The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 17, 2007, 11:43 AM   #51
Glenn E. Meyer

Ok - this is a zombie thread then?
Old January 17, 2007, 04:06 PM   #52
Delta Dave

Futzing...what's futzing

Okay, Glenn, I just gotta know. What's futzing? Is that some kind of yankee term? They may do that up north but I ain't never seen or heard of it down here.

Okay, I'm off that now. Are you as cold as I am? Still got ice on the cars on this side of town.

Dave
Old January 17, 2007, 04:48 PM   #53
Socrates

First off, if I had to shoot someone here, I'd loose the gun to an evidence locker, be worried about the gang punks 'homies'
coming after me, and, have the mental anguish about killing another human being, not to mention the legal process.
It's last on my list of things I'd like to do. Taking human life is not something I take lightly.

I would like to come up with another means of getting rid of the person, such as a fire extingusher in the face, bear spray, etc. in concert with a firearm for backup.

If the following is true with a .357, think about shotgun at point blank range:
Quote:
nyeti on 357 close range
Wanna know why 125 gr. JHP .357 mag works so well on people? Noise and Flash. Several years ago I was talking about this load with some of the foremost experts in ballistic testing (and they don't write articles in gun rags). These are folks who use real labs, and have excellent access to L/E shootings. Their initial findings were that 125 JHP .357 mag is an "above average" performing round in gelatim testing, but nothing like its reputation. They began looking at L/E street shootings with the round and found an interesting set of similar circumstances existed during shootings with dramatic success. The shootings took place at night, at less than 6 FEET, with barrels 4" or less...................anybody want to raise their hand who wants to be in front of that. 125 gr. .357 mag's will throw a 15 yard ball of flame down range. Can you imagine what its like at 6 feet or less. The conclusion was that the blast and noise was a significant factor in making this round very succesful in shooting people at very close range.
Keep in mind that often thieves are young kids, at least in our area, going in because someone leaves their door unlocked. The gang scenario is unlikely, but possible, since Concord does have extensive gangs, but, our area police do a very good job of keeping them out of the area.

I would NOT like to have to justify using deadly force on some punk kid just out of high school. We also have very smart kids that do really dumb things.

Also, three strikes DOES work. What it's done is make home robberies less frequent, since they are a strike, as is
burglary of a home. Therefore career criminals are less likely to do home robberies now, then prior, and, those that do, and are caught, end up with 25 to life.

I find the comments here divided into people that have dealings with the lower elements of our society, the hardened criminals that should be in jail, and, those that don't have to deal with those kind of folks.

Come to think of it, the most likely burglary I'd have is an illegal, with his free government pass to steal.
Anyone of our near majority illegal aliens can come into your house, steal whatever they like, and, if they get caught, the INS has about 3 days before they must be released. Since the INS is so under staffed, and, Federal judges don't have a lot of court room space, nor do they like hearing minor things like burglaries, the aliens have a free ticket to steal. Our local police have caught many such folks, and had to release them, when the INS failed to pick them up. Pretty much, the only thing that will get the INS/Federal prosecutors' attention is murder, large drug deals, etc. High profile crimes.

These folks are often poor, and, few are violent.

Also, for all those who think they can't sue, remember the guy in Arizona that lost his ranch for shooting illegals...

S
Old January 17, 2007, 05:56 PM   #54
AndrewD

cloudcroft, that is a childish way to deal with a reasonable question.
Old January 18, 2007, 10:49 AM   #55
Glenn E. Meyer

Dave - Futzing - not really Yankee but more specifically ethnic - Oy!

Means - wasting time in meaningless activity not really relevant but seemingly important to some - in this case, self-proclaimed tactical experts.
Old January 18, 2007, 11:32 AM   #56
Socrates

Glen:
Nice to see you have had a positive academic experience concerning firearms.

In public schools, in Kali, it's a topic that doesn't lend itself to a positive result, with most here being facist-liberals...

S