The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 25, 2007, 02:15 AM   #26
gvf

My area:

I do not want to unduly alarm you in an already alarming situation, but cops in my area (Buffalo, NY) just caught "The Bike-Path Killer". He began with rapes, centered around, as it turned out, his home, also work area, and gym 20 years ago.
They were episodic. Several years later, he killed a student from an area university on a nearby bike-path. I teach there, it was horrible, especially for years of female students. They have a yearly memorial run for her. He ran in it one year!
He killed several more women (not students) after raping them, in other areas - went into hiberantion for quite a few years, and recently - at another bike-path a few miles away from the first murder, raped and killed another, a woman in her 30s. A clue from many years ago broke it. A girl who was an early rape victim had spotted him in a mall and got the license #. At the time, cops traced it to what would turn out to be the killers brother. He had used his car to go to the mall. The brother lied to police and said his car had been in repair for a long time. He assumed his brother had nothing to do with the rape and was trying to save him trouble. The cops accepted this and assumed, I guess, the license info was incorrect. Recently, 20 years later, they found the brother, called him and questioned him again, and he told him the truth. DNA did the rest. The guy is behind bars. Like the BTK Killer, he was a respected and well-liked husband and father. "A really nice guy".
I have no advice - how the hell do you protect against something like that - EXCEPT tell your girlfriend and all the girls you help to NEVER leave themselves alone in any type of environment near - or similar to - the ones where the rapes occurred. Almost all of Bike-Path's rapes and murders happened during the day. Many in isloated areas close to poplulated areas.
Many rapists are not killers, so you need not assume "your" rapist is. But these are diseased people to begin with, and all bets are off.
Old January 25, 2007, 02:35 AM   #27
garryc

Some years ago I had a freind that was dating a woman who had a morbid fear of being raped. We tried to talk her into getting a gun and learning to shoot. She always responded," I don't want a gun!! I couldn't shoot someone!!" Well, he worked out of town and she would call me all hours of the night because she was afraid. I would go over and calm her down. I got sick of that!! One day when she was on her paranoid rant I told her she had two choices. Get a gun and defend herself or lay quietly and hope he didn't kill her. If she was so holophobic and refused to take responcibility for her own saftey, well, to hell with her. I told her that superman was not going to fly in the window and save her. I told her that no man could or would stand by her 24 hours a day and be her personal body guard. You makes your choices and takes your chances baby. My buddy broke it off with her shortly after that.
Old January 25, 2007, 07:20 PM   #28
Rocked

Im just up the road in Jacksonville. My girlfriend and I were planning on taking a trip down there, but looks like we might be waiting a while for that. I dont watch much tv but I havent heard of this yet.
Old January 26, 2007, 11:03 AM   #29
Beckerich

u cant live ur life according to hear say and the media, the media are there only to terrify you.
Old January 27, 2007, 08:40 PM   #30
Hotdog1911

I wasn't anywhere near Florida.
Old January 28, 2007, 01:00 AM   #31
bennnn

Quote:
cops in my area (Buffalo, NY) just caught "The Bike-Path Killer".
gvf, here's my $.02

Good...

I was born in Buffalo General in 1975.. I grew up reading and hearing about the "suspect" from time to time... My mother was a SUNY student in that area around those years... I remember my father going out of his way to drop her off and pick her up whenever he could...

Hope he gets all that's coming to him...

And then some...........