The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 27, 2010, 08:52 PM   #1
beedge

competition rifle project ideas

Im looking for suggestions on a .22LR rifle to take from new out of the box and modify it. I have some gunsmithing experience so im not afraid to do some serious modifications. Any ideas?
Old February 27, 2010, 08:56 PM   #2
zoomie

http://www.thecmp.org/22targetsurplus.htm
http://www.thecmp.org/22targetcommercial.htm
Old February 27, 2010, 09:03 PM   #3
beedge

I was looking at those before and they were giving me some ideas but im looking to take a basic model and completely reconfigure it.
Old February 27, 2010, 09:09 PM   #4
zoomie

Then I'd get a bare action. Just a 10/22 or 40x. Or even better, a Kidd or Volquartsen receiver. Thread it, bed it, etc, etc, etc. That's what I'd do if I wanted to truly build my own 22.
Old February 28, 2010, 10:01 AM   #5
4EVERM-14

beege, Do you know the final purpose for the rifle? What type of shooting will it be used for.? A lot of factors and competition rules may influence how the rifle is assembled. If it will be an all out fun gun then let your checking account be your guide.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old February 28, 2010, 11:12 PM   #6
beedge

I would like to start out by shooting for fun until I feel ready enough to compete in either NRA or CMP rimfire.
Old March 1, 2010, 05:52 PM   #7
4EVERM-14

For sporting guns the NRA has the Light Rifle program. Any safe .22 rimfire with minimum 2 lb. trigger and maximum 8 1/2 lb. weight. Time is usually 1 minute/shot. It could be 20,40,120shots depending on the match program. And could also be shot from various positions.[Standing, kneeling, prone].
The CMP has a similar program but theirs includes rapid fire events. 5 shots in 30 seconds for manually operated guns[ bolt action lever, slide action] and 5 shots in 25 seconds for semi-autos.
For either of these assembling a 10/22 or bolt gun would be a interesting adventure. zoomies' ideas are good ones. This type set up could also be used in Rimfire Silhouette.
The NRA also has the traditional precision prone and position matches. If you're building a gun for this type of shooting be prepared to write a lot of checks.
Remember that shooting competitions are really social events. It's not a blood sport. People who enjoy shooting getting together to have fun. Shoot whatever you have.
You project looks interesting. I might do something like that myself.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100