The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 25, 2017, 02:23 AM   #1
kh1911

Colt Lightning

I recently purchased a Colt lightning .38 Revolver made in 1906 as a project gun. I need various parts such as sear, a few springs, hammer screw and a few others I cant think of off the top of my head. I'm having quite a difficult time finding parts anywhere for this thing. Anyone know of a good place to find lightning parts?
Old February 25, 2017, 07:56 AM   #2
JT-AR-MG42

Poppert's carries some springs.
You can google them for contact info and maybe they
might have a line on other parts as well.
Never hurts to ask.

JT
Old February 25, 2017, 11:03 AM   #3
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Since you say you have a Lightning, I am assuming you have the 1877 Model, not the 1878 Model. The 1878 Model was larger and a bit more robust.

Good luck finding parts.

Have you checked Numrich Arms?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...006.htm?page=1

They have a few parts on hand, but not many. Numrich's parts inventory goes up and down over time as they buy old revolvers and strip them down for parts. Check back often.
Old February 25, 2017, 11:22 AM   #4
timgd

parts

HI, there is an outfit called Bobs Gun shop inc. in royal ark. they list a lot of small parts/ springs. I have not used them but came across while looking for parts for my 1877 colt. Good luck.
Tim
Old February 25, 2017, 01:44 PM   #5
HighValleyRanch

Bob's gun parts is a small company but good to deal with.
I had to find a main spring for my JP Sauer Hawes Western Marshal, and he was the only one who had one.
Old February 26, 2017, 02:11 PM   #6
kh1911

Thanks Guys for the suggestions, I'll check them all out. I have looked at numerich and everything I need is out of stock of course. And yes it's a 1877 model.
Old February 27, 2017, 03:40 PM   #7
SIGSHR

The Lightning has a reputation for being tricky to work on. I actually dis-and re-assembled one (correctly!). Make sure you have proper screwdrivers, magnets to hold those small parts, a properly lighted and flat work area.
Old February 28, 2017, 04:18 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Model 1877 Colt ("Lightning" -.38 Colt and "Thunderer" - .41 Colt*) was a very poor design, even for that time. It is complex and very unforgiving of any wear, which is why so many are found in an unserviceable condition. When new, they work OK, though the old flat springs are a problem, but with wear the timing of the whole mechanism is thrown off and new parts (now unobtainable) will be required. Note that most of the parts sold by the parts companies are either new-made and require extensive fitting or old parts that are themselves worn out and unserviceable.

Jim

*There was also a .32 version, called the "Rainmaker; supposedly only some 300 were made, and I have never seen one. The names were used by Colt's distributors, not by Colt, though they did use the name "Lightning" for a pump action rifle.

JK