The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 23, 2009, 09:50 PM   #1
♠_on_the_X

Thinking About a New Rifle and Have Some Questions

Hello everyone, this Christmas Season I'm planing to buy an Armalite AR-15 Rifle. At the Gun Club I go to they offer a Junior Shooter Program, and this is the rifle we use so I do have experience with the system. Though, I don't know what the "best" ammunition to use, whether it be Remington, Winchester, etc. My coach reloads all the rounds we use with his own load so I don't know what shells he uses or the load. To clean our rifles we use Butche's Bore Shine, this has worked well enough in the past but I was just wondering if there was a more efficient product out there. Magazine wise we use the standard .223 Magazine and it has worked well with only a few malfunctions here and there but once again I'm just curious if I should stick with it or if they're are better ones. Thank you any information is greatly appreciated.
-Aaron
Old December 23, 2009, 09:58 PM   #2
isanchez2008

There are dozens if not hundreds of products that will clean your barrel very well. Try different ones, see which one your prefer. I've used Butches Bore Shine, Sweets 7.62, Shooters Choice, Hoppes No. 9. My personal preference is Shooters Choice. That is all it is though, a preference. All these are great. As for mags of the AR type, I lean towards the Magpul Pmags w/window. I like the strength of the mag body, being able to check your rounds left in the magazine visually, reliability.
Old December 24, 2009, 07:07 AM   #3
fyimo

On gun cleaning you can use any number of bore cleaners as mentioned above and Shooter Choice and Hoppes #9 are two of my favorites.
Old December 24, 2009, 07:32 AM   #4
♠_on_the_X

How reliable are the Magpul Pmags?
Old December 24, 2009, 08:49 AM   #5
KMO

Quote:
How reliable are the Magpul Pmags?
I've never heard or read a single compalint about the Pmags. They seem to be as close to 100% favorable among users as a magazine can be.
Old December 24, 2009, 11:16 AM   #6
♠_on_the_X

In the way of ammo the store i go to has left is Winchester Supreme. What about the Winchester Supreme Ammunition if anyone knows. Like i said its the only 223 the sore around me has in stock and i dont know if thats a good or bad thing. but i have no idea if its good or bad ammo and how it can hold out at ranges of 300 yds. And I'm sorry for all the newbie questions but i just dont want to feed bad ammo into my new baby lol
Old December 25, 2009, 07:34 PM   #7
isanchez2008

The question is, are you proficient with the rifle to 300yrds? Also, the bullet weight of that particular round may or may not be appropriate for the rifling twist in your barrel. There is only one way to find out what ammo works well in your gun...try it! Win Supreme in my experience is decent ammo. Doesn't mean it will work for you though. I have used Pmags extensively and not had an issue. Test them in your gun to see how they perform.
Old December 25, 2009, 11:11 PM   #8
Bigfatts

The Win supreme is hunting ammo, isn't it? It will shoot well but is geared more towards killing than target shooting. If you want good target ammo look at Black Hills, Federal Gold, Buffalo Bore, etc. Match ammo is what you want for dedicated target work. It is more expensive, but if you want tight groups it's the way to go.
Old December 26, 2009, 11:48 AM   #9
♠_on_the_X

Thanks everyone

Tags
ar-15 , magazine