The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2010, 08:11 PM   #1
dmitch4545

Reloading mentor

Hi guys - I'm thinking of starting to reload and would love to find a mentor in the Cleveland, OH area willing to help a newbie get started. I will be reloading handgun and rifle ammo.
Old January 4, 2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Bud Helms

That is an excellent idea. Good luck.
Old January 4, 2010, 09:23 PM   #3
David Wile

Hey folks,

There surely are some folks in the Cleveland area who live close enough to give Dmitch a hand here. I started at the side of great guy over 50 years ago, and I have done the same for quite a few since then. Just last year I made a new friend thanks to this forum. He saw some of my posts and noticed we lived right next to each other, and he asked if I would help him get started in metallic reloading. He has turned out to be a good learner, and I now have another good friend. Give it a try.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old January 4, 2010, 09:28 PM   #4
sserdlihc

I agree with Bud. My F-I-L mentored me in reloading. I was very fortunate. Wish you lots of luck!
Old January 4, 2010, 10:04 PM   #5
StainlessButcher

Perhaps one of the moderators would put up a sticky type "mentors wanted" list that us newbies could post to and any old timers in our neck of the woods could PM us off list to maintain anonymity if that's desired. I for one do not mind telling you fine people that I live near Fort Worth TX and would LOVE to have someone local help me get started...preferably someone who has not lost any limbs, appendages, eyes, ears, nose, etc from reloading accidents...LOL.

Butch.
Old January 4, 2010, 10:51 PM   #6
Randy 1911

If I lived in Ohio I would do it. You need to move to Arkansas. Besides the winters are better.
Old January 4, 2010, 11:19 PM   #7
Kyo

well, I will put my name in the hat to help folks in GA. I learned from a few sources, mainly the internet, the lee reloading book, and the directions with the press. Internet mostly. I decided my own first loads, and what and how I would go about reloading specific numbers of bullets.
Anyone needs it I am available in Atlanta/surrounding
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old January 5, 2010, 12:00 AM   #8
5R milspec

good help when you need it

well if I can help just ask.and if I cannot give you an answer I'll find it for ya.just over a year ago my coach passed away.and boy do I miss him.and now all that I have is the net.but I do feel that GOD was looking out for me.because he pointed out to me this computer.and ever since I started going to the site's that I go to I have meet some very good people.just plug into a few of the sites and read read read.even ask questions.but one thing to watch out for is that some do not like it when the same question is asked again.so look hard before you post a question.or do like me and just look over it and ask anyway.for me if someone is asking he needs an answer.and if I think I have a good answer I give it.

so if you want to go ahead and add me to your friend list.I love reloading and shooting.it allows me to meet people from all over the world.just wish that I didn't have to type out things all of the time.and welcome to the site.
Old January 5, 2010, 10:50 AM   #9
mrawesome22

My prospective mentor when I first started loading probably would have had me dead by now. When I met this person he told me "I like .308Win because you can just dip a case in any powder you want, fill it clear to the top, and don't have to worry about the gun blowing up." This was from a guy who has been reloading for years. Luckily I knew, from what I had been reading, that this was absolutely incorrect. I called him on it and he got mad. Oh well.

Anyway, get some books, do a lot of reading on the internet, and you'll get it.