The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 7, 2008, 04:03 AM   #1
panino

Advice on aiming with Glock and TruGlo TFO fixed sights

I'm having a little trouble understanding how to aim correctly with these sights. My question is: to hit the center of the target, how am i supposed to aim? Without making to many trigger handling mistakes, i can stay in 3 inches groups (at 15 yards), but around the center of the target (the 10), so probably i'm not aiming correctly too, as usually 1 on a 100 rounds hits there.

So, by your experience, where should the aligned sights point? Center of the target? Or should the glowing dots point at the center?

I know i can't pretend to make perfects one hole shots as a newbie, but to understand what i did wrong i got to be sure of where the bullet was supposed to hit, right?
Old March 18, 2008, 05:02 AM   #2
evan1293

Dont pay attention to the dots (this is why I don't like those sights). Go by the tops of the sights. Alighn the front sight post in the notch of the rear sight (you should see even light bars between the FSP). Then level the top of the FSP with the top of the RS. Then take this sight alighnment and place the very center of the FSP (the top edge of the sight, right in the center) and place it right on the bullseye. You may even want to hold just a tad high. Your focus should be on the FS specifically on the center point of the FS as I mentioned. If you just use the whole front sight, its not as precise. Kind goes along with aim small, miss small.
Old March 18, 2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Anchorage

I think it is best to try it out yourself with your ammo. fire a few hundred shots and remember which aim worked out best for you. every gun is different, ammo is different too. also your trigger pull and grip makes a difference.
Old March 18, 2008, 06:38 PM   #4
bcrash15

Agreed on the "dot" sights. I actually have started putting electrical tape over the dots on mine to prevent me from trying to use them during target practice. In my opinion, the dots are supposed to be a quicker method of aiming in rapid situations or lower light and tend to be "combat accurate" at best.
Old March 24, 2008, 05:42 PM   #5
panino

Thank you for the clarification, now i will understand better my trigger control.