The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 3, 2017, 08:03 PM   #51
ShootistPRS

We are in agreement!
Old March 4, 2017, 09:40 AM   #52
tallball

Just to be contrary...

I shot 22's and shotguns with my dad and hunted a bunch when I was young. I had a Single Six as a teenager and shot many thousands of rounds through it. After college I bought a 4" 357 for HD.

At some point in my early 20's I decided that maybe I should learn about the whole semiautomatic pistol thing. In those ancient times information was often found in magazines such as "Guns and Ammo". I had read that the Hungarian FEG copies of the Browning High Power were pretty good pistols, and they were affordable for a young person such as myself.

I went to a gun show and paid $200 for one. I bought a couple of boxes of ammo and went out to the family farm. 100 rounds of ammo later I pretty much knew what I was doing. It wasn't exactly rocket science. Service pistols such as the BHP were designed so that even the most dimwitted recruit could easily be taught to use and maintain them.

I'm not saying that training is a bad idea at all. I'm just saying that if you can already operate shotguns, rifles, and revolvers properly, learning how to operate a semiautomatic pistol is not a big step at all. That doesn't mean you will be ready for drastic and dangerous situations, but if you are already familiar with The Four Rules, you should be able to read a manual or watch a YouTube video and then operate a semiautomatic pistol without causing harm to yourself or others.

Thus my comment about buying a simple, inexpensive, sturdy surplus pistol to learn with when you feel ready or feel the urge. It's been about 30 years, and I still have the High Power clone, and it still functions perfectly.

Last edited by tallball; March 4, 2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old March 4, 2017, 07:17 PM   #53
kyguy1

Well I decided to go with my preference and get me a CA classic bulldog in 3" 44spl. It's a revolver which I like, my favorite caliber to shoot, and one I've been very accurate and able to handle in the past. Plus, it's a cool historical gun too. I'll use it for my nightstand/home defense and plinking. No doubt about it though I am going to pick up a small pocket pistol for for pocket carry in the very near future.

I'm still very open to semi autos, though I'll need to familiarize more with them before I purchase one. I plan on getting one at some point just because they have more capacity. I've got my AK in case of major SHTF, and nobody will f**k with someone with an AK. That said I felt I really needed a pistol too and I'm very happy with the Bulldog. The 44 spl is a highly underrated round. Ballistically, similar to 45 acp.
Old March 4, 2017, 07:26 PM   #54
ThomasT

Quote:
and nobody will f**k with someone with an AK.
Don't count on it. A man who can use a lever action 30-30 is just as well armed. And one of the books I have from the British army states that a native in the jungle with a single shot shotgun loaded with buckshot is just as dangerous as a soldier with a subgun in those surroundings. Its the indian, not the arrow.
Old March 4, 2017, 07:34 PM   #55
kyguy1

^valid point. It's all about shot placement regardless what the weapon is. I've been practicing with my AK, and I keep it loaded in the corner. I sleep well at night.
Old March 6, 2017, 01:25 PM   #56
jackstrawIII

I will always recommend that new shooters learn on a 9mm. Or better yet, a 22. You'll develop better habits and can practice longer, for less dollars.

Then make the "upgrade" (insert arguments here) to 45 if you want, and at that point you'll have some actual trigger time under your belt and hopefully you'll have a better idea of what you like in a handgun. Every shooter starts out thinking they'll find the "perfect" gun in their first purchase, but it doesn't happen.
Old March 11, 2017, 10:37 PM   #57
jad0110

I enjoy both revolvers and semi autos, for fun and protection. They each have their merits and their drawbacks. Revolvers are down on round count. No doubt, that all things being equal, more ammo on board is better. But the reliability of semi autos can be sensitive to how they are held and what angle they are fired at (such as when injured in a fight). I know, I've tried intentionally "limp arming" various otherwise reliable semi autos and the results were eye opening.

I used to shoot revolvers significantly better (a higher level of accuracy for a given firing rate), but now I shoot both platforms about equally well. Well, I am still more consistent with revolvers, and at this point in time I can definitely do better with a revolver on that first quick shot after drawing from concealment. A S&W K or L frame just points so beautifully for me, and that ability to draw and put a round on target quickly and accurately can't be ignored.

So overall, I still prefer my revolvers like my 3" 686, 2.5" 66, 3" 13 and 642, but lately I have been carrying my S&W SD9VE in place of my classic iron due to lower back pain. And all in all I'm fine with it, I really can go either way these days. As I said, for me each has their merits.

Also, it used to be that a good quality revolver cost less than a good quality semi auto, new or used. Today, it's the opposite, at least where I live. That SD9VE cost $304 out the door and so far it has functioned perfectly. A S&W 386, a light weight gun in it's own right, would probably function just as reliably but it costs a wee bit more than $304 .

A S&W M&P9 Shield is about $75 less than a S&W 642. Used Glock 19s can be had for $325, you can't find a used S&W Model 19 for anything less than $500 these days.

The cost difference is hard to ignore, though granted, I put the semi autos that will be used for protection through more extensive ammo testing than I would a revolver, so that may cancel out the up front savings.
Old March 17, 2017, 02:12 PM   #58
SIGSHR

Yes, proper training and "try before you buy". Only the hits count, and the real question is, are you ready to pull the trigger when the time comes. In semiautomatics I recommend using a 22 conversion unit to learn to shoot and get familiar with the feel of the pistol, in revolvers I am Old School, a .357, learn to shoot with 38 WCs, then when you have developed skill, practice with 357s. Revolvers, especially the Dan Wesson allow greater scope to tailor the grips.
Old March 17, 2017, 06:31 PM   #59
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

What about this gun. In the US this gun is relatively inexpensive.

Taurus PT 92 stainless in 9mm Para.
Old March 17, 2017, 07:17 PM   #60
RoughDivider

Seems a little big and heavy for carry IMO, I'd prefer something compact and polymer for myself but if OP doesn't mind I don't see any reason why a metal framed full size gun can't work. Be better for HD anyways, that being said, don't care how well the PT92 does wouldn't carry a Taurus personally.
Old March 18, 2017, 03:55 PM   #61
kyguy1

I've got a Bulldog in 44 for the nightstand and shooting for fun and as a good big bore backup just something about revolvers that I love. I have an WASR AK that's in my closet that is not doing me any good because I never shoot it, and probably never will. And I definitely do need another handgun, because those I actually do shoot and use. So I am planning on trading in my ak towards a nice handgun that can do me some good. Thinking of a Glock or possibly a Sig. Granted, I'd like the AK in case of SHTF, but it's not doing me any good now, and if I trade it in I could get a nice handgun that I can take to the range and get ammo for and shoot and get hopefully proficient with. I have rented a couple of Glocks, I really liked the .40 s&w and the .45, the .45 was better for me. Not sure which pistol I'll get yet. I like revolvers better than autos, I'm new to autos, and I just feel more comfortable with revolvers. I love the pre-lock Smiths and even some of the modern ones, and the Ruger SA's, but I don't like the transfer bar at all on modern revolvers. I had a friend who had a brand new Ruger with the transfer bar and it broke on him and he had to send the gun off. They fixedit for him, but still. Firing pins should be on the hammer IMO. I'm partial to the pinned barreled Smith revolvers too. Just can't beat them. Can't pass much judgment against autos yet because I'm just new to them so my opinions are limited on that platform. But I really like how Glocks seem so simple and they say they are the ak's of handguns.

But better a pistol that I will shoot than a rifle which is just leaning against the wall right.

Last edited by kyguy1; March 18, 2017 at 04:00 PM.