The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2015, 10:15 AM   #1
RugerSteve

Coated Bullets

Does anyone else have trouble reloading coated bullets? I bought a box of 500 at the last gun show several weeks ago. I loaded about 100, then got to checking the loaded ones with a magnifying glass and noticed some material buildup around the edge where the bullet and casing meet.
I pulled several to check and notice some shaving of the covering.
I ran the powder die down 1/4 turn and checked, and still showed skimming.
Continued to 1/2 turn, then full turn, with still skimming.
The attached picture shows powder die at the full 1 turn. Problem is that the bell is so much that when I try loading my plated bullets, and are dropped onto the casing by my BulletFeeder they are pretty much at the OAL.
Could it be that when it goes to the combo seat/crimp die, that it is crimping slightly before, or as seating, and it's skimming them?
I hope to figure this out, since I just ordered box or 250 from Precission Bullets (.356), and 250 from The Blue Bullet Co. (.355)
My plated bullets are .355, and the coated ones that I have now are .356 which shouldn't really make any difference.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428592507.923618.jpg

Last edited by RugerSteve; April 9, 2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old April 9, 2015, 11:18 AM   #2
mikld

Just like lead bullets, coated bullets need the case mouths flared to facilitate bullet seating. Are you crimping and seating in the same operation? The pic shows a very small area of bare lead where the coating scraped off and would happen as the bullet is still moving while the case mouth is crimped in on the bullet. I've shot mebbe 2K Precision coated bullets in my 45 ACPs and about half that in my 9mms, all preform as advertised...
Old April 9, 2015, 11:26 AM   #3
RugerSteve

Yes the seating and crimping die is a RCBS combo die. What is your suggestion, back out the die a little? I hate to change everything, then have to change back to do the plated ones.
Old April 9, 2015, 12:16 PM   #4
nemesiss45

You could buy a dedicated crimp die and adjust your seater die so it dosent crimp.
Old April 9, 2015, 12:28 PM   #5
snuffy

overcrimped

Why are you crimping that much? Holy cow, that's nearly cutting the bullet in half! Overcrimping AND seating and crimping in one die is what's causing your problem. The solution for you is; if you insist on that much crimp, you will have to do the seating and crimping is 2 operations, seat, then crimp using 2 dies.

Your problem has nothing to do with the bullets being coated. I bet if you took a close look at your plated bullets, you would see the same thing.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 9, 2015, 01:07 PM   #6
9mmSkeeter

I treat coated bullets just like lead bullets - because that's what they are - but with a coating around it to reduce smoke.

Flare the case mouth a bit and then press your bullet in. I guarantee that will solve your problem. And, don't over crimp.
Old April 9, 2015, 02:59 PM   #7
RugerSteve

I use a combo die because I have a Dillon 650 w/powder check, and Mr BulletFeeder die
Old April 9, 2015, 03:01 PM   #8
RugerSteve

Actually the plated bullets are fine, hardly any impressions in the plating at all, if any.
Old April 9, 2015, 04:22 PM   #9
Shotgun Slim

Make sure the bullet is not cocked as it sits loose in the case before it is seated. Also if you can separate the seating and crimping operations and adjust the case mouth flare so there is no scraping during the seating process. I'm real close to 100% coated with my loading now and find you just have to take a little care for good results.
Old April 9, 2015, 05:01 PM   #10
RugerSteve

The MrBulletfeeder die drops the bullet into the casing, straight as I see. No, I cannot separate the operations without losing the powder check station, and not willing to drop that for the sake of using coated bullets, which I am really not saving any money between that and plated, just wanted to try them, and have about 1000 of them. So do you think that backing out the seat/crimp die by 1/4 turn or so, might take care of the problem?
Old April 9, 2015, 05:55 PM   #11
Shotgun Slim

If you back out the die you will have to reset the seater plug to maintain the same oal. You might give that a try though,to come up with the lightest crimp you can get by with. I think what is happening to you is the crimp is tightening while there is still a bit of bullet seating motion and the sharp edge of the case mouth is lightly scraping some coating which would naturally pile up on the case mouth and possibly interfere with headspacing. I agree that coated bullets do not give any great savings over plated bullets,but I use a 175 gr swc coated in my .40s and I cannot find any plated bullets that will shoot as well. The difference is small but in competition the confidence factor makes it worthwhile. Good luck and safe shooting.
Old April 9, 2015, 10:15 PM   #12
RugerSteve

Coated Bullets

Finally success. Backed out seat/crimp die, reset seating adjustment and no more shaving on the coated bullet. Attached are two seated/crimped, one plated, and other coated, along with one of the pulled coated bullets. Only strange thing is that the coated bullet there, one of the plated ones I ran, and the other coated round showing there will not fit flush in my case gauge. The plated one showing will.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428635701.589631.jpg
Old April 10, 2015, 11:20 AM   #13
mikld

Quote:
I use a combo die because I have a Dillon 650 w/powder check, and Mr BulletFeeder die
You've seen some good answers, and if you want to eliminate the situation, you gotta change something. Seating and crimping dies can be made to work to seat/crimp in one operation, but for a new reloader, getting the amount of crimp coordinated with the seating depth is pretty dern hard. After 30 years of reloading I still prefer to separate the seating from the crimping, it is much easier to control each operation separately (started press loading in '72 doing .38 Specials, then .44 Magnum and a couple more handgun cartridges, and now reload 8 different cartridges both bottlenecked and straight and all crimping is the last operation)...