The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 5, 2002, 01:37 PM   #1
SW9M

Colt's Combat Commander in Colt Gaurd?

I recently obtained a Colt Combat Commander that I originally thought was in matte stainless. I've since learned it is a finish called Colt Gaurd. Serial # 70SC5xxxx. (It came from my bothers estate.)

Could anyone help me with the history of this gun. Mainly how long it was produced with the Colt Gaurd?

Also (and I understand the value is subjective) could anyone share with me the value of this gun. Atleast maybe the high and the low sides. I'm not interested in selling it. I have began to shoot IDPA and I'm using this gun. If it is a valuable gun then I may purchase another 45 to compete with.

Any help would be appreciated.

Malo mori quam foedari. Malon Labe.
Old November 5, 2002, 01:52 PM   #2
BigG

I believe it is electroless nickel. If you hold it next to stainless you will note it has a slightly gold cast.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old November 5, 2002, 02:13 PM   #3
SW9M

Yes it does have a slight gold color to it.

Old November 5, 2002, 02:20 PM   #4
BigG

I don't think it is a particularly valuable gun. It would run similar to any Colt centerfire automatic in like condition. Since it varies by locale, I hesitate to put a number to it but I sold one in about 90% condition not long ago for $500.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old November 5, 2002, 03:13 PM   #5
SW9M

Thanks BigG...

that tells me what I need to know. I just didn't want to be using this gun for the IDPA and drop it or something to that effect that would devalue a valuable gun.

In light of your info I'll keep using it.

Thanks

Old November 5, 2002, 04:58 PM   #6
Jim Watson

There are actually two different finishes.

The Combat Commander was available in "Satin Nickel" from the time it was introduced in the late 70s until 1986 (according to the Blue Book.)
"Coltguard" was electroless nickel applied by an outside contractor to some models *after* 1986. I think it was done to tide them over until they could get more guns out in stainless.
I don't have serial number vs dates for Commanders, but I can say that the Satin Nickel guns are much more common.
The Satin Nickel has the slight yellowish cast of regular nickel plate, just with a brush finish. The few Coltguard guns I have seen were a grayer finish that looked more like stainless. Doesn't make much difference in book values. Shoot and enjoy.
Old November 6, 2002, 08:59 AM   #7
Quantrill

Satin Finish Colt

Which, if any, would attract a magnet?? I also have a Colt Commander with a like serial number that will not attract a magnet. I bought it used and have often wondered what it was. Quantrill
Old November 7, 2002, 12:22 AM   #8
Jim Watson

If it isn't magnetic, it isn't steel. A Commander (you didn't used to have to say "Lightweight") has an aluminum frame. Mine has an aluminum MSH. I think some grip safeties are aluminum, but can't be sure, mine has been replaced. The rest is steel. Plating or coating is not going to stop a magnetic field.

Some stainless steels are non-magnetic, but most of the ones used in guns are. At least my S&W and SA are, I don't have a stainless Colt to check.
Old November 7, 2002, 04:28 AM   #9
Quantrill

Thanks Jim,
I do not think that my commander is a "lightweight". My grip safety has also been replaced. Quantrill