The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 21, 2000, 02:19 PM   #1
Jack Straw

I was just wondering what type of grain R15 is and how well it meters. Speer 13 frequently has it as one of the top powders for .308 with a variety of bullet weights. What kind of shooting results have you had with it?

Also, how well does SR4759 meter? Since this will be for reduced .308 loads I'm not exactly worried about bench rest accuracy, but at the same time I don't want greatly different charges if I reload these on the 550.

Thanks

Jack
Old September 22, 2000, 01:15 PM   #2
Paul B.

Jack. RL-15 looks quite a bit like IMR-4895. If you were to put two piles of powder next to each other, one being RL-15 and the othe IMR-4895, I'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. They would, of course, meter through a measure about the same.
IMR-4759 is a short, fat, tubular power that is good for cast lead loads. I have two powder measures, an older Pacific, and two RCBS Uniflows. 4759 does not meter well for me in those, sometimes hanging up and sticking like the 4831's and similar types. I use it mostly in a 45-70.
Just as an aside, Winchester's W-748, according to them, was developed especially for the .308 Win. I just loaded some up to try. My pet loads use W-760, and while velocity is not the highest, they are good accurate hunting loads that I use for deer and elk in the .308.
I haven't used RL-15 in the .308. I'll have to look into that.
Paul B.