The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 12, 2018, 05:12 PM   #1
M88

Henry Big Boy or Winchester 1892 in 45 Colt

I have been wanting one of these for a while, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Narrowed it down to these two. Both in 45 Colt, both hold 10 rounds, both have 20" barrels, both have some history behind them, and both are (to me) beautiful looking rifles. CTD had the Henry for $656, and the Winchester for $846. Haven't found anybody selling them cheaper (new) after digging around a bit. Most places want more for them. Anyway... I can afford either, but thought I'd run it past anybody here who maybe have tried both and like one over the other? Thinking of buying it in a week or two so I have it by Aug.

Anybody here with any experience/wisdom on which one? At this point I like them both.
Old July 12, 2018, 07:30 PM   #2
jmr40

I wouldn't let $200 keep me from the Winchester. It is a pound lighter and has a loading gate. PLus, even though it is made in Japan, it is as close as practical to being a copy of the original.

I can appreciate that Henry builds nice looking rifles that function properly. But I can't warm up to them. They kinda, sorta, look like a traditional lever action from a distance, but they aren't.`

Winston Churchill
Old July 12, 2018, 07:41 PM   #3
M88

Thanks jmr... the $200 isn't the issue. Just don't know enough about either and liked both, which is why asked. Was looking for reasons to buy one over the other. The fact that the Winchester is "as close as practical" to being an original copy actually goes far with me. As for being made in Japan, so was I :-) Dad was in Korean war and when stationed in Japan I was born on an army base there. So far, a PLUS for the Winchester.
Old July 12, 2018, 08:21 PM   #4
PatientWolf

The Winchester rifle is likely lighter than the Henry.

On the other hand, if you are recoil sensitive, the extra weight will help.

If you picture yourself loading rounds into a loading gate,the Winchester is your option. If you don't mind tube loading and want to more easily be able to empty your rifle, it's the Henry.

Parts and service down the road will, in my opinion, be better with Henry. I speculate that based on the great reputation Henry has for service and the feeling I have been abandoned by Mikuro by them not offering replacement parts for a Browning '92 that I own.

If it were my money, I'd go with the Winchester. I love the smoothness of the '92 action, Mikuro makes a great rifle. I would expect that while the Henry will hold its value, the Winchester may increase in value (but that opinion may not even be worth what you paid for it).
Old July 12, 2018, 08:45 PM   #5
MarkGlazer

So, I purchased a Rossi a few years ago, simply because I wanted a lever. I love having a piece of nostalgia, even if it's just a replica. The most important lesson I have learned owning the gun is the ability (or lack thereof) to break it down for a proper cleaning.

Eventually I will buy another brand but I'll do more research before I make the purchase and the break down of the weapon will play a substantial factor in the decision.

I wish you well. Enjoy.
Old July 13, 2018, 01:44 AM   #6
DPris
Member Emeritus

The steel Winoku will be lighter than the brass Henry.
The Winoku 92 has been modified from Browning's original design, with largely unwanted "safety" features.
The Henry's loading tube is much easier on the thumb.
The Henry has no history behind it.

Both may be equally accurate.
Parts & service will be much better with Henry.

Buy whichever you like.

Denis
Old July 13, 2018, 08:42 AM   #7
M88

Several people I've talked to, including some in this thread now, have told me how "smooth" that '92 is. Unfortunately you can't load rounds into one and cycle it a few times in a gun shop. But the fact that folks keep saying that is a plus as there must be some truth to it. I don't mind the possible little extra kick of the Winchester due to it being a little lighter. I was looking at the steel Henry anyway rather than the brass one so not sure there would be significant difference. I definitely want it in 45 Colt though as I plan to start reloading that now that I have a Vaquero. I just like the 45 Colt round... huge, lots of history with it. Yes, have heard from gun shop talk that Henry has excellent aftermarket service, part available etc. THAT is a plus, but I'm leaning more now towards the '92. Browning in my mind was a genius, like John Garand. The fact that I'm shooting something close to his original design sans the safety stuff, is a plus. Like with my Vaquero, you can't get away from the "safety" upgrades to weapon design and I"m OK with that to a point.

Thanks for all this input... it's helping me make up my mind.
Old July 13, 2018, 10:55 AM   #8
DPris
Member Emeritus

One thing about the Henry- you'll find it easier to break down & reassemble for thorough cleaning than the '92.
Denis
Old July 13, 2018, 06:21 PM   #9
M88

Denis except for my Garands, which are just FUN to take apart, clean and put back together, I tend to be on the lazy side, and prefer easy take down and disassemble to clean. Like my Glocks, some of my wheelguns... Keep It Simple. I have the older version of the Ruger 22/45 before they made it simple to take down and I rarely clean it past the barrel because it's just a pain in the butt. So the Henry being easier to take down for cleaning would be a plus.
Old July 13, 2018, 07:24 PM   #10
DPris
Member Emeritus

There are now videos you can watch, but the first time I took a Rossi 92 apart it took me five hours to get it back together again.

The Henrys are based on Marlin designs, much easier to get apart AND back together.
Denis
Old July 13, 2018, 10:23 PM   #11
lamarw

I have the Big Boy Carbine, H006CR, in .45 Colt. It is fun to shoot and appears well built. It is an eye catcher. I acquired it over a year ago from Bud's for $673 which included free shipping.

I have zero experience with the Winchester 1892. So, I am of no help there.

My most difficult decision when I purchased was whether to buy the .45 Colt or the .357 Magnum. I sort of liked the idea of having it with my S&W Model 25 Mountain Gun revolver .45 Colt. The two also look good together.
Old July 14, 2018, 11:12 AM   #12
MINSH101

I'm also looking for a lever action. I've decided on getting a Henry. For no other reason than it's made in American or more made at all.
Old July 14, 2018, 12:15 PM   #13
Pathfinder45

The Marlin 1894 Cowboy is what I chose.
Old July 14, 2018, 12:26 PM   #14
TruthTellers

If you're gonna buy a .45 Colt rifle, you may as well get the 1892 action for the strength to shoot the hot loads. I don't believe the Henry is able to do this, so I would go with the Winchester. Loading gate=WINNING.

Henry makes good rifles and I love the company, they made a .327 rifle and I'll forever be thankful for that.
Old July 14, 2018, 12:51 PM   #15
DPris
Member Emeritus

Both the brass and steel Henry will handle hot .45 Colt loads every bit as well as the 92 action.
I could mention testing done, but I won't, because some idiot would go too far.
Denis
Old July 14, 2018, 06:12 PM   #16
M88

I'm meeting somebody at a range in a few days who will bring his Winchester "92 in 45 so I can try it out. I have no reason be think either the Henry or the Winchester could handle the 45 Colt load... the issue it how it will feel when I shoot it, among other things. Thanks for the input so far.
Old July 14, 2018, 07:51 PM   #17
dgludwig

Quote:
I wouldn't let $200 keep me from the Winchester. It is a pound lighter and has a loading gate. PLus, even though it is made in Japan, it is as close as practical to being a copy of the original.

I can appreciate that Henry builds nice looking rifles that function properly. But I can't warm up to them. They kinda, sorta, look like a traditional lever action from a distance, but they aren't.
I agree completely with jmr40's reasoning. Winchester for me too and, though I'm a "traditionalist" to the bone, for whatever reason I'm not in the least bothered by the Jap safety trappings.
Old July 14, 2018, 08:40 PM   #18
DPris
Member Emeritus

In the case of the Winoku 92s, it's not that they're non-traditional, it's that the modifications negatively affect function & feel.
If they don't bother you, then go for it.
Denis
Old July 15, 2018, 04:13 AM   #19
eastbank

92 clone hands down, for me. another plus is if or when you decide to sell your 92 its resale value will be higher than a henry.
Old July 15, 2018, 09:37 AM   #20
Drm50

The Win hands down. Marlin & Henry both are just as strong as Win. They are
both heavier too. I'm not going to quibble over loading gates and safeties. If
looking for customer service Henry is hard to beat. Marlin customer service
under Remington makes you want to beat them. The Marlin is not forgiving on
AOL if you are a loader. The Wins don't seem to have near the issues of Henry
or Marlins made under Remington. The Marlin is a nice gun if you can find a
nice JM, pre Rem. I have a couple Marlin 1894s and couple 1892 Wins that
are approx 100yrs old and never had any serious problems. Also have a couple
Marlin 94s in 44mg from 70 and have had no problem with them either.
Old July 15, 2018, 12:14 PM   #21
Dufus

Quote:
If you're gonna buy a .45 Colt rifle, you may as well get the 1892 action for the strength to shoot the hot loads. I don't believe the Henry is able to do this, so I would go with the Winchester. Loading gate=WINNING.

Henry makes good rifles and I love the company, they made a .327 rifle and I'll forever be thankful for that.
I love the company, too. Made in the USA.

If the Henry can handle the pressures of the 44 Mag, 357 Mag, etc, then they can well handle any "hot" load of a 45 Colt.
Old July 15, 2018, 12:46 PM   #22
JWT

The Winchester if for no other reason than it has a loading gate. I have Winchesters and I have Henrys. The Henry has an exceptionally smooth action and I like it, but I'd really like it if I didn't have to load it through the tube.
Old July 15, 2018, 02:28 PM   #23
idek

I've seen mutliple comments about weight, but i don't think I saw anything about fit. I'd condsidered a '92 clone in .357, but when I was actually able to shoulder one, the stock felt too short (length of pull is around 13" or a little less). Also, the angle of the stock was wrong for me, and, in order to get the correct eye-to-sight alingment, the toe of the crescent-shaped butt plate poked uncomfortably into my shoulder.

Obviously, many people don't have that problem, but it is something to consider. I ended up with a JM Marlin instead.

I later bought a basic Henry .22 (not the Golden Boy type) and that fit me very well.

Last edited by idek; July 15, 2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old July 15, 2018, 04:06 PM   #24
Crunchy Frog

Pay a little more and get the Winchester Miroku 1873. They didn’t change the original design as much as they did with the 1892.
Old July 15, 2018, 04:52 PM   #25
M88

All good feedback... I'm on the short side, and tend to fit "shorter" rifles better than some bigger guys. Again, in a day or so will be at a range with a buddy that is bringing his 92, so will see how it fits me. I also am leaning towards the Win because I also would prefer a gate rather than tube loading. As silly as it may sound, the "cool" factor loading a gate on the side of the rifle appeals to me more than loading a tube. As for the 1873... didn't even know of that rifle, will look into that.

BTW, as much as I often long for simpler days before all the electronic gadgets, I'm still a sucker for using them. As we speak I'm rolling down I-75 in Georgia (as a PASSENGER!) with laptop in front of me fed from a WiFi hotspot on my iPhone that's grabbing cell tower signal. Life is good!