The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 8, 2015, 06:41 AM   #26
TimSr

Nick, What gun do you use for competitions? None of these had even noticeable recoil from my 6" GP100, but then I'm a big magnum frequent shooter. The Unique load did have noticeably more recoil than Bullseye and Red Dot, but the Blue Dot loads had significantly more than that.

None of the first 3 published loads were even in the +P range which is why I started at max. By my estimation the Blue Dot loads might have been on the lower edge of +P. I can't help but think that I probably could have increased the first 3 loads, as I first mentioned, lack of published data for full power WC loads stared me down.
Old April 8, 2015, 08:07 PM   #27
Nick_C_S

I shoot a Smith model 67, 4" bbl.

"Recoil" is a relative term, of course. In competition, even a little recoil means recovery time. I like my practice rounds to snap harder than my competition rounds - how 'bout if we use that word - snap - over "recoil" in this context.

None of these rounds I'm talking about have recoil on the order of magnum type rounds. Nothing close to that for sure.
Old April 9, 2015, 07:18 AM   #28
TimSr

Ah, okay. Like rapid fire or timed multi hit stuff? I understand exactly. .22 rimfire type "snap". I've taught a handful of recoil fearing women with those type loads. Very easy to empty the gun into a small target quickly when it doesn't move after you fire it, kind of like the ones in all the 1950's movies. That Unique load WILL make the gun move for your prctice.
Old April 9, 2015, 02:52 PM   #29
Nick_C_S

Two of the three action pistol competition disciplines I shoot have "Power Factor" rules. That is, [(velocity X bullet weight) / 1000] must reach a certain number. In the case of IDPA for Stock Service Revolver it's "105." For ICORE, it's "125." Steel competition has no PF rule - so I just use my IDPA rounds; as they are plenty soft shooting.

My IDPA round is a 148gn slug going 710 fps minimum (mine are actually in the 740 fps neighborhood).

My ICORE round is a 158gn slug going 760 fps minimum (mine are actually in the 785 fps neighborhood).

Hopefully this will give you a notion of what kind of "recoil," uhh, "snap" we're talking about. Yes, you often have to shoot in fairly rapid succession in all three of these action shooting disciplines (especially Steel), so quick sight recovery time is paramount.