The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 17, 2014, 12:21 PM   #51
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I guess I'm a discriminating kind of guy.__ My wants in handgun are usually found to be in high end products only such as (H & Ks line.) Not that I'm a snob. More so because of it's importance to me and mine. My stringent requirements of absolute reliability and accuracy come first and foremost verses I can get by with something cheaper. {Thus I actually get what I pay for when it comes to a outside (shown) carry and CCW's.}__Rifles-Shotguns on the other hand I considered a simple tool occasionally used for my entertainment. So I'm happy with anything that grabs my attention. From a black powder Fowler to a Custom built center fire. Anything and everything is pleasing to my eye when it comes to hunting long guns. {Well almost. I really don't have much interest in today's tactical weapons or the ammo they use.}
Quote:
So which do I like better.
I guess I would say its long guns. As they interest me in a light heart'ed way. Where as pistols/revolvers are serious business and a subject I'm hesitant at times to engage in small talk about.

oops

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; February 18, 2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: oops nothing added
Old February 17, 2014, 09:00 PM   #52
tony pasley

handgun or rifle, rifle or handgun, well lets get the best of both a Colt buntline with detachable stock then we don't have to decide
Old February 18, 2014, 09:17 AM   #53
8MM Mauser

I prefer handguns. Why? I do not know. I got into guns with rifles; but like another poster stated, I am right handed but left-eye dominant, so handgun shooting is more natural for me, whereas I have to close an eye to shoot rifles or shotguns. I can shoot a handgun in either hand passably though my performance is dramatically better two handed. I can manage a pretty quick snap shot with a rifle, but my follow through sucks because I have to choose between seeing my surroundings and keeping an eye in the scope, plus, that eye being weaker it takes me longer to focus in. I am a decent shot with a rifle, I can put up a 2-3 group from a semi supported position at 100 yards shooting five rounds quickly. Ok but not great.

Handguns are just more fun to shoot; it is faster paced but also less involved. I stay proficient with my rifle because I hunt with it and while I do enjoy shooting it the set up is always more of a chore, for example the 100 walk between groups. With a pistol I often set up several targets that I will double-tap one after the other, ending in one of those spinning metal targets. There are all kinds of "drills" and games I play with handguns that I wouldn't with a rifle. I would never ever give up my rifle, but I have more fun shooting handguns. In contrast to some others here I actually maintain rifle skills in a utilitarian way more than anything because I think a grown man ought to be able to shoot a rifle passably. With handguns it is more fun, it is a quick set up and the time between mags and new targets is much smaller.

I also love shooting clays.

Now, all that said, part of my problem with the rifle is that I only have access to a 100 yard range, so I don't feel at all challenged by it really. I sometimes shoot my target model Ruger MKII at 50 yards, and it is an interesting challenge. 100 yards with a Mauser though? It's too easy.

Overall, handguns, but I wouldn't ever let the long guns go.
Old February 18, 2014, 11:23 AM   #54
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

It's according to the application.

I used a Hi-Standard .22 auto pistol when I coon hunted. It shot better than a rifle, for the purpose, and I didn't have to lug a rifle with me. I always hunted with a partner, who would hold the light on the game, while I used mine for the sights, and if I could see the bugger, no more than one to two shots, and the boar/sow hit the ground.
Old March 5, 2014, 11:54 PM   #55
cookie5

I enjoy shooting handguns best. I don't by proper definition consider any of my handguns weapons other than my concealed carry piece. The rest are range toys used for plinking, target and range competition sports. Hunting / varmit control I use a rifle.
Old March 6, 2014, 09:14 AM   #56
Panfisher

Handguns are fun, shotguns are tools, Rifles are tools, fun and serious.
Old March 6, 2014, 05:46 PM   #57
GAMEOVER

Handguns are only good to get you to your rifle.
Old March 6, 2014, 09:45 PM   #58
Willie D

Rifles. I might also be a "Quigley"; I shoot rifle far better than handgun.

Honestly, if I had a Hickock45 setup I might be more inclined to work on my handgunning but shooting paper from 7 to 25 yards is dullsville and so long as I am adequate with accuracy I don't have much impetus to shoot more.
Old March 6, 2014, 10:04 PM   #59
jersurf101

In my younger days I was a handgun guy. I prided myself on the how fast I was from the holster(for work) and combat accuracy.

That said there is truth to the words that the sole reason for a pistol is to get back to your rifle in an emergency. A rifle is a much more versatile tool and there is a reason they are fielded by worlds major armies. Now I enjoy a good carbine for plinking.