The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 14, 2015, 05:56 PM   #26
FITASC

Since you mentioned HD, personally, I would lose the sling - just something that can get snagged at the wrong moment in time - JMO
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 14, 2015, 06:00 PM   #27
JERRYS.

the sling is for range time and zombie defense when I check the mail.

home defense does not included searching your home, it is hunkering down, focusing fire (if needed) at the funnel the bad guy has to use to get to you.... wait until the cops show up. I just wanted some sort of sling to make it portable when i'm afield.....
Old December 14, 2015, 06:34 PM   #28
ronl

Nice shotgun. I have a sling on my SPX, too. Sometimes it goes with me out in the woods coyote hunting.
Old December 14, 2015, 07:09 PM   #29
FITASC

Quote:
home defense does not included searching your home, it is hunkering down, focusing fire
Absolutely, but grabbing your gun and moving around the room to get behind cover and something can snag which is why I mentioned it.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 14, 2015, 07:16 PM   #30
JERRYS.

I gotcha. the red dot and sling are for the pic to show what it would be afield.
Old December 14, 2015, 07:43 PM   #31
johnwilliamson062

HD is about getting to a corner of your room if all your family members are in that room. Many of us have children in other rooms we need to worry about.

Even if you are just hunkering down you should spend some time on retention methods.
Old December 14, 2015, 07:53 PM   #32
JERRYS.

yep. ^
Old December 15, 2015, 04:36 PM   #33
Dreaming100Straight

The only person who can say whether hd consists of hunkering down in one place or clearing rooms is the individual. I for one would hunker down if possible, but another might feel the need to clear rooms.

A sling is not just for trudging across fields. There may a need to use both hands in which case you would have to drop or put the shotgun down (i.e.: to pick up a child, rack the slide of a pistol). Again, I think it extremely unlikely that I ever am involved in a HD scenario and if I was, a sling is much more likely to be a hindrance than an aid, but that is my choice. Your mileage may differ.
Old December 15, 2015, 05:11 PM   #34
JERRYS.

Dreaming, there are reasons cops don't clear rooms by themselves. those same reasons would behoove private citizens.
Old December 15, 2015, 08:20 PM   #35
Nathan

Looks a lot like my deer gun.

Mine is a 930 combo gun; rifled slug barrel; Spector Gear 2 pt sling; ggg side mount; Vortex Strikefire

I would run a +2, but state law says 3 rounds max.

Always 100% reliable, even rain soaked and covered in mud....yes, I fell on it!

I just wish I had a better cheek weld. I'm planning to hot glue some cheek riser on, if I cannot find a better solution. The piece I have ties on, but it moves. Does anybody have a better cheek riser idea for a red dot?
Old December 15, 2015, 09:54 PM   #36
FITASC

Quote:
I just wish I had a better cheek weld. I'm planning to hot glue some cheek riser on,
Beartooth comb set; comes with a neoprene sleeve and several varying foam inserts for different heights

http://www.beartooth-products.com/re...sing-kits.html

Do a google search for the best price
Old December 16, 2015, 07:30 PM   #37
johnwilliamson062

I tried the neoprene sleeve and foam cheek riser. I really didn't like it. If your interested I will look through my boxes of junk and if I find it send it to you.
Old December 16, 2015, 09:51 PM   #38
FITASC

Got two of them already but I needed my combs lowered, not raised.
Old January 13, 2016, 11:57 AM   #39
JERRYS.

I found a few things interesting yesterday when I was out at the range. regarding shell ejection, when I used Remington and Winchester (high brass)00 buck the shells ejected to the side almost 90 degrees. when I used some Suprema 00 buck (cheap stuff and low brass) the shells ejected forward at about 45 degrees. I had to jams out of 25 with this ammo, each time the spent shell was still in the ejection port while a new load was being lifted into place.

this leads me to believe the low brass stuff doesn't cycle the bolt hard enough to pull and "pop" the spent shell out before it starts moving forward. the slower action of the bolt from the low brass means the bolt is coming forward and hitting the spend shell case as it is on the way out thus creating the forward type ejection pattern.

anyone else have such occurrences?

thanks.
Old January 14, 2016, 01:37 AM   #40
Sarge

I blew your pic up Jerry and I like what you did with that 930. I've got a field/security combo coming, should be in tomorrow. I've done a lot reading-up on the 930 over the past month and here's my take on it.

The 930's gas system is AK47 simple, controls are in the right places and it's generally overbuilt. Threegunners are pounding hell out of them and they don't break or wear out. Of course it's a price-point auto and internals, though robust, are often poorly finished.

You might get one that's essentially OK and will de-burr itself in the first hundred or so rounds. But burrs on shell catches, recoil springs, plungers, mag tubes & followers are common and they sometimes interfere with function. The good news is that the 930's popularity in threegun has resulted substantial engineering toward perfecting it. You can basically do the work yourself and get it there under 200 bucks including night sights for a ribbed barrel. I think it's a wise investment if you intend to use the gun for heavy shooting, competition, duty or defense.

Last edited by Sarge; January 14, 2016 at 01:43 AM.
Old January 14, 2016, 08:01 PM   #41
Sarge

My Mossberg 930 Field/Security Combo arrived today. It is of course a 12 gauge. This combo comes with a ported, 28" Vent Rib with a Fiber Optic sight and an 18.5" barrel with a plain brass bead. Stock pitch spacers, three choke tubes, a wrench for same and an orange chamber flag complete this very utilitarian package. 'Utilitarian' was exactly what I was looking for. This particular specimen came outfitted with a knurled, oversize bolt handle. I'm so tactical, I flatulate ninjy stars.

The synthetic stock came equipped with the OEM Mossberg stock burr, guaranteed to draw blood if you don't clean it up. My old Case XX Stockman made short work of it.

If you believe the internet, Winchester's Universal field load is Kryptonite to the Mossberg 930. I had a couple of boxes on hand so that's what I fed this shotgun. I didn't do the 'pre-clean' we always hear about; I just crammed the shotgun full of Universal and commenced firing. I ran about 30 rounds of it through each barrel, firing deliberately as fast as I could engage targets and occasionally, emptying a full load from the hip as fast as I could pull the trigger. There were no failures of any kind. I also ran ten rounds of Winchester 2 3/4” full power 00 buck and five of the same company's slugs through each barrel, again with no failures.

While the field barrel is perfectly regulated, my short barrel prints slugs about 8” high and 4” left at 25 yards. 100-odd rounds of mixed ammo don't prove much; but so far I can find no other fault with the this shotgun.
Old January 15, 2016, 10:38 AM   #42
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I also ran ten rounds of Winchester 2 3/4” full power 00 buck and five of the same company's slugs through each barrel, again with no failures.
What I like best about this gun is it's soft shooting, even with loads like these. I could shoot mine all day long with what many consider "shoulder rockers." Did you find yours to be the same?
Old January 15, 2016, 12:06 PM   #43
JERRYS.

Sarge, you had me at Case XX (classic knives).
Old January 15, 2016, 04:22 PM   #44
Sarge

I shot a Remington 11-87 for years, with a prefit Limbsaver on it. It kicked a whole lot less than our 14" issue 870's. With the same loads, I believe this 930 is softer shooting than the 11-87.

For most of my life I pretty much ignored any recoil that didn't draw blood or cause audible feedback from my skeletal system. But about a year ago I had my right shoulder taken apart & screwed back together, so I notice these things more than I used to.