The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 15, 2017, 11:26 PM   #1
bricz75

Thompson Center Compass compared to other budget rifles?

I noticed there is a $75 rebate for the Thompson Center Compass rifle. A few 'net retailers have them hovering around $325 before rebate, and one or two of them for $300.

I've read next to nothing about this model compared to other budget rifles. Any opinions on these? How do they compare to winchester xpr, ruger american, savage axis, howa 1500 and mossberg patriot?
Old July 16, 2017, 12:07 AM   #2
Scorch

They appear to be the Remington 710 in drag.
Old July 16, 2017, 05:14 PM   #3
jmr40

The TC Venture is well thought of. But like you I have no 1st or 2nd hand experience with the Compass. Never read a comment good or bad about them. Not much info out there on the Winchester XPR either, but the little I've read is positive.

The Howa 1500 however doesn't really belong in the budget class of rifles. I'd rate it right with the Savage 10/110 series or Remington 700 rifles. They are good rifles built without a lot of the money savings measures used on most of the "budget" rifles. If that is important to you. While they may not be as aesthetically pleasing most of the budget rifles shoot surprisingly well.

I do have enough experience with the Ruger American that regardless of price or perceived quality I'd choose one over most rifles considered top end costing 3X as much.

Winston Churchill
Old July 16, 2017, 07:49 PM   #4
Old Stony

I have to agree with jmr40.....The Ruger American tops them all and will outshine a lot of high dollar rifles. I have one in 6.5 Creedmore and have yet to find any ammo that won't shoot a 1/2 inch group.
Old July 16, 2017, 08:52 PM   #5
bricz75

Quote:
The Howa 1500 however doesn't really belong in the budget class of rifles. I'd rate it right with the Savage 10/110 series or Remington 700 rifles. They are good rifles built without a lot of the money savings measures used on most of the "budget" rifles. If that is important to you. While they may not be as aesthetically pleasing most of the budget rifles shoot surprisingly well.

I do have enough experience with the Ruger American that regardless of price or perceived quality I'd choose one over most rifles considered top end costing 3X as much.
Good point about the Howa. I wonder if their less than good looks prevents them from selling better than they do. Maybe they are left homely looking to avoid taking business away from Weatherby, who slaps their label on a number of Howa rifles, IIRC.

Quote:
I have to agree with jmr40.....The Ruger American tops them all and will outshine a lot of high dollar rifles. I have one in 6.5 Creedmore and have yet to find any ammo that won't shoot a 1/2 inch group.
I like the Ruger American as well. I noticed they are light, which isn't the best for recoil. I guess they are reliable, judging from the quoted comments. Is there enough room in the ejection port to yank out a stuck shell? I read reviews by Gun Tests of their .243 and .308 models. The .243 was accurate but the .308 was nothing special.

I haven't noticed any rebates in the past for the Ruger American. A rebate can make a rifle a sweet deal.
Old July 17, 2017, 10:29 AM   #6
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricz75
I like the Ruger American as well. I noticed they are light, which isn't the best for recoil. I guess they are reliable, judging from the quoted comments. Is there enough room in the ejection port to yank out a stuck shell? I read reviews by Gun Tests of their .243 and .308 models. The .243 was accurate but the .308 was nothing special.

I haven't noticed any rebates in the past for the Ruger American. A rebate can make a rifle a sweet deal.
I have a Ruger American Ranch in .300 BLK and can fit my thumb inside to single load, so I imagine most average sized adults can get a finger in there. Are you talking about the .308 rifle review the Used Weatherby Vanguard vs. New Ruger American? I can't read the full review because I'm not paying for it, however I can tell you the Ruger is almost always going to be a full pound lighter than the Vanguard. This will make a huge difference in how it handles from the bench for accuracy testing especially when your talking about a 7 lbs rifle vs. an 8 lbs rifle.

I have a .30-06 that weighs 7 lbs 2 oz with five rounds in the mag and a sling on it and I have another .30-06 that weighs 8.5 lbs with the same ammo and sling. These rifles are both M70 Winchesters one is a stainless FWT and the other a blued Sporter, both have McMillan stocks, one has a Leupold 2.5-8X36 the other a Burris FFII 3-9X40. I can tell you the my light .30-06 is a beast to shoot off the bench, and never performs as well as my heavier .30-06. However, my light .30-06 is accurate enough for me to be confident to take a deer or elk at any range I'll try and it's a lot more pleasurable to carry.

Street price on the Ruger American often runs less than $400 so I wouldn't expect any rebates any time soon. A rebate can't make a crap rifle a sweet deal, there are rifles that I wouldn't buy in the past even if they offered a rebate on them. I think $75 off the TC Venture is a great deal, had one and it was a decent rifle but I had a buddy that needed a budget rifle to start elk hunting so I sold it to him. I'm still on the fence about the Compass as I've never seen one in person and I usually like to hold a rifle before I buy.

Rifles I'll never own are the Rem 710/770 (Junk) and Mossberg ATR (major bolt defect) even if someone gave me one. Rifles I'll probably never own Winchester XPR, T/C Venture/Compass, Savage Axis/Edge, or Marlin XS/XL7 rifles. Mostly because they don't offer me anything I don't already have covered. I probably won't own another Ruger American unless I pick up a 6.5 or 6mm Creedmoor, as I only bought it for the .300 BLK option.
Old July 17, 2017, 10:33 AM   #7
MarkCO

Ruger American is the winner in the budget bolt gun arena.
Old July 17, 2017, 02:22 PM   #8
reynolds357

I will take Axis over American in the budget class.
Old July 17, 2017, 03:03 PM   #9
MarkCO

What did you not like about your American reynolds357?
Old July 17, 2017, 04:14 PM   #10
Hilltop Shooter

I have no experience with the T/C but with all the entry level price point rifles that i do have some time on, the Ruger American is tops IMHO. Hard to get that much rifle for under $400.

The Howa is awesome for just a step up in price as well. I look at it as kind of a tweener(between entry level and mid level price points) but it shoots right with the better mid tier priced guns.

The mid tier is a free for all with a bunch of great quality guns like the Rem 700/7, CZ 527/550/557, Weatherby Van series 2, Tikka T3, Savage 10/110, Win 70, etc.

The Howa and even the Ruger American can do the job just as good as these rifles. They wont look as good or feel as good doing it, but theyll do it and do it at much less cost nonetheless. The T/C might can too but its got a tough row to how to be close to these two rifles i think.
Old July 18, 2017, 06:12 PM   #11
bricz75

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
I will take Axis over American in the budget class.
Why is the Axis better than the American?
Old July 18, 2017, 06:14 PM   #12
bricz75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltop Shooter View Post
The mid tier is a free for all with a bunch of great quality guns like the Rem 700/7, CZ 527/550/557, Weatherby Van series 2, Tikka T3, Savage 10/110, Win 70, etc.

The Howa and even the Ruger American can do the job just as good as these rifles. They wont look as good or feel as good doing it, but theyll do it and do it at much less cost nonetheless. The T/C might can too but its got a tough row to how to be close to these two rifles i think.

Can the American and T/C put as many rounds through the barrel without something breaking?
Old July 18, 2017, 07:51 PM   #13
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricz75
Can the American and T/C put as many rounds through the barrel without something breaking?
Parts are going to break, could be the first round could be several thousand down the barrel. You just never know what could happen, but most manufacturers will warranty the rifle for a few years at least. Biggest issues so far with the Ruger American have been the magazine, and if you have issues Ruger will send you a new one. The Compass it is too early to tell.
Old July 18, 2017, 09:53 PM   #14
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Have had a couple Venture's and still have one in .223-----they have been good, accurate rifles for me.

No experience with the Compass and have never even seen one out in the wild---the Ruger and Savage are coming close to being the only things offered by the various "chain" dealers----we still have one LGS where you can fondle most any bolt action out there though.
-------Metallica
Old July 19, 2017, 09:10 AM   #15
MarkCO

Durability and Longevity of the Ruger Americans?

I used the Ruger American .223s in the American Marksman competition this past year. We had 5 (3 RHs, 1 LH and one RH with a cut down stock). We used 2 of them the most and each of those had about 10K through them by the end of the competition. With Aguila factory 55 FMJs, they were shooting at about 1MOA at 100 yards. They were not treated gently at all either. With my handloads, they are one holers for 5 rounds at 100 yards.

The LH one "broke" after about 150 rounds. The roll pin that retains the firing pin was not there when we got it apart. Made a roll pin and it has been fine ever since.

Magazines: I threw about 5 or 6 in the trash during the competition. After some use, they would have feeding issues. For the short actions, there is an aftermarket magazine now.
Old July 21, 2017, 04:12 PM   #16
bricz75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
Magazines: I threw about 5 or 6 in the trash during the competition. After some use, they would have feeding issues. For the short actions, there is an aftermarket magazine now.
I came across the one below but it requires a mod to the rifle.

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore...ory-stock-dbm/
Old July 23, 2017, 08:28 AM   #17
MarkCO

Eagerly awaiting the MagPul Hunter stock for the SA Ruger Americans. $300, with DBM and full adjustability.
Old December 17, 2017, 11:10 AM   #18
epwrangler01

So, what can anyone say about the tc compass? A lot of off subject b.s. but almost nothing about compass.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old December 19, 2017, 10:38 AM   #19
SCgman

As far as bolt actions, since the TC Icons were discontinued, TC/S&W has only produced entry level economy rifles. I own two TC Icons and think the world of them. By comparison, I have never seriously been tempted to purchase a venture, dimension, or now the compass. Aesthetically I find the compass a turn-off.

Having said that, if I had to consider a rifle among those originally listed, the hefty 3-lug full body bolt, 5R rifling in what many consider a quality barrel, and above average factory trigger system could grab my attention. The threaded barrel for a suppressor is the only advantage over a venture. I agree with the earlier comment that the Howa should not have been lumped into that group.
Old December 21, 2017, 09:15 PM   #20
firme67

I just received my 2 TC Compasses in 204 Ruger this week. I have not gotten the scopes mounted yet but the initial impression is I like the look and feel of it better than my Savage Axis and B-Mag. I like the feel of the "regular" trigger, never could get used to the bladed style like the Accutrigger. I have never held a Ruger American so I can't say how it feels compared to them. I have a couple scopes that needed a home so for $199.99 shipped (after $75 rebate) I figured I'd give them a chance.
Old December 22, 2017, 09:45 AM   #21
Wrought

They make excellent beater rifles. They were recalled becausd of faulty safeties though so make sure yours is good to go by checking serial number s
Old December 23, 2017, 10:55 AM   #22
jdc1244

Quote:
So, what can anyone say about the tc compass?
I have one in .223 – very accurate and reliable thus far.

I also have a Ruger American in .30-06, also accurate and reliable thus far.
Old December 23, 2017, 11:09 AM   #23
Cavitation

I just posted this on the other thread in case anyone missed it.

I have about 2 boxes of Hornady 150s through my Compass 30/06. After the trigger was adjusted and sighted in off of a barrel with no real rest i was hitting a 10 inch gong at 300 yards. I put a Vortex 3x9 crossfire II on it.
The rifle says Smith &Wesson on the receiver. I believe they are a step above theSavage and the Remington 780 or whatever the Remington budget rifle is.. I had a Rem 770 that while accurate enough was the clunkiest piece of garbage around. I have minimal experience with the American.
The magazine on the compass is not finnicky and the bolt is smooth on extraction but can fetch on closing a bit. with some work the trigger can be pretty damn good also. I am getting what I need to reload for it now so no real accuracy tests yet but it looks promising. The stock while cheap is totally free floated and pillar bedded and does what it needs to do. I am going to try some Hornady 178 or heavier ELD-M and some 170+SMK. Hope to make this a 500 yard powerline gun with the Hornady 175 ELD hunting bullet. Time will tell thats all I got for ya.
Oh I got this on Black friday for 190 bucks with rebate and filling out a dicks credit app and the sale.

I would like to hear from others that have more range time on this as well.

AL
Old December 25, 2017, 10:50 AM   #24
458winshooter

Budget rifle

I bought a Mossberg Patriot in 300 win mag this past year and I am very partial to it.I'm not prone to getting wood stocks but fit and finish look very nice and these things are said to be one of the best if not the best in class for accuracy.
Old December 26, 2017, 11:39 AM   #25
FALPhil

I purchased a Compass a couple of months ago because it was a deal I couldn't pass up, even before the rebate. The first 3 shots out of the rifle after I mounted the scope came in at 1.1 inches at 100 yards. The next 2 rounds slightly increased the group to 1.2 inches. Subsequent groups tightened up slightly until I started shooting off a bipod. That was with 308 Win reloads where I didn't sort the brass. I have every confidence that I can come up with a load that easily shoots under an inch. I haven't made any long range hunting shots with it yet, but at 85 yards, I can attest that it puts the shot where you need it on white tails.

I don't do Rugers, so I can't compare to the American. I do, however, own a Savage Axis in 243 that I loan to nephews and nieces, and cousins when they come to visit and hunt. The Compass is a much nicer rifle all around. My hunting buddy has a Howa in 308 Win. It is a much nicer looking rifle, but he struggles with accuracy; it's accurate enough for big game at reasonable ranges, but he won't be making any 500+ yard kills with it.

The Compass won't be taking the place of my CZ550 any time soon. The plastic stock is way too flimsy to remain accurate when loading tension on the bipod legs for one thing. But, it makes a great, lightweight truck gun that is loaded with features. Maybe someone who has an American can compare and contrast with this list:

- 2 piece scope mounts are included
- threaded muzzle for brakes or cans, and includes thread protector
- 3 position safety like the Winchester Model 70
- bolt release on the left of the receiver as seen on many custom Remington 700s
- fully adjustable trigger
- 3 lug bolt head for 60 degree throw
- very easy bolt disassembly for interior cleaning and maintenance
- 5 round rotary detachable box magazine
- Guaranteed moa accuracy with premium ammo

Last edited by FALPhil; December 26, 2017 at 11:46 AM.