The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 4, 2015, 03:45 PM   #1
RamItOne

Bicycle gun mount?

I recently purchased a rather expensive bicycle (wheels alone rival the average monthly mortgage). I haven't found a comfortable way to carry in my shorts. I've been considering a bag that mounts to the frame but they (specifically designed bike bags) all seem extremely shallow. I've also thought about an ankle holster but strapping it to my arm (like those iPod armbands). Looking for some suggestions from other cyclists.

Some of the areas I go through wouldn't be considered "prime real estate"

My typical EDC is a S&W BG .380, considering getting a P290RS

Thanks for any tips.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old February 4, 2015, 04:52 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Would a bellyband under your bike shirt work. Be prepared to clean the sweat soaked pistol after every ride

I Would not mount the pistol to the bike. Too easy to get seperated in an altercation cor my tastes
Old February 4, 2015, 04:59 PM   #3
southjk

Mounting to the bike will be problematic when you go into the store to get food/drink or for bathroom break. I use a bellyband and it's not the most comfortable thing but it works great for my LCP. It even keeps the gun from getting sweaty. I'll see if I can find the one I use online and post a link here.
Old February 4, 2015, 05:31 PM   #4
jmhyer

Fannypack.

I agree that the gun needs to be on your person. In a confrontation, you may have to quickly ditch the bike to flee or take cover.
Old February 5, 2015, 07:10 PM   #5
Rembrandt

How a couple of Brit's thought it should be done.....

Old February 5, 2015, 07:50 PM   #6
Banger357

Is open carry a possibility, or are you only interested in cc options? I use a thigh holster when I'm out on my quad, it's always within reach. Not exactly discreet though. I don't think that ankle holster on arm sounds like a terrible idea either though...
Old February 5, 2015, 08:44 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Hate to say it, but fanny pack is really your only choice.
Old February 5, 2015, 09:05 PM   #8
Snyper

Quote:
Hate to say it, but fanny pack is really your only choice.
I agree
It could be hung on the bike while riding, and worn if you leave the bike

Get one made for guns and it will have a seperate compartment with quick access
Old February 5, 2015, 10:06 PM   #9
Surculus

Location: Lo-Cal So.Cal. where the money is plastic & the people are too
1st line of defense: pepper spray & run [cycle] away; you're just transiting anyway.

Best of luck to you. Sometimes nice things are just too much trouble.
Old February 6, 2015, 08:59 AM   #10
southjk

No serious cyclist, of which I think the OP is since he spent that much on wheels, would be caught wearing a fanny pack while riding. Your choices are a small 380 or similar in the back shirt pocket or this is the belly band I use occasionally when it's not too hot.
Old February 6, 2015, 10:09 PM   #11
Snyper

Quote:
No serious cyclist, of which I think the OP is since he spent that much on wheels, would be caught wearing a fanny pack while riding.
He wouldn't need to wear it while riding
It could be attached to the bike
Old February 6, 2015, 10:16 PM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

Anyone in Indianapolis? There's a Villar Perosa twin 9mm smgs mounted on the handlebar of a bicycle in their War Memorial bldg.
Old February 6, 2015, 11:42 PM   #13
skizzums

is it not comfortable to wear an undershirt? if it's not a big deal, I would think something like this would work.

although that would solve the carry part, you would still have to figure out how to get to it

I think the ankle on the arm is a good idea, have to be a good tight fit though
Old February 7, 2015, 04:50 AM   #14
P-990

Quote:
Originally Posted by southjk View Post
No serious cyclist, of which I think the OP is since he spent that much on wheels, would be caught wearing a fanny pack while riding. Your choices are a small 380 or similar in the back shirt pocket or this is the belly band I use occasionally when it's not too hot.
I agree with southjk here. The only way I'll ever be found wearing a pack dressed in bike kit is a CamelBak on a mountain bike. Dressed in road kit? No way. I also always figure I'm riding on the road with distracted, oblivious people driving multi thousand pound battering rams, making me worry less about needing a CCW and more about getting clipped and left in a ditch...

An ankle holster isn't going to work for a serious rider either. He'll be wearing Lycra shorts or tights riding that bike. Not sure the under shirt is going to work either, anything on the sides of your chest is going to be pretty exposed when you assume the position on a proper road bike.

As for the OP, the only thing I can think of is a P32 in a wallet holster in your jersey. It weighs less than a spare water bottle and costs about as much as 2 sets of decent bike tires. The Bodyguard might be small and light enough to fit there, I've never taken a close look at one. Much more weight than that gets kind of distracting.

P-990 - who's current road bike cost as much as his first car...
Old February 7, 2015, 06:12 AM   #15
hartcreek

Instead of pepper spray go witha peppper grenade. You pull the pin and toss and it fogs the whole area where it lands.
Old February 7, 2015, 01:59 PM   #16
jmhyer

I mean no offense, but why give a rat's arse about what a fanny pack looks like? IMO, while cycling, nothing else is as comfortable and convenient. You're putting in the workout and protecting yourself at the same time. Win, win.
Old February 8, 2015, 11:32 PM   #17
johnwilliamson062

Once upon a time I thought a fanny pak looked ridiculous and I would never be seen wearing one.
Once upon a time I thought a headlamp looked ridiculous and thought I would never be caught wearing one.

Then I got over it, and today I don't know how I would get by without occasionally relying on either of those two things. It would certainly not be as much fun.
Old February 10, 2015, 01:09 PM   #18
P-990

Hmmm... I appear to have needed to clarify my comments about packs and road kit. It's not a matter of appearance so much as comfort. On a road bike fitted for the conventional leaned forward aero position, any weight on your back is not going to be directed down through your seat. It bears the small of your back and down through your arms. Not very comfortable. The furthest I've ever ridden my road bike with a pack on is about 5 miles and I couldn't wait to ditch it when I finished.

On a mountain bike or cruiser it's a completely different animal. You sit up, weight goes down through you and onto the saddle. Putting something heavier than an energy bar in there becomes an option.

I am of course assuming the OP is fitted to his road bike in a fairly conventional manner. Believe me, I'm the last one to suggest doing something just based on style, I'm trying to make suggestions based on comfort and function. My non-shooting hobby is cycling.
Old February 10, 2015, 01:16 PM   #19
FITASC

Maybe just avoid those certain areas while riding?
Old February 10, 2015, 03:50 PM   #20
JimDandy

That misses the point to carrying. You're not carrying so you can go to danger, you're carrying in case danger comes to you.

The shirt holster might work, then just cover it with a day glo orange vest or the proper cycling similar.
Old February 11, 2015, 02:33 AM   #21
leadcounsel

Avoid the bike/gun holster idea. Too easy to get separated from it in a time you most need it - like say you're tackled or pushed off your bike (which would be easy to do on a trail).

Skip ankle holsters which shin in sedentary or walking situations but are terrible if you have to run, and presumably equally bad during biking with the constant motion, banging against bike etc.

Skip lower back carry as a fall could be crippling on your spine.

You're left with waistband or chest or shoulder holster carry, IWB or OWB. Take your pick.

When I run, I wear a thin waist pack that is made for a small handgun and magazine. It fits tightly and is discrete. Lots of various designers.
Old February 11, 2015, 09:03 AM   #22
zach_

I can see why bicyclists need to carry. When a cyclist squeezes between cars and the curb while the cars are stopped at a traffic light, causing traffic to remain backed up behind them block by block when the lights turn green, some car drivers look like they are about to explode. I can't imagine why.
Old February 12, 2015, 05:24 PM   #23
Clark

I can carry an extra large cell phone Galaxy S4, a Garmin 60 GPS, and a Kel-Tec P3AT 380 with pocket clip and laser..... all in a biking shirt.
All in pouches in the small of the back
http://www.amazon.com/Sublimated-Sho.../dp/B00430IQQI

I am still sweating from doing that.

The gun fires 7 shots of 90 gr Gold Dot at 1100 fps [same as Buffalo Bore +P claims]
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 3, 2015, 10:17 PM   #24
double bogey

I don't own a road bike, and don't carry when mountain biking. When I ride my mountain bike at night on the streets (summer), I wear cargo shorts (padded bike shorts underneath) with a king tuk iwb hoster with a glock 23. I don't ride major streets, mostly residential, and can easily go 20 miles on my 30 lb full suspension hog, getting a pretty good workout. There aint nowhere to put much of a gun kitted out with road gear.
Old March 3, 2015, 11:18 PM   #25
vandyatc

I carry a ruger LCP in a pocket holster in my right rear shirt pocket. I also have a spare mag, but I'm not religious about bringing it. The LCP doesn't print, and I wouldn't care if it did (I'm in KY, and I suspect many cyclists are carrying). I have my phone, ID, and a little cash in a waterproof cell case in another pocket. Gels and stuff in the left. Tools, tubes, etc in a seat pack.

My firearm NEVER leaves my person. Unfortunately, I've been around too many times where my person left my bike...

When mountain biking I pocket carry or pocket carry in my appendix area in my camelbak backpack.

Get a good pocket holster. It makes a heck of a difference. Also, lube the crap out of your firearm. Sweat doesn't do it any favors.

Tags
bicycle , bike , carry