The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 20, 2017, 05:06 PM   #1
PlatinumCore16

Scope for 1000yd/m Shooting

So I'm looking for a precision, tactical turret, scope for 1000yd/m shooting (I know that 1000yd does not = 1000m, but I'm not ruling mrad scopes out, so just keeping my options open). I recently purchased an MVP LC from my buddy, but he didn't have the scope package Vortex 4-16x44 on it that I was hoping for. So I just figured I'd sell the scope he had on it (a pretty good diamondback) and save up for the Vortex HST 4-16x44. After thinking more on it, I'm not really beholden to this scope, but I was curious if anyone had any other opinions?

Again, this is for a 308, 1000yd/m rifle, budget under $1000. My biggest question is: is 16x enough magnification for 1000yd/m shooting? I am leaning towards mrad. I definitely want movable/tactical/sealed turrets. I will probably never be hunting with this gun as I have another 308 for that. I don't care about illumination. Not too worried about weight either. I also am not beholden to a variable, but figured that a variable would be useful for close in shots vs. a full 1000yd/m. I liked the Vortex for it's $550ish price tag while having great reviews and backed by a great warranty.
Old December 20, 2017, 05:14 PM   #2
TXAZ

I shoot 600 and 1000 yards and I’m not aware of anyone using a 16x scope. Most are 24 & up.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 20, 2017, 09:19 PM   #3
USSR

I shot 1,000 yard F Class for 6 years with a 6.5-20X and 6-24X scope, and I can't think of a time that I had it dialed in to greater than 18X due to mirage. IMHO, 16X is darn near ideal for 1k shooting.

Don
Old December 20, 2017, 10:18 PM   #4
ms6852

My 2 cents is this. The more you magnify the fuzzier your target becomes because you are also magnifying mirage, haze, and other atmospheric conditions that add to the problems. Spend your money on a better optical scope with less magnification. I have yet to shoot long distance with my scope magnified beyond 9X. I would buy with your budget a 3X9 or 2.5 X 10. I have this scope on my 30-06 and have taken it out to 1200 yards. It is the Nikon Monarch 7 and
yes it has a BDC reticle for me this set up works. I zero the rifle at 200 yards and the bottom reticle is dead on at 600 yards using a 175 grain bullet. At this point I just figure the drop from 600 to 1200 yds and dial it. The beauty of this setup for me is that I do not have to use a 20 Moa mount because the scope offers 92 Moa of elevation and windage. The other recommendation would be the night force which has 90 Moa of elevation. To get out there you will need the elevation adjustments on your scope. You will give that up if you go with higher magnification scopes that depending on conditions you will never use the max zoom.https://www.midwayusa.com/product/97...-reticle-matte
Old December 20, 2017, 10:38 PM   #5
PlatinumCore16

Awesome, thanks for all the different opinions

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old December 21, 2017, 02:17 AM   #6
Mozella

Quote:
I have yet to shoot long distance with my scope magnified beyond 9X.
I'll take the opposite side of this discussion.

I regularly shoot 600 yd F class matches where the X ring is 3" in diameter. Under all but the worst conditions I use maximum power on my scopes, in two cases that's 50 power and on one scope that is 60 power. I have NEVER seen an F-Class competitor using 9 power. I think the lowest maximum magnification power normally seen on our firing line is 36 power, but most are higher than that.

We frequently adjust our horizontal hold in increments as small as one inch. To do that correctly, you need a relatively powerful scope.

I can't imagine shooting 1000 yards with a 9 power scope unless the target is a house.
Old December 21, 2017, 04:25 AM   #7
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
I'll take the opposite side of this discussion.

I regularly shoot 600 yd F class matches where the X ring is 3" in diameter. Under all but the worst conditions I use maximum power on my scopes, in two cases that's 50 power and on one scope that is 60 power. I have NEVER seen an F-Class competitor using 9 power. I think the lowest maximum magnification power normally seen on our firing line is 36 power, but most are higher than that.

We frequently adjust our horizontal hold in increments as small as one inch. To do that correctly, you need a relatively powerful scope.

I can't imagine shooting 1000 yards with a 9 power scope unless the target is a house.
No, I agree with you Mozella, I am not a competition shooter shooting for bullseye . I shoot at gongs. I can understand you needing that type of magnification. I should have clarified that my conditions in West Texas with temperatures reaching 100+ degrees is not conducive to high magnification. My targets are larger than your 3'' bullseye, mine are gallon milk jugs filled with koolaid or steel targets. I assumed the OP was doing my kind of shooting instead your kind...competition. And as far as shooting 1000 yards at a house than I would venture to say that you probably do not shoot a Sharps 1874 45/70 rifle using 405 grain cast bullets with vernier sights. It is very doable.

Last edited by ms6852; December 21, 2017 at 04:31 AM.
Old December 21, 2017, 10:40 AM   #8
Jim Watson

I am a while out of F class, but I was shooting 300-1000 yards at 20-24X depending on the light and mirage. The trend is always upward, as Mozella shows.
The precision snipper shooters have not gone so high, but I venture to say there are not many 9x out there.

As far as the Sharps goes, if you are shooting a 405 grain .45-70 bullet at any great distance, it ought to be at a house. Most of the .45-xx mid and long range shooters I know load 500-540 grain bullets. I am shooting a 404 grain .40 caliber.
Old December 21, 2017, 10:54 AM   #9
PlatinumCore16

All great thoughts. Yes, with the gun I currently have, I don' think I'll be shooting at anything more than steel targets, though I'm not sure what size. There's only 1 major range by me that I know goes out to 1000yds. I think there might be another one, but it's private and I haven't committed to getting any memberships yet. I live in CO, so while we won't really see the Texas heat some of yall do, I will certainly see some days that get into the 90s and the occasional 100degrees on the thermometer. Just looking to hit steel at this point and if I really want to get more accurate, I'm thinking that it's more likely I will spend the money on a new action/barrel than a scope.
Old December 21, 2017, 09:33 PM   #10
std7mag

You may want to check out Primary Arms. Decent( read not top of the line, but decent) for a decent price.

Currently i've been researching the Sightron STAC.
Old December 21, 2017, 10:55 PM   #11
CalmerThanYou

I recently bought the Athlon Cronus 4.5x29x56 MIL for just under 1k
Seems to punch above it's price class. Great glass and eye relief.
Turrets are a touch less precise than some, but proving to be a nice compromise between price and quality. Like most it is a bit heavy at 35.8 oz Sits on my RPR so it is already a slab.
Old December 22, 2017, 01:37 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

"...more you magnify the fuzzier your target becomes..." More about the smaller field of view, but all that does get magnified too.
There's no such thing as a "tactical" anything. It's a marketing term only.
"...the X ring is 3" in diameter..." 5" at 800 to 1000. Use the highest magnification you can afford.
"...can't imagine shooting 1000 yards with a 9 power scope..." It's done with iron sights all the time. snicker.
Old December 22, 2017, 02:14 PM   #13

I am also a gong shooter, not F-Class.

My primary rifle has a Vortex Razor HST Gen II that goes to 27x, but I have more rifles than I do money and my other long range rifles have SWFA SS-16x scopes on them and they do fine at long range. Obviously in my case, I bought those 16x SS scopes because they are inexpensive and they have a very good reputation. They are not in the same class with higher end scopes but at 16x they work OK.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old December 22, 2017, 03:15 PM   #14
Jim Watson

Quote:
"...can't imagine shooting 1000 yards with a 9 power scope..." It's done with iron sights all the time. snicker.
And the scoring rings are twice the diameter. Or really, the NRA reduced the diameter of the F class (originating in your country ) rings because scopes and bipods made the regular Highpower target too easy.