The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 11, 2018, 09:47 AM   #51
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmady View Post
The terminology is regional. In some places they call them jacks, and the same things are called liners somewhere else.

The 2x4s or whatever's used to make the rough opening would be called the door framing, not the door frame. I've never heard the rough opening for a window called a window frame.

The jambs and trim/brick molding make up the frame.
^^^This. Think of a picture frame. The "frame" is made up of components that hold the picture. It is not the wall you hang it on. Difference between a door frame and door framing. The door frame holds the door, while the framing holds the door frame. According to Merriam-Webster.....

Quote:
Definition of doorframe:

the jambs and upper transverse member enclosing the sides and top of a doorway and usually supporting a door
Door frames can be pretty flimsy, kinda the reason for deadbolt locks with the heavy #12-14 screws holding the strike, long enough to reach to the framing. Not just those little 3/4 inchers screwed into the particle board jamb. Also why, in areas where folks don't use storm/screen doors, they should consider outswinging exterior doors. Much harder to "kick' in.

Could be regional too, I suppose as are many building terms, but been a carpenter specializing in trim and cabinetry for 45 years, and never called the rough opening for any door or window the "frame". Lots of folks call those skinny things under their handrail "spindles" too.

That said, very few folks that hear a story told, second or third party, is getting the truth, the whole truth and nuttin' but the truth....so help me God. Gonna be some embellishment and some "slight adjustments" to the facts. Just human nature. I don't doubt the story at all, but folks remember things slightly different than they actually happen, and a good story gets better everytime it's told. Scientific fact.
Old March 11, 2018, 08:06 PM   #52
JERRYS.

Jesus people, what is the definition of is?
Old March 11, 2018, 08:20 PM   #53
Danoobie

Well, my apologies, I'm obviously wrong. I've kicked in and forced a few dozen doors
in my time, working in housing and construction. Now, I'm what I guess most would call
burly, at 6' 2", 260 pounds. I've seen a lot of jambs give, a lot of doors simply pop open from being loose, but I've just never forced a door, and had the entire frame and door
fall off the buck, and out of the wall. I guess where I lived we used those "nail" things.
My bad...
Old March 11, 2018, 08:22 PM   #54
4V50 Gary
Staff

Dirty Harriet rules!
Old March 11, 2018, 10:25 PM   #55
Colorado Redneck

Thanks for posting the story, Bob. Ignore the posts implying things. For some posters, playing Sherlock Holmes seems to provide an ego boost.

A similar story...a few years back in Oklahoma, a very young widow with a baby became the intended target of a couple of knuckle heads. She lived 30 minutes from law enforcement in a mobile home. The romeo wannabes drove into her yard one evening, and she barricaded the doors, then called 911. She was armed with a shotgun. The 911 dispatcher told her that help was on the way. The widow said the creeps were trying to break in the door, and asked if she could shoot them. 911 said she should do whatever she needed to do. The door gave way, and she shot the first intruder, killing him. The other one escaped, but was arrested the next day.

Women, in general, can be tougher than nails.
Old March 11, 2018, 10:28 PM   #56
Danoobie

Apparently a lot tougher than the nails holding in those door frames!
Old March 11, 2018, 11:13 PM   #57
Bill DeShivs

Bob- some people are just sour.
Old March 12, 2018, 08:34 AM   #58
Carmady

I don't doubt the credibility of the story one bit.

Exterior doors (and windows) are set by the framing crew, and those guys aren't going to shim anything, and they aren't going to put any nails through the jambs into the 2x4s. All they're going to do is nail the brick molding to the wall from the outside, hopefully with an even margin between the door and the jambs. And that little plastic bag which is stapled by the top hinge with the two long screws which are supposed to go through the hinge into the 2x4, what happens to that? That little bag with the screws gets ripped off the jamb and thrown out into the yard.
Old March 12, 2018, 10:20 AM   #59
Mike Irwin
Staff

Another child dead due to the scourge of gun violence that plagues our nation...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 14, 2018, 09:17 PM   #60
samsmix

JERRYS, you spoke my mind!

He related a story. He didn't say he was there. Take it or leave it.

As to the physics, if you point a gun at most anyone, they will recoil with fear. Doubly so if you touch off a round. The bullet didn't have to cause him to fall backwards. The story is believable.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old March 14, 2018, 09:19 PM   #61
samsmix

Thank you to the OP for sharing.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old March 15, 2018, 12:08 AM   #62
4V50 Gary
Staff

Mike - I hate it when these adult children get killed before they can find a cure to cancer.
Old March 15, 2018, 08:29 AM   #63
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmady View Post
I don't doubt the credibility of the story one bit.

Exterior doors (and windows) are set by the framing crew, and those guys aren't going to shim anything, and they aren't going to put any nails through the jambs into the 2x4s. All they're going to do is nail the brick molding to the wall from the outside, hopefully with an even margin between the door and the jambs. And that little plastic bag which is stapled by the top hinge with the two long screws which are supposed to go through the hinge into the 2x4, what happens to that? That little bag with the screws gets ripped off the jamb and thrown out into the yard.
Most of the time, like anything else in life, with home construction/remodeling, you get what you pay for. If that is all you've ever seen from residential house construction, I feel sorry for you. For every fly-by-night carpenter that does it that way, there's a respectable GC that makes sure him or his crew does it right. Those two long screws in that bag are not to secure the frame, but to secure the top hinge since the factory uses self drilling screws and power drivers. Most of the time those holes in the top hinge are stripped out by over tightening and the top hinge will sag because of it. Good carpenters run long screws behind all hinges and the strike plate to secure the frame. That way, if the hinges/hardware are removed, you don't lose your fit. Any good trim carpenter coming behind the framers will assure the door/windows are secured/operating correctly before applying the inside trim. Many times because of movement/changes in moisture during the construction process, doors will have to be adjusted before they are trimmed. Again, what good carpenters do.....unlike the fly-by-nights and your brother in law working for cash. Since little old ladies generally don't buy new houses and most houses close to University dorms are in the older section of town, I'd bet she was in an older home built before 1960 and the door itself was properly secured. Probably enough old lead paint on both sides of the door to hold the frame securely in the opening, even without screws/nails. Odds are the little chain lock/bolt on the inside broke along with the strike being pulled out.

Making assumptions that all carpenters and their skills/discretion are equal, is like saying all firearms are equal for SD/HD. I don't know what you do for a living, but I wouldn't assume you are a deadbeat loser, just because there are a few in your profession that are. I just sure and 'ell hope you ain't in construction.
Old March 15, 2018, 11:20 AM   #64
Wag

Not sure how this became a construction thread or a verification thread.

Great story! I love happy endings.

--Wag--
Old March 15, 2018, 03:39 PM   #65
Carmady

What we've got here is...failure to verficate.
Old March 15, 2018, 09:32 PM   #66
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
What we've got here is...failure to verficate.
???
Old March 15, 2018, 09:37 PM   #67
Danoobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMarksman View Post
???
It's a lampoon of the famous Strother Martin line in Cool Hand Luke.

"What we have here is failure to communicate."...
Old March 15, 2018, 09:58 PM   #68
briandg

the thing to remember when discussing whether or not he was knocked backwards is that people quite frequently fall down when they are shot. ordinarily, they will fall backwards, or forwards, or maybe to one or the other side, and sometimes, they'll just sort of wobble and go splat.

There isn't anything special about it if the guy falls backwards. I was once knocked flat on my back during dodgeball.
Old March 16, 2018, 09:04 PM   #69
jrothWA

Followed firts rlw :...

Use something beginning with a "4" in the caliber, should consider using .44 Spl rounds , for better control.

As for the prep falling backwards, what would you expect being on the DISCHARGE end of a .44MAG!

That does have a FIREBALL expanding off that barrel!

She made verbal Challenge to LEAVE premises
Prep violently broke down a secured door.
Physical evidence supports events as reported.

case closed!
Old March 18, 2018, 09:57 PM   #70
AL45

Mr. Wright, great story and thanks for sharing. I'm surprised someone hasn't questioned the spelling of your last name. Some people have way too much time on their hands.
Old March 20, 2018, 01:49 PM   #71
BeornLS

Thanks for sharing Mr. Wright!
Old March 20, 2018, 05:31 PM   #72
BIGR

Quote:
Mr. Wright, great story and thanks for sharing. I'm surprised someone hasn't questioned the spelling of your last name. Some people have way too much time on their hands.
Thanks for sharing all that with us.

Years ago I worked with a gentleman, his last name was Wright, and he carried a S&W 686 (357 Magnum) on his hip, yelp he was a law enforcer. Kind gentleman about 6 FT or so but he didn't take no bull crap. He was pretty dang strong, no one messed with him, he never had to use that 686, thank goodness.

He is dead and gone now, he will be truly missed forever.