortunately, I've got a Pocket Navy Colt to keep things interesting, if not frustrating.

As for powder, I try to buy at small local gun shops whenever possible, but my nearest family-owned shop has virtually given up on black powder items, unless it's for inline monstrosities. I went buy today--outta balls smaller than 50, one kind of cap, BP substitues only in FFG.
Old July 25, 2008, 09:33 PM   #9
Hawg

I grew up shooting a Remmy, my second one was another one. I don't shoot them as much since I got my 60 Colt.
Old July 25, 2008, 09:57 PM   #10
long rider

I dont shoot them as much since i got my 60?
well i recon some guys will op out for seconed
best.:rolleyes
But i do like the look of the 1860s modell
Old July 25, 2008, 11:12 PM   #11
Hawg

It shoots as good as my Remingtons, points better and doesn't bang my knuckle on the trigger guard with heavy loads. BTW original Remingtons don't bang your knuckle.
Old July 25, 2008, 11:52 PM   #12
Ricklin

Knucklebuster

Hawg,
Why do you spose that is? 40 grns and mine is biting my knuckles.
Old July 26, 2008, 12:29 AM   #13
Oquirrh

knocked knuckles

I've got fairly big hands, but the Pietta '58 does NOT bang my knuckle. I seldom shoot more than 25 g loads tho.

But the Uberti sure does--my middle knucke is right against the trigger guard. I have a sore knuckle after a few cylinders.

It's one of the reasons I shoot the Pietta more than the Uberti. The Navy Arms '58 (still haven't figured out the manufacturer--Euroarms?), also does NOT knock my knuckle, but it has a sliver of wood missing at the rear corner of the grip and that edge digs into my palm.

The 1860 has BIG grips. It has potential to shoot as well as the Rems, but i have to break it in and learn the hand-wavin' dance that shakes the cap frags loose.
Old July 26, 2008, 03:16 AM   #14
darkgael

BP order

Try Powder Inc. for BP. The stuff is delivered right to your door. Prices are right. If you order enough (I believe 10 lbs. will do it), it is less expensive than any of the subs even considering the hazmat charge.
Pete
http://www.powderinc.com/
Old July 26, 2008, 04:01 AM   #15
Hawg

I can't afford to buy in bulk. Just got laid off so not buying much of anything right now.
Old July 26, 2008, 04:24 AM   #16
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggen
I'll stick with Pyrodex. 777 costs too dang much.
I agree with ya there, I can get Pyrodex P for $17.00 & 777 FFFG for $24.00 at the Gander Mountain here in Fredericksbug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggen
and doesn't bang my knuckle on the trigger guard with heavy loads. BTW original Remingtons don't bang your knuckle.
Interesting, maybe because of my small hands I've yet to experience this & I've had up to 42gr. in my old Pietta Remington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgael
Try Powder Inc. for BP. The stuff is delivered right to your door. Prices are right. If you order enough (I believe 10 lbs. will do it), it is less expensive than any of the subs even considering the hazmat charge.
Pete
Their great prices but the problem I have is having to be at home to sign for the package instead of at work making $$$.

HH sorry that you got laid off, hope it turns around for ya real soon.
Old July 26, 2008, 06:39 AM   #17
Hawg

I've got prospects but nothing solid yet.

Pyro is 16.00. 777 is 26.00 they're proud of that stuff.

My knuckle doesn't touch the trigger guard on an original just holding it, it does on all the repros I've handled.
Old July 26, 2008, 06:40 AM   #18
sundance44s

I bought another Pietta Remmie from Cabelas when they were on sale for 169.00 a few months ago ...Didn`t need another one , but figured that would be the last chance to ever buy one NIB for under 200 bucks ..
Old July 26, 2008, 02:50 PM   #19
Gaucho Gringo

I just payed $17.99 for 777 at Bi-Mart on sale a couple of weeks ago. In hindsight I should have bought 2 of them.
Old July 26, 2008, 04:13 PM   #20
Oquirrh

Smoke has cleared...

The Pietta Remmy got the biggest workout because it's easy to load (with the snail capper and Treso cones) and accurate.

Problem with Uberti Remmy. When I got it second-hand, it had a real nice trigger - couple pounds pull and zero creep. But after a few outings it has gradually become a 'hair' trigger. I'm not joking when I say you can 'think' it off! It doesn't to release when I smack the butt though.

I've tuned some triggers but never un-tuned one.

Should I stone the sear notch it a bit deeper or buy a new hammer?
Old July 26, 2008, 05:16 PM   #21
Hawg

I'd take a look at the trigger.
Old July 26, 2008, 05:24 PM   #22
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oquirrh
Problem with Uberti Remmy. When I got it second-hand, it had a real nice trigger - couple pounds pull and zero creep. But after a few outings it has gradually become a 'hair' trigger. I'm not joking when I say you can 'think' it off! It doesn't to release when I smack the butt though.

I've tuned some triggers but never un-tuned one.

Should I stone the sear notch it a bit deeper or buy a new hammer?
It could be the angle in which the tip of the trigger & the sear of the hammer have in relation to each other too.

Quote:
The sear angle is also important in the feel and safety of the trigger. When the trigger and hammer sears interlock, if the sear is on the radius line of the hammer, then the angle is zero or neutral. This means that the movement of the trigger does not move the hammer at all as the trigger is being pulled. A positive angle means that pulling the trigger causes the hammer to be cocked slightly more as the sear must move the hammer in order to clear. This slight dovetailing of the sears should be at around 2-3 degrees to provide a crisp trigger that will be safe and hold well. Any greater angle is an over-engagement and creates an excessive trigger pull. A negative angle is unsafe because there is no interlocking of the parts and the trigger can release the hammer without being touched.
Quote:
Whenever working on the sear, I recommend that the hobby gunsmith reassemble the gun and test the trigger for safety. Put the gun back together without the cylinder. Cock the gun to half-cock and then put pressure on the hammer and try to push it back in the direction of the frame. It should not move at all. Assuming that the hammer holds well in the half-cock position, pull it back into the full cock position and repeat the test by pushing on the hammer to make sure the sear is engaging and holding. If hard finger pressure on the hammer causes the sear to slip, then your gun is not safe and the sear angle is probably negative or the sear is way too short. You should find the break to be crisp and clean. If you are used to cartridge revolvers, the trigger and hammer pull may seem a little strong, but this is normal in a cap and ball revolver since the hammer must place pressure on the cap during ignition.
I've gotten this info off the net "The writer is Mohave Gambler" that reflects nearly exact word for word of what a friend of mine has written & given me a copy of more than 18 years ago & I've used as a basis for tuning SA revolvers since.

Hope this helps.
Old July 26, 2008, 05:41 PM   #23
long rider

KNUCKLES ? what the heck is that?
HEY bin shooting my remmys for years never
busted my knuckles. that jim shockys gould
man you can keep that ***%* you could not
give me that stuff, i will stick with the real stuff
BLACK POWDER. i shot some balls with that jim
i can hardly bring myself to say it shockys my
remmy went on a sick binge, give her some bp
she said thank god for that.
Old July 26, 2008, 08:10 PM   #24
Oquirrh

Before I jump in...

I've been testing the trigger on my Uberti '58. It's pretty amazing.

Zero creep and less than a pound trigger pull. Bench rest guys would kill for it.

AND, It doesn't go off if i push it toward the frame, slap the butt and muzzle or even drop the piece a foot onto a carpeted floor. I hate to mess it up.

I'm going to try increasing the spring pressure on the hammer and trigger and see if that will increase the pull weight. if i could get it to 2 or three pounds it would be manageable.

I'm worried it has a soft sear--maybe the previous owner did some filing. When I first shot the rev., the pull was nice -- about 3 pounds-- and no creep. But everytime I shot it, it seemed to get lighter. The only lube on it is mineral oil.
Old July 27, 2008, 07:20 PM   #25
guy8452

awsome

my firts blackpowder gun was a rem. 58 and it was the most fun i ever had with a gun ,so i went out the next week and get a colt 1860. and it was great too where has this been all my life ?