The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 30, 2008, 10:11 PM   #1
scoutleader

Street Shooting Classes

All,
I was thinking of taking some Street Combat classes from my local gun range but I have a question to pose here first. I am going to run this by my Lawyer as well but I will ask it here too. If I take these classes and God forbid that I have to use deadly force, how would that look in court? I could see it going both way. Just wanted to run it by everyone here.
Danny
Old July 30, 2008, 10:38 PM   #2
TCman

How would the court know you took the class if you paid for it in cash? Even on a credit card wouldnt it just say the gun shops name?
Old July 31, 2008, 06:46 AM   #3
Keltyke

Quote:
If I take these classes and God forbid that I have to use deadly force, how would that look in court?
Both the prosecution and the defense can run with this. The defense can say you took the course to enhance your chances of survival in a situation. The prosecution will say you took the course to become a better killer. Since survival is MOST important, I'd take the course. I'm planning on taking one in the near future.
Old July 31, 2008, 09:35 AM   #4
jackmcmanus21

It isn't like you're training with terrorists in the middle east. The classes are nothing more than training for survival...it wouldn't be held against you.
Old July 31, 2008, 10:18 AM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

As in all things - the issue is well researched.

Will something hurt you in court?

1. There is a large legal, psychological and sociological/criminological literature on this.

2. The legal literature has discussed whether martial arts training or similar training can increase your civil and criminal liability. The answer is it might.

3. The same lit has discussed whether firearms related issues can prime aggressive ideation that may hurt you in court. The answer is depending on circumstance, simulations and real world experiences suggest it can.

4. There is lots of evidence that emotionally laden and vivid instances can affect juries.

5. Someone will say if it is a good shoot, it DON'T DAMN matter - however, if you are in court - someone didn't think it was a good shoot. In TX and other locales, CCW types have gone to trial with what internet folks would think is a GOOD SHOOT. The DA didn't

6. The advice however is that if you have particular expertise that indicates you were thoughtful and deliberate in your actions - as a good tactical class might indicate - you can negate the vigiliante, killer viewpoint and it could act to your benefit. LFI-1 is the gold standard.

7. This is advice is that you get a lawyer and experts who are well versed in these issues and can defuse and/or provide proper testimony to indicate you aren't a nutso killer who trained for the moment.

8. Last, if you are serious about carrying - serious training can be seen as a moral responsibility if you carry. Good courses check your skills, give you info on the legal and personal ramifications and dissuade of some of the internet crap that some of the untrained put out. After a shoot, you need to be prepared to deal with criminal, psychological and personal stressors on you and your family. Classes can give you tips on what to expect.

It's good that folks plan to take such. They open your eyes about what you may spout or think.

Oh - classes also teach some good techniques and good FOF courses test you. Do you freeze and dither? What happens when your tactical plan goes awry and you get 'killed'. Did you shoot an innocent? How come you missed your shot - which on the Internet you proclaimed that you would have done with the skill of a modern William Tell or Annie Oakley. Much fun. Maybe it would have been better to haul ass at full speed rather than start the gun fight. They also teach you when you screw up - don't whine.