The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 15, 2014, 04:59 PM   #1
Pongo357

Help! Reblue

I'm rebluing a Model 49 S&W. Is the sideplate of a different material than the frame and cylinder? It's not taking the blue at all. Suggestions, hints, any kind of help. I'm using Oxpho Blue
Old February 15, 2014, 07:20 PM   #2
Roughedge

You need to hot blue it, oxpho is mostly for touch up. Try heating it up a little and see if it takes. Not red hot just warm.
Old February 18, 2014, 04:33 PM   #3
Pongo357

I'm not set up for hot blue, or I would. I tried heating it and it's still not taking.
Old February 18, 2014, 04:38 PM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Was the sideplate blued beforehand? Could it be a stainless plate? Check to see if its magnetic or see if a magnet will stick to it.
Old February 18, 2014, 05:14 PM   #5
Pongo357

The magnet sticks. And yes, it was blued before.
Old February 18, 2014, 05:34 PM   #6
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds almost like it is a 400 series stainless, as magnets will stick, and the 400 series will rust a small bit, but it is about impossible to color without hot bluing with specialized salts. That, or it has some high amount of an alloy in it that is stubborn to taking a cold blue.

The only thing I might recommend, would get some Brownell's Dicropan T4, and heating the part to around 212 degrees in an oven, to see if it will take. This is a hot water blue, but has been used by heating the part in an oven. If this won't touch it, you'll most likely have to send it out.
Old February 18, 2014, 05:48 PM   #7
Pongo357

Ok, thank you
Old February 18, 2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

You're welcome.

I might add, you will probably have to apply the blue four to five times, while using steel wool in between. Heat the part, take it out, apply the bluing, steel wool, then re-heat. It should get darker each time. Also, you will most likely have to do the rest of the gun this way to get it to match.
Old February 19, 2014, 02:15 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Oxpho blue is a good cold blue, but it is a cold blue. Even if applied as Dixie Gunsmithing suggests, it will not stand up very long to even normal handling. I generally discourage folks from using any kind of cold blue; the result is usually a gun with no original finish and a spotty finish that looks like h.... well, a cold blue job. I have compared using cold blue on a gun to using canned spray paint on a car; it might be OK for touching up a small ding, but doing a whole car that way is not advisable (to put it mildly).

Jim
Old February 19, 2014, 03:51 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

Rust bluing is the only alternative that works, looks good, and holds up.
While it is relatively labor-intensive, it is no more so than the effort you will expend trying to get cold bluing to look right (and it never will.)
Old February 22, 2014, 06:06 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

I agree with Bill. For home bluing that's a real iron oxide blue and not selenium coloring, as the cold blues are, and that doesn't have the dangers of molten hot bluing salts involved, rust bluing is the way to go. Search the forum and I'm pretty sure you'll find more than one past thread that describes it pretty completely. It will not be as glossy or quite as black as a real S&W blue. To my eye it's a little more like the blue on my grandfathers old Colt Police Positive.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 24, 2014, 10:52 PM   #12
Midlandgunner

Rust blue it. I just completed a S&W Pre Model 10 using Mark Lee Express Blue #1 from Brownells.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s&w50.jpg (178.2 KB, 31 views)