The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 24, 2017, 05:49 PM   #1
Panfisher

Taurus M85

I have a desire to add a handgun to my small numbe of them. Currently I have a kimber 45 1911, a Ruger gp100, and a Browning Buckmark. I am thinking I want a Taurus M85 in .38 spl. I want the all steel version, not the UL or Poly models, but they are hard to find around here. I have found a brand new Taurus 85 2" bbl, all stainless steel in .357 which is fine I wouldnt plan to shoot any .357s in it anyway. This would be a small easy carry companion that would ride in the pickup console for thousands of miles, be carried in occasion and be a companion for little things like mushroom hunting or she'd hunting etc. Would add an IWB holster that I would presume it would disappear into. Primarily it would be fed handloads od 125 to 158 cast bullets from Missouri Bullet Co. So now talk me out odlf it, tell me why it is a bad idea. The one I found is NIB and listed for $360, much less than a Ruger SP101.at $599.
Old February 24, 2017, 06:09 PM   #2
mk70ss

I won't bash Taurus like many. But my own experiences with owning several are this: quality control is somewhat spotty. Triggers on their DA revolvers tend to be VERY heavy. I have also had one excellent Taurus. A steel 94 in .22 that was great and I wish I still had it.
Old February 24, 2017, 06:09 PM   #3
Siggy-06

Grabagun has SP101 for $479 with 6.99 shipping to your ffl dealer.

On the Taurus 85, not a bad budget revolver. Not a Ruger or S&W, but it's been around for a long time and is one of Taurus's top sellers. Their customer service can be hit or miss but I've never had an issue with them personally.

Take a look at Charter Arms Undercover, or the Ruger LCR for poly. Both can be had under $350.
Old February 24, 2017, 06:10 PM   #4
dahermit

I have had a Taurus Model 85 (.38 spl. stainless, snubbie),for some years now. It is the only double-action that I own that is totally stock. All the others came with a too heavy double-action trigger pull (S&W's) or stocks not comfortable (Ruger 101). It rides in an inexpensive Bianchi 152 pocket holster, inside my right side, slit pocket in my cargo shorts in the Summer or the same pocket in my cargo pants in the Winter. My Model 85 happened to be spurless as purchased.
http://ads.midwayusa.com/s?usersearc...cket%20holster

Last edited by dahermit; February 24, 2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old February 24, 2017, 06:43 PM   #5
Panfisher

I have looked at the Ruger LCRS and they are another option. Something about them just didn't click with me though, don't know if it was the weight or what. I had a Taurus 94 for a while it had a very heavy trigger but that was easily corrected. Coworker finally had to have it so I sold it to him. I worked the trigger and action on the new one I found and it is night and day difference from the 94 I had. The trigger was actually pretty good and way lighter than I was expecting. Shop owner says newer Taurus are coming out with much better triggers than they used to.
Old February 24, 2017, 08:12 PM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
I have a desire to add a handgun to my small numbe of them. Currently I have a kimber 45 1911, a Ruger gp100, and a Browning Buckmark. I am thinking I want a Taurus M85 in .38 spl. I want the all steel version, not the UL or Poly models, but they are hard to find around here. I have found a brand new Taurus 85 2" bbl, all stainless steel in .357
Taurus' .357 version of the 85 is the 605. I have one, in stainless. Mine's been sound. It's a backup to my S&W 642 now, but isn't going anywhere.

Quote:
which is fine I wouldnt plan to shoot any .357s in it anyway.
I fired only in total about 10 rounds of .357 through mine. It's painful, and I always want to check to see if the gun is still together.

Quote:
This would be a small easy carry companion that would ride in the pickup console for thousands of miles, be carried in occasion and be a companion for little things like mushroom hunting or she'd hunting etc. Would add an IWB holster that I would presume it would disappear into. Primarily it would be fed handloads od 125 to 158 cast bullets from Missouri Bullet Co. So now talk me out odlf it, tell me why it is a bad idea.
Expect to see much Taurus hate, if this thread grows much. You'll want to check over any given example well, before accepting.

Quote:
The one I found is NIB and listed for $360, much less than a Ruger SP101.at $599.
That seems a bit high for the 605 now. And, you can get a S&W 442 or 642 .38 snubby for about that. Just saying.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; February 25, 2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old February 24, 2017, 09:26 PM   #7
joneb

I have a Taurus M-85 SS with 2" barrel +P rated I bought in the mid 90,s and it has has been flawless. I can't speak for the new ones.
Old February 24, 2017, 09:34 PM   #8
tallball

I got one around 1990 and it was excellent until it was stolen in a burglary after about 15 years. It was steel with a regular hammer, probably the best snubby I have ever owned.

I replaced it with an 85ul soon afterwards. Its trigger isn't quite as good, but it has also functioned perfectly.

Last edited by tallball; February 25, 2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old February 25, 2017, 12:34 AM   #9
CDR_Glock

I have a Taurus 605 from their long defunct Custom Shop of 1994. It's polished stainless, has a smooth trigger, and ported barrel. Feels as good as my S&W 640 to me. Never had issues with it.

I also have a Taurus Tracker 922 22 LR/22 WMR (changeable cylinders). The Magnum shells sometimes get stuck in the cylinder. Some say the trigger is heavy but I don't feel like it is. It's very accurate.

I'm sure QC is variable, but the two I have had have been good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old February 25, 2017, 10:02 AM   #10
Panfisher

I will see if I can locate a few other options for comparison, LCR, the smith etc. Semi like the little revolvers are at times hard to find around here everyone wants an auto. Thanks fellers.
Old February 25, 2017, 10:13 AM   #11
CajunBass

I had a Taurus 85 with a factory "bobbed" hammer. It was a pretty good littlle gun I thought.

I traded it off on something else, but I do that a lot. No reflection on the gun.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 25, 2017, 12:03 PM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
I have a Taurus 605 from their long defunct Custom Shop of 1994. It's polished stainless, has a smooth trigger, and ported barrel. Feels as good as my S&W 640 to me. Never had issues with it.
Jack Weigand did those, I think?

My 605's trigger is heavy, but smooth and controllable. I've never been tempted to monkey with it.

Quote:
I had a Taurus 85 with a factory "bobbed" hammer.
If you watch, you'll see Taurus DAO hammers on ebay, every once in a while. Don't know how big a deal it would be to fit.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 25, 2017, 12:39 PM   #13
dahermit

Quote:
I had a Taurus 85 with a factory "bobbed" hammer.
Quote:
If you watch, you'll see Taurus DAO hammers on ebay, every once in a while. Don't know how big a deal it would be to fit.
I suspect he meant "spurless", not "bobed", as is mine...spurless hammer option.
Old February 28, 2017, 09:23 AM   #14
Buckeye!

I picked up a stainless steel 605 a few months back at Academy Sports for 329.00 ... I really like the new grips .. Solid built revolver .. fit and finish is great .. When I was examing the 605 another customer asked to see one and purchased one also ....

Listed at 24oz. On my scales 20.5 oz

Last edited by Buckeye!; February 28, 2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old February 28, 2017, 11:01 AM   #15
Onward Allusion

Taurus revolvers are ok guns. I had/have the 44, 608, 617, 60, 65, 66, 80, 82, 85, 94, 941 over the years. More than one in some models. Never had a problem with any of them. Never.

Trigger rough at the beginning. Wears in nice. Finish thin on blued ones. Sharp edges on the SS models. However, always more accurate than me.
Old February 28, 2017, 06:11 PM   #16
Panfisher

Buckeye that is the exact one I looked at. I went looking at a small LGS today at small revolvers, a very well used (appeared to be mostly carry wear) Ruger LCR in .357 was more than the new Taurus, I will say that I did like the trigger on the lcr and it's enclosed hammer at least on that model. I wouldn't have thought twice about the wear on it if it had been cheaper though. The main reason I am wanting the .357 is simply because I have lots of empties that I can load down to .38 level but should I find the right lcr in .38 at a great price, well brass ain't that expensive. Still looking. Mushroom season hasn't come yet.
Old March 1, 2017, 03:15 PM   #17
Buckeye!

If you are close to a Academy Sports .. They should be in stock .. And get a stainless over their new blue finish ..
Old March 2, 2017, 08:25 PM   #18
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I picked up an all stainless 605 a year (or 2?) ago for $299----it has been a good gun---so far.

Shooting .357's out of it is pretty much like shooting a Ruger SP101---in other words--no big deal----though I keep it stoked with hot .38 HP's for home defense.
-------Metallica
Old March 3, 2017, 06:18 AM   #19
CajunBass

Quote:
I suspect he meant "spurless", not "bobed", as is mine...spurless hammer option.
That's it. That's a better word. Anyway it was DAO. Nice little gun.

But it's long gone, even if I wanted to "fix it."
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 4, 2017, 07:49 AM   #20
Kreyzhorse

I had an M85 several years ago. I loved it, until it froze up solid around the 250 round mark. Forcing cone issues causing it to bind. Taurus's legendary customer service was well enforce so the whole thing became a massive PITA.

The moral of the story is that while I saved money buying a Taurus, I ended up spending a hell of a lot more long term to end up with a working gun.

I'm not saying Taurus can't make a good gun, but if you get a bad one, you'll quickly burn up your front end savings. For me, it makes more sense to buy a better gun the first time out and save yourself money in the long term.

Additionally, a Ruger will have much enter resale value than a Taurus should you ever want to sell it.
Old March 4, 2017, 10:46 AM   #21
Targa

I like the Taurus but here is my hang up http://grabagun.com/s-w-642-1-875-38...alum-cent.html...I get that it's not the all steel frame your looking for.
Old March 4, 2017, 04:34 PM   #22
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Forcing cone issues causing it to bind.
Um, sorry for jumping tracks, but couldn't you have just polished it a bit? I have a 94 snub and after a few hundred rounds it too started to bind due to the heat. If I let it cool, it'd be fine again. For a permanent fix, I just took a very fine diamond file to the cone.
Old March 4, 2017, 08:34 PM   #23
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Um, sorry for jumping tracks, but couldn't you have just polished it a bit? I have a 94 snub and after a few hundred rounds it too started to bind due to the heat. If I let it cool, it'd be fine again. For a permanent fix, I just took a very fine diamond file to the cone
Possible I guess but with what was essentially a brand new gun I didn't think it was my responsibility to have fix it. Nor would I trust myself with a file.