The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 14, 2010, 09:04 PM   #1
blackdog_507

Polishing a stainless 1911....?????

I'm looking a purchasing a stainless Springfield from my local gun dealer. Its a nice piece, a Custom Loaded Mil-Spec version. Good price ($500) but its seen some use. Nothing too major, but some small scratches and general surface wear. I've polished a lot of aluminum and stainless motorcycle parts before, but never on a pistol. Haven't had the kahona's to rip into a $500+ piece of stainless. What I've done before is used auto body sand paper starting with 400 grit and moved all the way down to 2000 grit, then a buffing wheel with some polish on it. I've made some brushed or dull finish stuff turn out fairly well. Anyone ever done anything like this on a pistol? should I attempt? Advice?
Old October 14, 2010, 10:02 PM   #2
AK103K

I got this one with the polished flats in pretty rough shape. I bead blasted it using glass beads.

Polished stainless to me, seems awfully susceptible to scratches, and easily damaged or marked up, or at least the guns I've had were. The matte finish seems to do a little better, and its easily touched up.

Old October 15, 2010, 12:14 AM   #3
Mosin44az

Nice job on the beadblast on that Officer's. Looks great.

I have a local gunsmith who does that. Made my old J & G Model 64 look brand new.

He also polished the scratches on the sides of my Colt XSE Commander nicely, pretty much eliminated them. The scratches on the "rougher" finished steel around the trigger area he said he couldn't fix. Maybe bead blasting the whole gun could do that.
Old October 15, 2010, 07:09 AM   #4
AK103K

Those J&G 64's were a great deal, eh? I got one too. Mines in real good shape with some minor dings. At this point, I'm just going to leave it alone. Im trying to figure out how they got them so clean. Mine was absolutely spotless, and cleaner than a new gun when I got it.

Bead blasting the whole gun makes things simple, and the results are a finish I prefer. I dont know how much work would be involved in blasting the whole gun and then re polishing the flats. I suppose you could mask the areas already polished, but I think the edges might be tough to deal with. I'm sure they probably blast the whole gun and then polish off the flats, getting those nice sharp edges.

Tags
1911 , 45 acp , springfield 1911 , stainless