The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 26, 2017, 10:13 PM   #26
shuvelrider

I agree with DT Guy. I have a .41 NMBH that wandered on the target. Turned out to be a loose rear sight. It was wiggling on the roll pin that held it in place. I removed it, and "upset" the edges of the sight with a pin punch and re-installed. No more problems. The sight had become loose over some time though. By upsetting the edges of the sight base in four places, it gave the sight a gripping surface for the recess it fit into. Easy little job.
Old March 28, 2017, 01:37 AM   #27
bamaranger

ammo

I'd shoot again, and I'd try other ammo.

I shot very poorly a week or so ago at a local match. Something had to be up, I suspected the sights had gotten out of wack. When I took the handgun to the range and shot it off bags at 15 yds, the next day, I could not hit a 9" pie plate. Looked like a load of buckshot! Turns out my plated bullets were the culprit.

True jacketed ammo shot just fine. Perhaps Fiocchi has loaded some ammo with undersized slugs or some other glitch.
Old March 28, 2017, 06:31 AM   #28
buck460XVR

From what I've read, the OP is an experienced SA revolver shooter, tried three different types of ammo, shot both freehand and off a rest and even at the short distance of 15 yards, could not hit the inside of a barn with the new Ruger, but shot well with another revolver. I'm gonna bet it's an issue with the gun and trying all the ammo in the world is not going to solve the problem. While revolvers can be finicky about ammo, FME, at 15 yards, the gun should at least pattern with one of the three the OP tried.
Old March 28, 2017, 09:44 PM   #29
hornetguy

The only other possibility that hasn't been explored (unless I missed it) is if you shot the 38sp lead loads first, and they were undersized, causing severe leading of the bore.

After that, not much of anything will shoot right.... (ask me how I know )

Although, that is really bad grouping for 15yds.... I'm not sure if severe leading can cause it to be THAT bad.

If the bore isn't heavily leaded, I would send it back to Ruger... something is definitely wrong.