The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2007, 03:32 PM   #1
workinwifdakids

30.06 - Help a newbie?

Yesterday, I bought my first box of 30.06 ammunition. The box reads:

Remington Express Core-Lokt(R)
30-06 Springfield
180GR Core-Lokt PSP R30065

I looked up this round on Remington's ballistic tables, and on CheapterThanDirt, and I have some questions.

1) I had 3 choices: 150GR, 165GR, and 180GR. They all read as being for light or thin-skinned animals, and there's hardly any listed ballistics difference between them. So, are the differences? They're all the same price.

2) I bought these rounds for under $14/box, but I see boxes of 30.06 in general selling for between $14 and $45 per box. What are the factors that account for such a wide disparity, from 0.70/round to $1.25/round?

3) In general, what are the practical differences for me in shooting a budget round and one of these <ahem> NOT budget rounds? In other words, what can the expensive ones do that the cheap ones can't?

Armor-piercing and incendiary rounds are illegal in my state, and thus weren't part of my research. Thanks, guys!
Old June 28, 2007, 04:23 PM   #2
mrawesome22

What does this have to do with reloading?
Old June 29, 2007, 12:08 AM   #3
amamnn

Maybe he'll

save the brass for a friend.
Old June 29, 2007, 02:37 AM   #4
workinwifdakids

Reloading?

I looked at the available categories, and felt the experience of those in this one would yield the best answers. Furthermore, I didn't see a better place to ask this question. I guess I was wrong.

Remarks like yours sour people on shooting at a time when the sport can ill-afford to alienate anyone.

:barf:
Old June 29, 2007, 03:21 AM   #5
mrawesome22

I'm not trying to deter anyone from getting into shooting guns.

In this forum, if you have a question about reloading, you will get much help.

This just isn't a question about reloading. Sorry.

I don't want to hurt your feelings, but again I must ask, what does this have to do with reloading?
Old June 29, 2007, 01:22 PM   #6
workinwifdakids

Cranky

Perhaps I'm cranky.

"I looked at the available categories, and felt the experience of those in this one would yield the best answers. Furthermore, I didn't see a better place to ask this question. I guess I was wrong."

I should've struck the last sentence and asked, "Where would you recommend I post this question to yield the best results?"
Old June 29, 2007, 07:07 PM   #7
TEDDY

workin:what do you want to use it for.150 give flatter traj.180 heavyier bullet for bigger game.you plink use 150 for less recoil and flatter shooting.
I think what they were saying was this post would be best in general shooting or handloading posts.you will learn where as I did.dont take it to heart.
Old June 29, 2007, 08:29 PM   #8
crowbeaner

Stick with 150 grain ammo for now unless you are going to hunt game that scratches, bites and gores. Try different brands to see what your rifle prefers, and buy that brand. You will then have a supply of brass to duplicate the load your rifle likes. Save the 180 gr. ammo for large and/or dangerous game, and buy the good stuff only if that is the load you decide on. Get and read a reloading manual or three, and ask questions if there arises a bit of knowledge that you don't understand. Questions are easily answered, and knowledge will help avoid problems should you decide to begin reloading your own ammo. Practice regularly to become familiar with your rifle, how it handles, and proficient at hitting your target at various ranges.
Old June 30, 2007, 09:13 AM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I suggest that when a guy is trying to learn, and is "starting from scratch", folks oughta be for cuttin' slack, not gettin' all eat up with Old Timer's Ego disease.

For the record, threads like this oughta be in the Rifle forum.

1. Heavier bullets are more suited for larger animals where deeper penetration might be require. Sorta arbitrary, but 150s for deer; 180s for elk.

2. Cost variations depend on whether or not the bullets are standard (mass produced in bulk) or premium (more precise; smaller production quantities) and then factor in plain old marketing.

3. Short answer, no practical improvement from shooting higher-priced ammo. Well, at least not during the learning-curve period...

Art
Old June 30, 2007, 09:48 AM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

One lesson we all learn is that, until you reload, you are unlikely to get to the accuracy potential of your gun. That is because every gun is unique as to its microscopic dimensions, surface finish, and etcetera, and becomes a rule unto itself. That said, it will probably turn out to be true that your gun likes some commercial loads better than others. You're just going to have to try it. Shorter bullets stabilize more easily, so try the 150's first. Find one that groups best for you? Premium bullets are all well and good, but a cheap bullet correctly placed is worth more than a premium bullet through a less vulnerable region. Shot placement comes first. Despite short bullets being easier to stabilize, they also tip in a bore more easily and, traveling faster they spin faster, so any imperfections have their influence exaggerated. So, depending on the twist rate of your barrel, you may find the 165's or 180's actually do better for you? Use what you can shoot most accurately.

You said the ammunition ballistics all looked similar. Multiply muzzle velocity times weight. Regardless of the units, the result is proportional to momentum. All else being equal (expansion diameter, energy, etcetera), the greater the momentum, the greater the penetration. It usually isn't published, but you will find the heavier bullets generally rate higher in this figure.

Aside from greater momentum and penetration, the heavier bullets often have higher ballistic coefficients, meaning they will carry farther and will be less affected by wind. So, they may serve you better for long range shots, if you expect to take any, and not just for penetration on heavier game.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 1, 2007, 09:09 PM   #11
Linear Thinker

Workin - what is your goal? Saving money to maximize your shooting time, best accuracy, hunting effectiveness are some of possibilities.
180gr 30-06 are usually the bigger game rounds, Rem Core-Lokt is a hunting bullet designed to retain most of the weight as it traverses the animal. Minute-of-moose is expected accuracy.
Since you are in a reloading forum, I will use the opportunity to pitch the hobby to you - whatever your goal is - reloading is the way to get there.
LT
Old July 4, 2007, 12:35 AM   #12
Paul B.

Workin. It would probably be a good idea to know just what you plan on shooting with your rifle. For deer, any of the three bullet weights will work, depending on the conditions you will be hunting in and of course, which load your rifle likes.
The inexpensive loads will work just fine. Sometimes, I think a lot of thei premium bullet business is just a but of snobbery on the part of some shooters.
I also will second the motion to condier taking up handloading your personal ammo. With the rising cost of store bought ammo, it'll be soon that only Bill Gates will be able to afford to shoot. You really do not have to get expensive on the deal. At least for a while, you will save money by loading your own, but then usually that comes to an end as you will be shooting more, and that ain't so bad.
I shoot the 30-06 quite a bit and only have two loads for my rifle. The most used is a 180 gr. Sierra spitzer flat based bullet (Pro-Hunter). I can use that bullet for almost everything I hunt. The other load uses the same powder charge and the Nosler Partition bullet which I reserve for elk hunting. Both loads shoot to the same point of impact.
With rare exception, my handloads are more accurate than factory ammo.
Save your brass. It's the most expensive part of the cartridge. Every time you reload it, it's cost (the brass only) drops by 50 percent. Sure can't beat that with a stick.
Paul B.