The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 4, 2007, 01:38 PM   #1
Shaun

gun safe

i've been looking for a bigger gun safe, but the problem is most larger safes are made for rifles with only a few slots for handguns. I have no rifles and one shotgun, but have 10 handguns and plan on getting a few more. I was wondering if there is a safe out there that fits my needs that i wont have to modify from a rifle safe into a handgun safe.
Thanks
Colt Cobra .38 Spl; Smith & Wesson M10 4"; Colt Detective Special; Ruger Security Six 6"; H&K USPc 40S&W; Smith & Wesson 686P 4"; Kimber Eclipse Pro II; Smith & Wesson M29 6.5"; 3-Screw Ruger Super Blackhawk; Glock 17
Old June 4, 2007, 01:42 PM   #2
john in jax

Most of the larger "rifle" safes have shelf systems to accomodate your handguns. You can lay the handguns flat and use several shelves or you can get a rack/divider that holds the guns upright to use less shelves.
Old June 4, 2007, 02:19 PM   #3
Rick_S

Fort Knox

Check out the www.ftknox.com site. You can build your own safe online. I love mine. I have mostly handguns. Just one long gun. Mine has shelving for 4 longguns. I have plenty of space for 15 handguns plus a few thousand rounds.
Old June 4, 2007, 03:45 PM   #4
SOSARMS

Location: The great Buckeye state...where nuts are not just for eating
Smith Security Safes in Tontogony, OH will build a safe to order....at least they did for me. Wanted a horizontal safe rather than vertical. Very nice job and short order to complete. They advertise in Gun Lists.
Old June 4, 2007, 03:49 PM   #5
Playboypenguin

I had the same problem. I ended up having to modify one. I just took out all of the shelves in it and cut my own that went all the way across. I just used premade, pressboard shelving from home depot and covered it with a black heavy wool fabric. Worked out pretty well.

Old June 4, 2007, 04:24 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Worked out pretty well.
I'll say! That looks great.

So, what's in the safe next to that one?
Old June 4, 2007, 06:06 PM   #7
DouglasW

That does look nice Playboy. Someone else posted a pic of their safe, where they had 10 or 15 handguns mounted to the door -- two small wooden spools screwed in to the door supporting each handgun.

Good luck.
Old June 4, 2007, 06:06 PM   #8
ShipWreck

Did U just luck out on the dimensions, or did U have to cut the stuff with a saw to get it to fit?
Old June 4, 2007, 06:26 PM   #9
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Did U just luck out on the dimensions, or did U have to cut the stuff with a saw to get it to fit?
I got lucky depth wise but of course had to cut them down width wise.
Quote:
So, what's in the safe next to that one?
The few long guns that I possess.

Old June 4, 2007, 08:37 PM   #10
Shane Tuttle
Staff

PBP,

I always see your pics, but forget to ask:

What's the brand of your safes?

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old June 4, 2007, 08:39 PM   #11
Playboypenguin

Quote:
What's the brand of your safes?
They are just the entry level Sentry safes. They are not the best but they were what I could afford at the time and they more than serve their purpose.
Old June 4, 2007, 08:49 PM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

Nice set-up for handguns Playboy Penguin.
Old June 4, 2007, 08:52 PM   #13
dralarms

I can't believe the number of pictures I see with ammo stored in the safe.

I was informed that in a fire when the ammo "pops" it WILL break the "fire seal" at the door.

I have begun to try and unload the ammo out of my safe, Everything I own was loaded and I had to go out and buy more ammo cans to start putting ammo in. (bet I had 20 15 round mags for the glock 22 loaded),

at least I now know where all my ammo I have been buying is going since I haven't shot anything in about 2 month.

Now if I am wrong about the ammo in the safe please tell me, nothing would make me happier than to give my crew a little to fill them back up.
Old June 4, 2007, 08:55 PM   #14
Playboypenguin

Quote:
I was informed that in a fire when the ammo "pops" it WILL break the "fire seal" at the door
I hate to be the one to break this to you but if the inside of your safe gets that hot your guns are toast anyway. That is when we are glad we have insurance.
Old June 4, 2007, 10:43 PM   #15
cloudcroft

dralarms,

I have two safes, one (a Liberty) is fairly expensive/fire-rated and I keep guns, silverware, cameras, laptop PC, important documents, fishing reels, etc. in it.

The other is a cheaper safe with no fire-rating (hence no fireseal) for ammo mainly and some power tools (that could be used to TRY to get into either safe if a thief had access to them). I also store lead ingots (for casting bullets/fishing sinkers) in it to weigh it down more. BTW, both 50-cal. and 30-cal. ammo cans fit very nicely in this small Sentry safe with hardly any wasted space.

I MAY get one of those Elite safes (by Stack On) I've seen out on the floor at my local Sports Authority (SA), which does have a 30-minute fire-rating to use for my ammo/tool safe, but I need to have about $600 free for that...don't have it right now. Still, it looks nice and solid, and at 5xx pounds, not TOO heavy to manhandle into place (and bolt down or weigh it down big-time). SA also have a Stack ON 24-gun safe on the floor at $319 -- no fire rating -- that would be nice for "secondary" stuff, too. It weighs less than the Elite so it'd be easier to pick up at the store, get into the back of my SUV and then get it into my apartment. I could probably do the smaller Stack-On by myself, but I'd need help with the Elite.

In short, the expensive stuff is in the better safe, the stuff that is less costly to replace is in the cheaper safe. But even the cheaper safe (bolted down) protects my ammo/tools MUCH better than if they were stored in a box in the closet or on some shelves in the garage (if I had a garage).

-- John D.