The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 30, 2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Stressfire

Pins walking out on 92FS?

I noticed this the other day after a range session while cleaning. It looks as if the pins holding the safety/decocker on the right side (there are 2) were walking out a bit. I was able to push them back in with the tip of my cleaning rod, but what gives?
Old August 30, 2012, 11:41 AM   #2
pete2

I've been shooting one for 10 years, haven't had this or any other problem. Someone can probably comment on it.
Old August 30, 2012, 12:58 PM   #3
TunnelRat

I've seen this before on SIGs and HKs too.

Sometimes it's a matter of the spring that the pin goes through not providing enough tension on the pin to keep it from moving. Sometimes adjusting the spring can fix this.
Maintain situational awareness
Old August 30, 2012, 01:01 PM   #4
BarryLee

Are they roll pins? Have the pins ever been removed by anyone? The reason I ask is that roll pins sometimes cannot be reused and need to be replaced.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 30, 2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Stressfire

Quote:
Are they roll pins?
What's a roll pin? Dammit Jim, I'm a librarian not a machinist! They look like tiny tubes if that helps.

They've never been removed by me or anyone else while I have owned it and I purchased it new in 2010. Round count is 500-600 maybe. I do not load hot and rarely shoot a lot of factory +p.

Last edited by Stressfire; August 30, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old August 30, 2012, 01:41 PM   #6
BarryLee

Sorry, I think the technical name may be Spring Pins, but I always call them roll pins. The attached link does a better job of describing it than I can.

Sometimes when they are removed they lose their “spring” and won’t hold a properly when reinstalled. Again, I have no way of knowing if this is your problem, but just throwing out possible solutions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_pin
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 30, 2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Stressfire

Yup, I guess they would be the slotted spring pins. But they've never been removed.

Anything I can do?
Old August 30, 2012, 01:45 PM   #8
Noreaster

Those pins cannot be re used. Don't know if you had any work done on it. They are dirt cheap and relatively easy to replace.
Old August 30, 2012, 01:54 PM   #9
BarryLee

Well, you could see if you can find the pins on the attached link from Brownells and order replacements. Also, look at the diagram and see if you can identify anything else that might be contributing to your problem.

If it were me I would let this thread run on for little while before I made a finally decision. Chances are someone much more knowledgeable than me will chime in with a suggestion.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0...2-Practice-Kit
- Milton Friedman
Old August 30, 2012, 02:31 PM   #10
Stressfire

Quote:
Don't know if you had any work done on it.
Have had nothing done. I likely would not have noticed had one not snagged on my sleeve. They did not come all the way out, maybe a millimeter or 2?

But according to the schematic BarryLee linked, they would be the ones holding the 2 halves of part 14 together (63).
Old August 30, 2012, 02:56 PM   #11
Dragline45

Not sure if this helps but a couple years ago I detail stripped my Ruger 22/45 and when I put one of the pins back in I was supposed to lift up a little tension spring and rest it on top of it, I never did and when I went to the range the next day the pin backed out and locked up the gun. Took me FOREVER to figure out what the problem was but sure enough that was it.
Old August 30, 2012, 04:09 PM   #12
ShipWreck

Only seen the trigger pin walk out of the spring holding it in is not in place right (its the spring that goes under the slide release). Never seen that before.
Old August 31, 2012, 12:09 AM   #13
10-96

Sometimes a manufacturer will pull a goober from time to time- even an outfit like Beretta. I've been a factory cert armorer for them for about 10yrs now. Not tooting my horn, just saying I've had the oportunity to see an oddity or two.

Go ahead and order your new pins from Brownells. It could have been something as simple as Beretta's suppliers of pins shipped the wrong size, or the holes were drilled wrong. Not much of a way for a guy in your shoes to find out until you go to poke a new pin in there.

Those aren't high stress pins that carry much load or receive much impact. Ask around and try to borrow or buy the correct tool anyway (roll pin punch of correct size). Now, if you go to install the new pins and they are also loose- you might look at taking it to a gunsmith or armorer. What he/she will likely do is something you can do yourself (but I don't think I'm supposed to say so). He'll lightly tap/hammer the pins till "slightly" out of round and thus snuggly fit.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 31, 2012, 08:51 AM   #14
Stressfire

I don't suppose I could just tap the current ones back into place at all or use a punch of some sort to expand them back to size? Yes, I'm cheap
Old September 1, 2012, 12:06 AM   #15
JohnKSa
Staff

You can tap them back in, but they'll probably just walk out again.

Trying to purchase metric roll pins in small quantities is a pain. I'd start by calling Beretta to see if they have any.

If they're a standard size (diameter & length) you may be able to find them from a company like Maryland Metrics but they'll probably want to sell you no less than 100 of them, and/or will have a minimum dollar amount for your order.

Trying to expand them is not likely to yield good results, I wouldn't try it unless I had spares on hand. Of course, if you have spares, there's no need to fiddle with trying to make the old ones work.
Old September 1, 2012, 10:04 PM   #16
farmerboy

If the gun was mine I'd call beretta and get them to send you new ones. I'm sure they won't charge you. Tell them you want the gun to be safe. And if you want to I'd take pins barely out and put just a drop of blue lock tight (medium strength) on them and push them back in. You shouldn't have to worry about them again.
Old September 2, 2012, 02:22 PM   #17
Seven High

I would put a small drop of Loctite on the end of the roll pin, then push it back into place. The end of the roll pin needs to be cleaned before application of the Loctite. Use the Loctite that can be removed.
Old September 2, 2012, 02:28 PM   #18
farmerboy

Blue. Medium strength.
Old September 2, 2012, 05:40 PM   #19
10-96

Quote:
don't suppose I could just tap the current ones back into place at all or use a punch of some sort to expand them back to size?
Well... what I would personally try is to remove the pins (one at a time), hold one end with pliars and gently tap no more than 1/2 of the pin slightly out of round. It won't work to try to expand them while they are in place. Those things do have some spring to them.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.