The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 13, 2009, 05:35 PM   #1
smee78

Rossi 92 45lc

So the other day I was dropping by my local pusher to put a payment on my Redhawk 45lc and just happen to pick up a levergun off the used rack to look at and see that it is a blued Rossi in 45lc......My hands started to ache at the thought of putting it back on the rack because I know that I cannot afford it. I look down at the price and see that it is marked $300.00, Now I am thinking I can afford that. So I put some money down on it and a am waiting to pay it off and get it home. It is a early model imported by interarms with a 20" barrel and a low serial number. Is there anything I need to know about these guns? Is there anything anyone can tell about them? I am not new to leverguns, I have a few Marlins in 30-30 and a 44mag. I found Steve Youngs website and he seems to be the man to go to with any problems. What say ya'll

Thanks,
Sme78
Old December 13, 2009, 06:26 PM   #2
smee78

I didn't ask about a Marlin, I know about a Marlin, I own a few. Please try to stay on topic.

Thanks,
Old December 13, 2009, 06:36 PM   #3
olyinaz

They are not junk at all and many thousands have been sold and are enjoyed, especially by cowboy action shooters and lever gun lovers who like pistol rounds in lever guns. What they're not is $800 Italian or $1000 Japanese 1892 copies - they're $400 guns. So with that in mind the wood is not as nice (often it's downright fugly), the metal fit/finish can be so-so (espeically the butt plate), and the sights are not especially great.

They usually work just fine and if you want to know more about them visit this forum: http://www.levergunscommunity.com/

As you noted, this smith specializes in tuning them: http://www.stevesgunz.com/

I have a 16" Winchester in .357, a 16" Rossi in .357, and a 20" Chiappa in .45 Colt. I like the Chiappa best by far but they're ALL great and we have fun with all of them.

Best,
Oly

Last edited by olyinaz; December 13, 2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old December 13, 2009, 06:43 PM   #4
Tombstonejim

I also have one and there is nothing wrong with it.
Old December 13, 2009, 06:47 PM   #5
eastbank

i have a navy arms import and it,s not a win 92 by a long shot but then again its nice,works well and did not cost a bundle, i had a eary rossi and i finely gave up on it and bought a win 92,now thats some thing to write home about. eastbank.
Old December 13, 2009, 06:47 PM   #6
olyinaz

Quote:
I also have one and there is nothing wrong with it.
Hey post a picture of it on top of a big pile of ammo! We're all easily impressed after all.

Oly
Old December 13, 2009, 06:54 PM   #7
MacGille

I sold my Winchester 94 to replace it with a Rossi for Cowboy Action shooting. The safety on the Winchester caused me to lose a stage at the national shoot. The Rossi looked good and shot fine. I never had a misfire with it and it was accurate enough for CAS. I sold it when I quit CAS (too much work) because I have no other use for a pistol caliber carbine.

As far as precision goes I never shot a group with it, so I don't know how good it was. As far as accuracy goes, I could hit a steel silhouette at CAS ranges every time. By the way I always shot Black powder in it.(SS rifle)
If ye love wealth better than Liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from us in Peace. We ask not your counsel or Arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. --Samuel Adams--<*ixoye><
Old December 13, 2009, 07:04 PM   #8
smee78

I did not start this thread to discusses Winchester or Marlins, I know they are apples vs pears vs oranges. I just wanted to know from anyone with personal experience with the rifle in question. For thoes of you who gave your personal experience thanks

Thanks,
Smee78
Old December 13, 2009, 07:10 PM   #9
Sarge

Smee,

I do indeed have some experience with the Rossi in .45 Colt; more here if you're interested.

They are excellent little guns. Probably their worst liability is that they have odd-sized sight dovetails, which can complicate replacing the sorry ones that come on the gun. $300 is a steal at today's prices.
Old December 13, 2009, 07:21 PM   #10
smee78

Sarge,

Thanks for the run down on your Rossi, I like your review, it is well rounded. I hope mine is just as fun to shoot. Mine is a pre safety and that is one of the things that sold me on it.
Old December 13, 2009, 07:37 PM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Another vote on the Rossi, run don't walk to go get it. My next long gun after I get my 10 gauge will be a 454 Rossi Puma. Rossi revolvers used to have a pretty spotty reputation because quality control wasn't up to par. The company has matured, products have improved since then just like Taurus has. Don't let brand smurfs bother you.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 13, 2009, 09:48 PM   #12
gak

+1 Run and get it, don't walk. I have had seven or eight of the Rossis, all pre-safety and 3/4 of them Interarms era. Even that era had a mix of better periods of wood, and not as good (there was an odd period of near-black stain, sort of "mystery" wood). Contrary to many blanket statements about older Rossis, mine all had better looking and finished wood than any of the recent years' Legacy (LSI) and current Rossi-branded guns. All have been functionally great guns. Steve Young (aka Nate Kiowa Jones) even has a new fix for the cheap rear sights on the odd-dovetail'd Interarms (and LSI) guns--modifying them for semi-buckhorns on, ...as well as other sight packages for any Rossi 92.
Old December 14, 2009, 08:27 AM   #13
smee78

Gak,

Mine has really dark wood on it as well, I thought the owner before me put some kind of stain or oil on it. Is it best to leave it as it sits or can it be lightened up some?
Old December 14, 2009, 09:49 AM   #14
PetahW

While I have a later Rossi, many owners of the earlier Rossi's with the dark/black wood used a chemical stripper & Tru-Oil to make theirs a fairly-decent-looking stock(s).

If you're considering adding a receiver peep sight, an alternative to the usual side-mount would be to top mount a peep meant for a Win 94AE via D/T'ing one hole in the top/rear of each receiver side rail/wall:

The Williams 5D or FP sighting bar rides behind the base, allowing the bar to sit low on the bolt - thereby allowing a good zero with the issue-height front sight.

Old December 14, 2009, 10:47 AM   #15
olyinaz

You can fine steel wool it with some linseed oil and a lot of the dark stain will sluff off as you're doing that. Just remember that a product like Tru Oil or anything that has driers in it will seal in whatever you're doing when it dries and require stripping itself to remove if you decide you don't like the look. I usually work in raw linseed until I get the look I like, then let it dry for a few weeks before finishing/sealing with Tru Oil for a nice weather resistant finish. I've discovered the hard way that getting in a hurry often results in a re-do.

Beware, however, that sometimes the reason why it's so dark is because the wood underneath is some sort of jungle wood that can have a really weird grain. I've seen some that looked great after working on them, and others that looked really odd.

Best,
Oly
Old December 14, 2009, 02:34 PM   #16
smee78

Thanks guys,
I will have to give it a good going over before I strip it to make sure I dont have a piece of problem wood that I did not know about.
Old December 14, 2009, 03:22 PM   #17
eastbank

my 1892 rossie puma 44mag was a pain in the neck, rough as a cob in side, i spent a lot of time takeing it down and polishing all the rough insides and putting it back to gether(i am now a expert on the 92 desing). i never did get to the dark wood as i sold it. i have a few real 1892 winchesters and they are what the clones strive for. i also have a navy arms short rifle in 44-40 and i am quite pleased with it. it has worked from day one,i have not done a thing to it except shoot it, it has real walnut not stained some kind of wood. fit and finish are ex for the price and it handles 23grs of imr 4227 with a 200gr jacketed bullet, 17grs imr 4227 with a 200gr lead bullet with out a hitch. eastbank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1320.jpg (272.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 1322.jpg (271.7 KB, 34 views)
Old December 14, 2009, 10:20 PM   #18
Tidewater_Kid

I had an '92 EMF (made by Rossi) in .45LC. The EMF rifles had Walnut stocks. I traded for what I thought was a rare surplus rifle. I have missed that rifle and wish I had not gone to the gun shop that day. Enjoy your new rifle. I envy you.

TK
Old December 15, 2009, 05:10 PM   #19
smee78

Thanks guys for all the great info, I will post pics and a range report when I get it off of lay-a-way.
Old December 15, 2009, 06:58 PM   #20
garryc

Quote:
It is a early model imported by interarms with a 20" barrel and a low serial number.

which would mean it doesn't have that stupid saftey. I like mine thought it took a while to break in. I say and cycled it about 50 times a day. I always need a gun setrting by the computer just to fiddle with anyway.
Old December 15, 2009, 08:37 PM   #21
smee78

That is correct, "no stupid safety" was one of the reasons I bought it.