The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 18, 2002, 02:40 PM   #1
therookie

What the biggest thing anyone CCW's

Having a single shot .45 Derringer on your ankle is easy.

What's the most massive thing you can conceal, and how the hell do you do it (as long as its not some secret and you'll have to kill us after you tell us)? Unless of course you live in Alaska and keep your .44 Magnum and Naginata under your foot thick parka.....
Old March 18, 2002, 03:30 PM   #2
striderteen

I CCW a 16"/50 Mark 7 battleship cannon.
Old March 18, 2002, 03:35 PM   #3
therookie

Well you need that at USC....
Old March 18, 2002, 03:43 PM   #4
Jake 98c/11b

Largest I have carried was the Beretta 92 with a few extras.

Had a friend who carried a S&W 6.5 inch N frame in a Kramer IWB rig. This was his regular carry gun, not as a gimick.

Had another guy I know who carried a Wildey for a month just because he could, he then went back to a M1911A1 as was his habit.
Old March 18, 2002, 03:44 PM   #5
fix

Keeping it reasonable???

Para P14-45. Cargo pocket, lined with cardboard from shoebox to prevent printing. I proved my point to the owner, the point being that it could be concealed. I regularly carry a Springfield Mil Spec this way in warm weather. It's not a exactly a rapid presentation setup, but I prefer it to ankle holsters.
Old March 18, 2002, 03:46 PM   #6
coz

Having only recently gotten my CHL here in Texas, I'm dealing with this currently. I just bought an ankle holster at lunch today for use with my KelTec p-11. I considered my Springfield Ultra Compact V-10 as an ankle carry, but it's heavy. I am looking for a good IWB holster for it, but have yet to find one that is comfortable.

I'd prefer the .45 compact 1911 style.

I can carry the p-11 on the ankle comfortably, but come Houston Heat I have to have a under the shirt tail conceal.....

Cheers
Old March 18, 2002, 05:44 PM   #7
Dave R

I have carried a Browning Hi-Power IWB with no problem. A good holster and a good gun belt make a big difference in comfort.

But I currently carry a Kel-Tek P-11 IWB whenever possible. Its "even more comfortable" than the BHP.

When IWB is impractical, I carry a P-32 in a pocket holster. That's my "always gun."
Old March 18, 2002, 05:59 PM   #8
Carry24x7

I carried a Glock 21 (original version) in a black leather shoulder holster some years ago. I had to 'adjust' it for something halfway between horizontal and vertical to minimise its profile, but it worked over a t-shirt and under a pressed dress shirt. If you pull up on the tucked in pressed dress shirt about an inch you can get a blousing effect that hides a lot.

I easily carry a Desert Eagle Baby Eagle Compact Polymer IWB in a cheapo Uncle Mike's.
Old March 18, 2002, 08:07 PM   #9
Crimper-D

BHP Clone

I use a Yaqui Slide mounted on my weak side under a loose thigh length jacket... Works for Spring and Fall... Winter I carry under a parka and a flannel shirt with the tail out. Summer? = a PPK in my pants pocket...not Big, but adequate and concealed.
Old March 18, 2002, 08:36 PM   #10
Glamdring

One of my friends can hide an 8" Colt Anaconda 44 mag in a shoulder rig. But he was a big guy [tall & heavy]. He would put the shoulder rig over a T Shirt and wear a heavy button work shirt on top as a jacket to mask. He could also carry a 4" Speed Six in pants pocket though it wasn't very comfortable.

I don't live very close to him anymore, but we used to check how concealed our CCW's were by asking the other if they could spot gun(s) the other was wearing.

In my experiance comfort is the limiting factor for CCW. If you can stand the weight of a gun you can usually conceal it with a bit of effort.
Old March 18, 2002, 08:39 PM   #11
woodland

I know it's not practical in very many situations, but if the weather is cold and I'm wearing a heavy coat and not likely to be taking it off, ( fair, rodeo, etc., ) I have been known to carry my Desert Eagle .50AE . With two extra mags to boot! It's not right for every day, but if I get the chance I do like to carry it. It's not that heavy to me any more, after a job I had working out of a remote drilling camp in Alaska for four summers. Up there it was just part of getting dressed every day. I was never without it 24 hours a day. By the way, I did shoot a bear with it too. ( among other assorted unfortunate "wrong place, wrong time" critters. ) It worked rather well. So I know if I have to use it, if I hit'em, they're goin' down! HARD! Any way, that's the biggest I've carried.
Old March 18, 2002, 09:11 PM   #12
therookie

they don't get much bigger than that....
Old March 18, 2002, 10:42 PM   #13
Mannlicher

I carry a Smith N frame, a 25-5 in .45 Colt. The gun has a 6 inch barrel. It conceals well in a cross draw holster under a vest. The custom round butt helps a lot, as do the smooth grips.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old March 18, 2002, 11:29 PM   #14
yorec

Many years ago, I once carried a folding stocked SKS to dinner and a movie just to prove I could. Had shoulder sling rig that would allow the gun to come up from hiding behind and under my right arm and a long coat. Even the friends I was with looking for it couldn't see it. Deffinately not an everyday thing.

Nowadays a S&W 4"barreled 686 is a big as it gets.
Old March 18, 2002, 11:46 PM   #15
Dave T

On a fairly regular basis I conceal a Glock 21 under a jacket or vest (Concealed Carry Clothiers). For even thicker and heavier, I demonstrate to my CCW classes the importance of a quality holster design by carrying my 4" 625 in a Milt Sparks PMK under a light vest.
Old March 18, 2002, 11:51 PM   #16
priv8ter

One more reason I like the North West

Up here in Seattle, the weather allows me to get away with wearing a flannel or light jacket 80% of the years, so I carry a full size H&K USP .40 SOB. It's okay as long as I don't reach over my head to much at stores.
Old March 19, 2002, 01:52 AM   #17
BamBam-31

Ma deuce. In my swim trunks. Or so she thought....
Old March 19, 2002, 09:13 AM   #18
Hemicuda

Dan Wesson .44 mag with a 8.5" barrel, in a Bianchi vertical shoulder rig, under a tailored jean jacket...

.50 AE Desert Eagle, same type of carry... in a custom shoulder rig (the uncle-mikes was CRAP!)

Beretta Mini-Cougar 8040-F .40 Cal in a Galco "Jak Slide" belt slude holster, between the belt and the pants, with the end of the barrel in the top of my right rear pants pocket... with a "polo style" shirt, ordered a size too big, and in "tall", untucked... (boss buys 'em for me, with an innocuous construction company logo above the pocket) can't see the gun at all...

I just LOVEwhat quality leather can do to hide a gun... (tried cheap crap, printed like no tomorrow...)

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old March 19, 2002, 10:47 AM   #19
Jake 98c/11b

I have since remembered one of my old coworkers carried his H&K SP89 under his jacket in an Eagle rig but only for a few hours. I am beginning to think many would think of my regular carry gun as large. I have carried a Govt Mod .45 for a while now, I use the Galco NSA and can carry it under a T-shirt in the summer without any real trouble.
Old March 19, 2002, 11:04 AM   #20
Lictalon

I routinely carry my Beretta 92 concealed...Galco holster. I've been known to carry it IWB in the summer, but that leads to much paranoira.

I'm planning on a Kimber Ultra Carry for a CCW piece, just for comfort.

Of course, the largest thing I ever carried concealed was a Bushmaster AR-15. It's amazing how many people will never even look down on a city street...I had about three inches of teh bareel sticking out the bottom of my coat.

The things one will do to get a day at the range...
Old March 19, 2002, 05:06 PM   #21
Rickmeister

A CZ-75D PCR (Although I might carry a full-size 1911 on a cold day, which is rare in southern Texas.)
Old March 19, 2002, 09:22 PM   #22
MiloMorai

Either my full sized 1911 or my G17 if not both on occasion. Both IWB or shoulder holster. Smallest gun I have is an commander sized 1911. Tend to carry it alot more now that it's broken in.
Old March 20, 2002, 08:49 PM   #23
LASur5r

Big Guns

Since I am a small person, big to me has been an UZI, a .357 Desert Eagle, Government Model (5 inch), and 6 inch S & W Highway Patrolman (in .357 Magnum)
Old March 20, 2002, 09:10 PM   #24
kogatana

1911 is my limit.

I've seen one of my troops try this on sveral occassions with a long, heavy overcoat. It works.
-- KT, Sr. (sometime in ’55)
Old March 20, 2002, 09:31 PM   #25
mdlowry

.41 Tracker

It's still fairly cold up here in New England. My daily carry is a Taurus 425 Tracker in .41 magnum. 4" barrel that rides in a Kramer Belt Scabbard (OWB). 175 Gr silvertips + 2 speedloaders on the belt.