The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 12, 2009, 05:14 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

shotgun at auctionmaybe model 11

Ok, i saw an old shotgun at an auction today. There was a stainless shotgun I liked. It was reported to be a model 11. It was an auto loader and appeared like an A5 for the most part. Here is the odd thing, there was no bolt handle. There was a textured area on the barrel which you could grab and pull in and that would cock/chamber the first round. Could obviously get a little hot if you are firing a lot. It just seemed really odd to me. I have been looking at photos on google pics of both Rem model 11s and Browning A5s and have found none similar.

Looks like this, except in better shape. Even had the same recoil pad.
http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmit...03_012208C.jpg

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; July 12, 2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old July 12, 2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It's not a Model 11, which were made by Remington..

It's a Model 1911 Winchester. The model called "The Widowmaker".

At one time, Winchester would swap these for a Model 12, no questions asked.

The junker in the pics is an 11.

I'd give it a pass. While the 1911 was a good pointer, the drawbacks of the mechanism kinda leave me unenthused.

If you want a shooter, keep looking for an 11.

HTH....
Old July 12, 2009, 09:40 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

Well, my limit on it was $250 since I did not know anything about it. It sure looked neat. I will look up the Win 1911 to get some more info. I sure would not want to use that to shoot sporting clays or something or duck hunting. You might burn your hand in a hurry.

Thanks for the info.

http://www.icollector.com/images/115..._0049_1_lg.jpg
That would be it.
Old July 13, 2009, 07:26 AM   #4
Goatwhiskers

One thing to remember about the Winchester M11 is that when it was designed we were just coming into use of smokeless powder and what we call "low brass" or low power loads were considered to be high powered loads. The gun WAS NOT designed to use modern "high brass" loads and will fail due to the recoil. I had one in some years ago that would double on standard field loads, but worked just fine with trap loads. Here endeth the lesson. Goatwhiskers the Elder
Old July 13, 2009, 08:02 AM   #5
johnwilliamson062

well, that means it is pretty worthless. If I am shooting a string of 50 birds nad we move quickly I will not be aable to chamber rounds by the end. No wonder it was made for 14 years and I never heard f it...

I still may pick one up in the future to put in my collection as a unique design.
Old July 13, 2009, 12:20 PM   #6
amd6547

Winchester screwed up royally with John Browning and the Auto 5. Previously, Browning sold the rights to his designs to Winchester outright. With the Auto 5, Browning wanted royalties. Winchester said no, so Browning took his design to FN and Remington.
Seeing the sucess of the Auto 5, Winchester brought out the "widowmaker"...The reason it has no bolt handle, is that Browning had patented the the bolt handle.