The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Death from Afar

MEC vernier adjustable load bar

How do these dohickeys work? Any good? Worth the extra cash? Thanks lads.
Old June 30, 2007, 04:19 PM   #2
WIL TERRY

It Is V-e-r-n-i-e-r.

Yes.
Probably.
Old June 30, 2007, 04:21 PM   #3
mc223

They take a bit longer to adjust as opposed to just tossing in a bushing, but do work well. I suppose over time you would recoup the cost in savings over buying a bunch of bushings and charge bars for different loads.
I use 1 on each of my mec loaders and have been satisfied with thier performance.
Old July 1, 2007, 06:05 PM   #4
Waldog

I have two MEC 9000's (12 & 20) and each has the adjustable charge bar. I love em. I think you will find with bushings that they drop VERY conservative powder charges. In other words, if the bushing is supposed to drop 17 grs. of Clays , when you weigh the charge is will drop something like 16.4 or 16.6grs. That's OK and is certainly safe. But it won't drop what you are expecting.

Same for the shot bar. It is imposible to buy a 1 oz. shot bushing and expect it to drop exactly 1 oz. of number 7 1/2, AND 1 oz. of number 9. It just doesn't work that way. For a given shot charge, the VOLUME of the charge is going to be different for each different shot size. The adjustable bar allows you to throw EXACTLY (within reason!!) the shot charge you want.

If you are going to load only ONE load, like a 1 1/8oz, number 7 1/2 shot for 12 ga. trap loads, and thats all you are ever going to load. A cheaper alternative is to modify your bushings to give what you want. As an example, to make you powder drop slightly smaller charges, some people will put a layer of tape (Scotch) inside the bushing, or paint the inside with a couple of layers of nail polish. You have to experiment. With the powder bushing you can file a SMALL notch or bevel in the bushing to make it drop slightly heavier shot charge. It' tedious, time comsuming and NOT RECOMMENDED BY ANY MANUFACTURER, but I know long time shotgunners that do it that way.

I don't endorse that method. I would buy the adjustable bars instead. There is a learning curve with the bars. People have had trouble with them because their shot shell loaders, particularaly the full progressive presses, were not adjusted properly for the new adjustable bars. But, when you figure them out and get your machine adjusted to give a FULL charge bar side-to-side throw, they will work flawlessly.

Check out some shotgun specific websites. They usually have discussions on this exact subject.
Old July 2, 2007, 12:17 PM   #5
BigJimP

They're ok, but I'm not a big fan. I use the bushings in all of my 9000HN Mec's. It's easy to adjust a bushing by putting it in a lathe ( or a drill press) and using a little bit of emery cloth to open it up a hair.

In 12ga, as an example, I have a preferred load with 1 1/8 oz ( and I keep the bushing in the bar ) - then if I want to load some 1 oz I switch the bar (and the bushing is in that bar as well ) - same if I want to go to a 7/8 oz load. It's easy to switch them out.
Old July 4, 2007, 04:33 AM   #6
Death from Afar

Hmm, interesting. Thanks lads.
Old July 4, 2007, 06:17 AM   #7
auto45

I use the adjustable bar to be able to "adjust" for a precise measurement and then...I don't touch it.

Once you get the bushings close to what you want, it's much easier to change bushings than alter the adjustable bar IMO, if you change loads often.

Although, over the years, I've acquired several "adjustable" bars if needed.
Old July 4, 2007, 07:58 AM   #8
Martyn4802

I bought one of the adjustable bars, and used it for a while, then went back to bushings. Bushings are user friendly, and can be modified to throw the exact charge you want; either by shimming the inside with masking tape, or reaming one that is too small. Once you get a bushing "fixed" for the powder, and charge you want, mark it and you are set to go.
The adjustable bar is fine in theory, but a PITA to use for different powders, and different charges. If you buy an adjustable bar and set it for one load, and leave it there forever, why buy the adjustable bar? It's far easier, and cheaper, to modify a bushing. I have a number of modified bushings for specific loads. Changing bushings is a breeze.

Martyn
Old July 4, 2007, 03:22 PM   #9
auto45

Quote:
It's far easier, and cheaper, to modify a bushing.
It's certainly cheaper to modify the bushing, but it's not easier filing, using tape to change your powder bushings compared to moving a dial on the adjustable...and keeping that setting. If you change them often, I agree the bushing system is best.

Most of my 'changes' were caused by changing the shot weight, so I'd have to buy different bars also. Still, it's cheaper to use MEC bars and bushings...but I like easy too!
Old July 4, 2007, 03:53 PM   #10
Martyn4802

Auto45,

Whatever works for you, and what you like is right for you. I wasn't implying that my way is the only way. Not at all.
It's not something to go to the mat over..

Martyn
Old July 4, 2007, 06:51 PM   #11
crowbeaner

I've had to modify more than one bushing to drop the powder charge I want. I usually chuck a shotgun loop into the cordless drill and SLOWLY polish the bushing until I get the charge I want. New bushings are only $1.99 and I mark ALL of them with the powder and charge they drop. This means one has to recheck the bushing capacity when new lots of powder are purchased. If I'm loading heavy field loads I use my RCBS powder measure to measure the charge even though it slows me down. Better safe than sorry.
Old July 5, 2007, 06:33 AM   #12
auto45

Quote:
It's not something to go to the mat over
No, I agree and didn't mean it that way.

What happens over time, since I was loading large volumes, is I try one and like it. At the time, they were $20 and when you buy large amounts of reloading components, it doesn't seem like much. That $20 gets "hidden" in several hunderds dollars worth of stuff!! So, "down the road", you buy another one, etc.

Now, I guess they are $30-$35 each. If you were buying a reloading machine at $300-$400 and wanted to add multiple adjustable bars, that's another $100...so that may be "nuts".

Edit: I remember now too why I bought multiple adjustables. The lever that pushes the charge bar on a MEC is different for the adjustable, and it comes with it. So, I didn't want to change the lever each time either.

The MEC bushing system is a good one. Not sure why they don't have the bushing system for shot weights?
Old July 6, 2007, 10:26 PM   #13
Death from Afar

Hmm, interesting. YOu are right, I will probably only be using it for one load, and that is a field load as trap loads are still cheaper here down under than reloaded. Field loads make it worth while though. HOw does the US compare??
Old July 8, 2007, 09:19 PM   #14
rg1

The MEC charge bar has a rubber insert in the shot cavity which helps the bar from not hanging or cutting into the shot. The adjustable charge bar doesn't have the rubber insert thus its sharp edge hangs on the lead shot somewhat. That is the only negative complaint that I have. After using the MEC bar the adjustable bar is aggravating when it sticks when dumping shot. It does work though but it takes a little time to adjust for shot and powder charges.
Old July 9, 2007, 07:33 AM   #15
auto45

Quote:
trap loads are still cheaper here down under than reloaded. Field loads make it worth while though. HOw does the US compare??
Similiar I'd say. If you shoot 1 oz or 1 1/8, then there is little difference in reloading costs and new shells, for "promo" loads anyway. If you compare to the "premium" AA, STS shells...then you could probably save $2.00 a box.
Big savings for many, not all, of the field loads if you reload and smaller gauges...big time!!

Quote:
After using the MEC bar the adjustable bar is aggravating when it sticks when dumping shot.
I've had to file each bar because of sticking. Easy to see the "scrape" marks.