The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old February 6, 2013, 06:45 PM   #1
jabames

Rifles hunting shows use?

Is there any hunting show/host/staff that uses a .30-06 or are most of the hunting shows today stricken with Magnumitis or some whizzbang cartridge 6.5 Whatever etc.

Last edited by jabames; February 6, 2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I rarely watch them, but I don't recall the cartridge being mentioned. Scope-sighted rifles of some sort. I guess the brand depends on which company is a sponsor.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:00 PM   #3
big al hunter

The sponsor gives them the new best killer on the market. TV personalities use the free stuff, we see the stuff, we buy the stuff. Money talks, tv sells. It's all about selling us guns, camo, ammo and scent killer/blocker/stopper.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:01 PM   #4
ScottRiqui

Yep. When watching TV, always remember that you are not the customer; you're the product.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

From what I can tell, they're the same cross section as the general population.

There was one show where the guy was trying to take every big game animal in North America with his grandfathers 30-30 lever.

One where some doofus shot an elk with a 375HH and then 2 more times before it could tip over and proclaimed "That's why you need a big gun for these animals!"

And everybody in between.
Old February 7, 2013, 12:06 AM   #6
Ben Towe

The Mountain Man guy uses a Hawken muzzleloader or a primitive bow.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:39 AM   #7
hooligan1

I used to watch a show where fellas shot their game from way out, like over 500 yds as the norm, with rifle/scope combos that you and I can't afford. Jim Shockey's show features mostly Muzzleloader action which I also like to an extent. I'm amazed by Realtree bunch and all of it's offshoots and how big they have made the name TC Prohunter and Venture.
Anyway I digress, I love to watch hunting shows, while the little women say's "go watch that at your friends house" mostly, once in awhile she'll let me and my kids group up and watch a show here.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:05 AM   #8
reloader28

I cant watch those hunting shows anymore. Theyre a joke and have completely degraded the real hunter into a rich, horn hunting, snob.

VERY, VERY rarely does one use a 30-06 and never a 30-30. Like Brian said, there was a show that the guy used a 30-30, but it didnt stay on long. Thats the one I liked.

Everyone of those so called professional hunters uses only what the sponser gives them. They all say its their favorite caliber, but everyone of them is lying.

Its ALL about the sponser, and the sponser whats to sell the newest thing out not something thats been around forever and everybodies already using.
Old February 7, 2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I like those hunting shows myself. Its a nice break from all the other crazy violent movies and shows being shown. Although I don't get as excited as the hunters on screen do. To watch someone else hunt and be successful kind of pleases me. But I've been heard out loud occasionally criticizing one hunter or another for his or her's poorly made shots on game that were filmed. But for the most part the scenery and the animals behavior in those shows are indeed interesting. This time of year. Those fellows & gals seen hunting on TV are where I would prefer to be no doubt. In reality where I am. (At the excited behest of my wife just now.) I've turned my head and I'm now looking out a window to cold reality with two feet snow on the ground and observe a large fawn walking down a city street in front of our house just moping along looking here & there at the different houses.~~ Huh!! strange.~~ "You know it ain't so bad being here after all."_
Old February 7, 2013, 06:41 PM   #10
warbirdlover

I like to watch the muzzle loading hunting shows because they have to actually hunt to get close enough.

Shooting animals at 1000 yards takes no hunting skill. They are just shooters.

When they start shooting animals at long distances using muzzleloaders I"ll never watch another one!
Old February 8, 2013, 12:11 AM   #11
kilotanker22

I like to watch bow hunting g shows.
Old February 8, 2013, 10:20 AM   #12
L_Killkenny

Just like in real life I see all sorts of different cartridges being used on the shows. Some new stuff for promotional reasons, some old, some big, some small, etc, etc. To be honest I don't recall any .30-06's but considering the number of available cartridges to choose from that's not all that much of a shock. I wouldn't classify the shows having a case of Magnumitis and definitely wouldn't blame the lack of .30-06's on such BS. The fact is that today there is many more popular cartridges than the .30-06 and most of those are that way for good reasons.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:33 AM   #13
Scorch

People actually watch hunting shows? That sounds about as much fun as watching tennis. I would rather go hunting. In fact, that gives me an idea . . .
Old February 8, 2013, 11:34 AM   #14
jmr40

Quote:
Unless you limit you shots to 15-20 yards you are not using any more hunting skills than the guy shooting at 1,000 yards.

I have no problem with guys who put in the time, money and effort to develop the skills necessary to cleanly take game at long range. Taking a game animal at 15 yards with a longbow takes hunting skills. It takes no more hunting skill to take an animal at 50 yards than 1,000. It is all about shooting skills with any animal outside of 50 yards, and with modern equipment it takes very little skill as a shooter to hit an deer inside of 300 yards.

The guys who proclaim they only take animals inside of 300 yards are neither highly skilled shooters nor hunters. And I'm not pointing fingers at anyone because I'm not skilled enough to consistently shoot at 500+ yards where shooting skill is a must. Nor can I consistently stalk to within 15 yards. I do have a tremendous amount of respect for those who have the skills to do what I cannot.

FWIW, I know quite a few who can consistently hit deer at 700 yards. Those are the same guys who also consistently take deer at 15 yards with their bows. They choose not to hunt at 50-300 yards because it is not challenging enough.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:03 PM   #15
L_Killkenny

Quote:
There is one hunting skill that trumps all others........... The ability to hit what you aim at. Doesn't make any difference if it's 10 yards, a 100 or a 1000. Without that HUNTING SKILL you buy your meat. You practice the skills that you want, they practice the skills they want. One is no better than the other.
Old February 8, 2013, 01:18 PM   #16
Scout

My problem with those shows is that they rarely discussed the caliber, load, etc.
Old February 9, 2013, 04:17 AM   #17
Keg

Quote:
There was one show where the guy was trying to take every big game animal in North America with his grandfathers 30-30 lever.
I missed that show..but sounds like something I would like.....
Old February 10, 2013, 05:59 PM   #18
BuckRub

agree with post #8. also I believe most deer shows are high fence and all the hype on how big the antlers are My opinion is its the experience and also with friends and family or making new friends and young bucks and does eat even better.
Old February 11, 2013, 04:54 PM   #19
Jack O'Conner

It's tough for me to watch these shows: poor grammer and childish antics remind me of dumbells armed with plastic stocked magnum rifles.

Jack.
Old February 11, 2013, 05:10 PM   #20
Joespapa

Any of you guys remember Capt. Tred Barta?
Old February 11, 2013, 05:38 PM   #21
PawPaw

I am comforted by the words of Col Cooper, when shown a new product and someone asked him what it was for? "Why, to sell, of course."

Gun companies and ammo manufacturers make new guns/calibers/bullets/etc to sell. There are lots of us who know that our old .30-06, or .30-30, or whatever cartridge will do the job that we need it to do. I don't believe I own a rifle where the cartridge was introduced after 1964. They kill with authority within their limits and I'm perfectly satisfied with their performance.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 11, 2013, 09:01 PM   #22
Cowboy_mo

I have given up on most of the hunting shows because most are filmed in hunting locations that most of us can't afford.

When I did purchase some of the products (not firearms but other equipment) endorsed by the "great hunters" they turned out to be junk!
Old February 12, 2013, 03:38 AM   #23
Keg

I don't know about huntin shows using a 30-06..but I do watch em....I try to stay clear of shows that are obviously high-fence canned hunts....I like 'Pigman the Series'....He recently hunted part of the ranch I hunt on and shot a couple management bucks....Plus he is from Groesbeck..one county over....I also like 'Meateater'....Also some of the bowhunting shows..I like Michael Waddell's style(Bonecollector) and 'The Crush' with Tiffany Lakosky..for obvious reasons.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20091116175136092.jpg (117.2 KB, 30 views)
Old February 12, 2013, 10:23 AM   #24
L_Killkenny

Agreed............ Kinda. It doesn't bother me that they hunt on closed ranches or large tracks of high fence. I've hunted hogs on one such high fence area and they're big enough to be challenging and real. But I can't afford to deer hunt on em, can't afford a guide, can't afford the tags. And to tell the truth deer hunting shows get pretty dang boring. Same scenery, same big deer.

But I do watch predator hunting shows. They're not high fence, terrain varies, licenses are cheap or free. That's about the only out of state hunting I can afford. Some are very poorly done (almost on the verge of being fake with all the cut aways and obviously bogus camera angles), some are pretty good. Hog hunting shows are pretty fun too for the same reasons. Cheap enough to afford being the big one.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:02 PM   #25
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, high fence doesn't mean squat if the pasture is a couple of thousand acres or more--which is the most common. I could high-fence the 100 acres of my southeast pasture and the only way you'd see a deer would be if he stood on his hind legs and waved at you.

But, since the subject of the thread is rifles, I guess the consensus seems to be that they don't really discuss rifles and cartridges all that much.
Closed Thread