The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 17, 2010, 10:20 PM   #1
abs

Chokes for cynergy

I got cynergy sporting with S, IC, and M chokes - and want to try Full (or else?) for trap. Where can I get it (for less)? I've seen Carlson's at Brownells. Any comments? Thanks.
Old March 18, 2010, 08:37 AM   #2
oletymer

Go here, many choices.

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/home.php?cat=280
Old March 18, 2010, 10:16 AM   #3
RoscoeC

I bought mine here:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...-02-G-01/11313

I found them cheaper at a number of places, but each of them only had 1 or 2 of the ones I was looking for. MGW actually had them and promptly shipped.

Carlson's are available here:

http://www.choketube.com/browning-plus.html
NRA Life Member
Old March 18, 2010, 12:32 PM   #4
BigJimP

Browning chokes are available all over -- I've even bought them from the Browning catalog. There isn't that much difference in price ... ( I don't know what your Cynergy came with / but I like the Midas grade or the Diana grade extended Browning Chokes ). The Browning Citori line / and the Cynergy line use the same Invector Plus chokes ( except in some 28ga and .410 models - that still use the older Invector / but even some of them use the Invector Plus as well )..

A note: for Trap from the 16 - 20 yard line / the most common choke is Modified .... from 21 - 25 yards I go to Imp Modified and 26 and 27 yard lines I use a Full ... ( I'm not a registered shooter ... so most often, I'm shooting from the 16 - 20 yard line depending on how the squad is set up.

But 1 oz of 8's and Modified chokes ( in all of my Brownings ) will smoke targets just fine ( even in a 20ga - but then I go to 7/8 oz of 8's ).. You should buy a full set of chokes ( for me means 2 Skeet, 2 Imp Cycl, 2 Mod, 1 Imp Mod, 1 Full ) and I carry them in a plastic fishing lure box in my vest or in my shooting bag ....but you don't need more than a Modified at the 16 yard line for singles or even for Continental Trap...
Old March 18, 2010, 03:43 PM   #5
RoscoeC

BigJimP is right on. I bought the Midas grade chokes, the same ones that my Cynergy came with. They are clearly labeled on the blister pack that they came in that they are made by Briley. I'm sure the Winchester Invector Plus ones are too. Just depends on whether you think that the Black body with gold ring or the silver body with red ring is the sexiest looking.

I made my set up as follows:
1 Cylinder
2 Skeet
2 Improved Cylinder
1 Light Modified
1 Modified
1 Improved Modified

I shoot mostly Skeet, 5 Stand and Sporting Clays with this gun. I have others that I hunt with.

This is what I like to carry my choke tubes around in:
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...e-tubes/JA113A
Best $22.50 I ever spent. I find the constant rattle rattle of the plastic fishing lure box very annoying.
NRA Life Member
Old March 18, 2010, 05:25 PM   #6
BigJimP

I just cut up an old T shirt - and line the "fishing lure box" with it -- does the same thing ... spray them with a little Rig Oil spray ....they don't rattle that way either .... but nothing wrong with a nice bag to carry them in either. ( I can't carry my Browning chokes in a Beretta bag Roscoe ...I'd have to wash, every time I touched it man ..)...

But there are all kinds of choke tube carriers - Browning used to make some but now all I see if the plastic one in the catalog ....( and I would not use a wrench on any choke tube either - I just put them in and out with a little finger pressure / stick your finger into the tube and twist it in or out ) ...any tighter than this is overkill. I change my chokes often on a sporting course - "why carry em, if you don't intend to use them" ....

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...03J&catalog_=J
Old March 19, 2010, 10:28 PM   #7
RoscoeC

Quote:
I can't carry my Browning chokes in a Beretta bag Roscoe
Yeah, I kind of enjoy that kind of thing. Last time I shot skeet at a local club, they only have 2 ranges, so you usually end up squaded with a bunch of strangers and I wasn't shooting very well. One of the guys came up to me and said, "I know what your problem is...you are shooting a Browning and you are wearing a Glock cap." I'm pretty sure it isn't the cap, the choke tube carrier, the Browning shotgun, or anything but the shooter. Oh, well, keep on keeping on.
NRA Life Member
Old March 20, 2010, 11:40 AM   #8
BigJimP

I still wear my Browning stuff / even when I sometimes shoot a Benelli ... / just can't bring myself to wear any of the Beretta / Benelli stuff ....
Old March 20, 2010, 12:53 PM   #9
zippy13

"How do 'chu like my stinking choke tube holder?"