The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 26, 2001, 11:59 AM   #1
Glockster35

Savage Bashing anyone?

Is TFL going to become a place where there is a bunch of Savage Rifle Bashing? I have seen my fill of this on other boards.

I began coming here because there were several Savage owners here sharing information, now it seems there is a lot of bickering going on with Remington owners. This is something I won't tolerate, and that would be dispoleasing to me.

I for one think the Savage is a well made weapon, at low cost, and that is why I bought one, not because I think it is better than a Remington.

I haven't replaced my stock, and really don't plan on it until something comes out that I just got to have. I haven't replaced my trigger either, just tuned it myself. With everything I have spent on my rifle I am right around $800, which is what I had budgeted for my rifle.

A comparable Remington in my neck of the woods was $800 without a scope, rings or bipods. I honestly doubt I would have gotten the Remington anyway as I don't see the need when I can get a comparable rifle for much less. Yes, I will agree that there are many more accessories for the Remingotn 700, but I am just not an accessory kind of guy.

If you are a diehard Remington fan, I for one understand that. This is America fellas, you have a right to your opinoins, and the right to post them on this board. I prefer Glocks as my favorite handgun, but I will be the last person to say that your 1911, S&W, Ruger, Colt, SA, HS2000 is a POS!

I think everyone who is doing the bickering ought to rethink their stances and grow up a bit. If you have nothing nice to post, then you should consider not posting anything at all. It's the right thing to do.

No one comes here to read your snide remarks!

Flame on!
Old October 26, 2001, 12:05 PM   #2
El Rojo

Where is this bashing occuring?

I have not witnessed any of this bashing that you and Karsten have claimed. I am a proud Remington owner, but make no comments on Savage as I have never shot one or used one. Am I being thrown in with the rest of the Remington group based on the sole fact that I own a Remington? Do some people maybe just need to let go on this? I think the majority of posters here are more of the type of get what works for you. I think a bad experience with a few mediocre posters has branded us all. I could be wrong though. Show me the posts where all of this rhetoric and inflamation has occured so I can know what is going on.
Old October 26, 2001, 12:10 PM   #3
Molon Labe!

Right On!

Right on glockster35! I love glocks, and savages, I have shot remingtons before bad have no bad comments on them. I hear people saying savage sucks and all, that is only 99.9% true, and that one pronblem may be the trigger. I like the savage trigger, it is just fine the way it came IMHO.
Old October 26, 2001, 12:50 PM   #4
M700

I STILL don't know where this "Savage Bashing" is occuring.

And if it IS occuring, Cant you just shoot what you like and not worry about what other people think?
Old October 26, 2001, 01:05 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

I, too, would really like to see examples of what you and Karsten consider "Savage Bashing."

I see NUMEROUS comments taking Savage to task over certain aspects of its design and/or production, but I've yet to find a sweeping condemnation of Savages simply because they're cheaper than a Remington.

But what I've seen is NOT bashing, it's criticism.

I really would like to a bashing thread.

In fact, given the apparent belief that Savage bashing is constant and unremitting, I'd like to see a NUMBER of such threads.

Without some method of gauging your disconent based on a threads that you view as bashing, this comes across as nothing more than a whine because someone doesn't like your choice of toy.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 26, 2001, 02:07 PM   #6
Glockster35

My post was based on the post Karsten made earlier. Not having the facts from his post, I posted mine. I have personally not seen any of these bashing posts on TFL.

Maybe I jumped on the bandwagon half cocked.

El Rojo, just because you own a Remington doesn't make you a Savage basher, that isn't what I said at all.

Mike Irwin, I am not whining, just wanted to get everyone elses opinions on the topic Karsten opened up.

Obviously if I cared about everyone elses opinions I would own nothing more that 1911's and Remingtons, not Glocks and Savages.
Old October 26, 2001, 02:24 PM   #7
Master Blaster

I just bought my first savage 3 weeks ago. Its a savage sport striker bolt action handgun in 22lr. I mounted a PDP 5 red dot on it and went to the range, at 25 yards it took me 5 minutes to zero it.

I then proceded to fire a 30 shot group using CCI standard velocity ammo which measured .35 inches including 3 "fliers".

It is my most accurate .22 now. The best part was the price $200
out the door!

Now if I can figure out what ammo it likes best.

Every part of it seems solid and well made and designed.

I am very impressed with my savage
Old October 26, 2001, 02:28 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I don't think your message was a request for information at all, at least not the way you worded it.

It came across as a castigation against those who supposedly were bashing Savages.

Not a good thing when you admit that you don't know if it's going on or not.

Old October 26, 2001, 02:37 PM   #9
PJR

Is this a continuation of the Tikka versus Savage thread? If so, it seemed Tikka was getting the worst of it based on the misconceptions of one individual.

Savage makes a sturdy, reliable product at a reasonable price. It's definitely value for money. You can get a better rifle but be prepared to pay heavily for the privelege.

I've never bashed Savage. It would cut in to my Ruger bashing.
Old October 26, 2001, 02:41 PM   #10
Glockster35

Mike Irwin,

My post started out as:

Is TFL going to become a place where there is a bunch of Savage Rifle Bashing?

That is a question, is it not?

I think everyone who is doing the bickering ought to rethink their stances and grow up a bit. If you have nothing nice to post, then you should consider not posting anything at all. It's the right thing to do.

This statement wasn't directed at anyone directly, simply stating my point of view on the bickering topic in general. Even if you are bickering about Remingtons.

Mike you will also notice I ended my post with "Flame on", expecting coments like yours, and welcoming them.
Old October 26, 2001, 02:44 PM   #11
Glockster35

PJR and Absolom,

Yes I think that is where Karsten began his post, basically a continuation on that topic. Although he refers to a few others.
Old October 26, 2001, 03:04 PM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I think everyone who is doing the bickering ought to rethink their stances and grow up a bit. If you have nothing nice to post, then
you should consider not posting anything at all. It's the right thing to do.

No one comes here to read your snide remarks!"

Taken in the context of the rest of your message, your question of what might be with the TFL form is at best hypothetical, as you immediately follow it with the above quoted statement.

That is the crux of your position. That the incidents are in fact taking place. Hence, an attack against those supposedly making the snide comments.

At best, your wording could have been different.

At worst, you jumped the gun.

Old October 26, 2001, 03:07 PM   #13
Glockster35

At best, your wording could have been different.

At worst, you jumped the gun.

Mike Irwin,

Maybe you are right, Point taken!
Old October 26, 2001, 03:58 PM   #14
johnwill

"This is something I won't tolerate, and that would be dispoleasing to me."

Try ignoring the thread if you don't like what's said. Everyone has opinions, and I expect you'll see a lot of them expressed here. Remember, opinions are like.... nevermind.

"Flame on!"

Now I understand, you are just trying to start another flame war! Have fun...
Old October 26, 2001, 05:15 PM   #15
El Rojo

Your point is taken Glockster, we are in agreement.

I see your main point Glockster. Lets not bash each others own choices. I incorrectly lumped you in with Karsten. I still would like to see a link where all of this possibly started. As of now, we simply have Karsten claiming that Remington executives have taken over TFL and are squashing any attempts of competition. So where is the proof?
Old October 26, 2001, 06:44 PM   #16
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

As of last night, I now own .5% of Remington, Inc, and hope to help guide those here who have lost the way back to the bright green light. Just kidding.

I think Savage makes a good value, and certain older Savages are on my eventual want list.

I think many problems occur, when a forum member takes someone else's personal, subjective opinion about an item as a personal affront. When the offended party shoots off a flaming reply, we have an issue. If the thread then gets closed, the flamer supposes it's because I/Art/the Remington execs who masquerade as "Staff" are prejudiced against his tool of choice. Nah...we just want y'all to play nice.

Seriously, there's enough hostility directed at gun owners from ignorant outsiders and politically motivated detractors. Let's not fight amongst ourselves.

If any of you have any concerns, please email me, Art, or Rich.

Best,

John

Wandering Thoughts
Old October 26, 2001, 06:49 PM   #17
RikWriter

I've owned four Savage bolt actions and never had a single problem with any of them. Very very good rifle for the money.
Old October 26, 2001, 07:29 PM   #18
Will Beararms

Ease up on the caffeine------please. I have hung around for a while here and I have not witnessed what you say is happening. Nothing' wrong with a savage.

I chose the Rem. 710 over the savage due to the trigger but the savage or the model 70 black shadow is a better gun in all respects.

I hate the bolt on the 710, I don't like the clip fed mag and I hate the teflon insert but that weapon has an excellent and I do mean excellent trigger for a $299.00 rifle. (imho)
Old October 26, 2001, 07:34 PM   #19
ED CHAVEZ

Come and visit.....

Come and visit our new website and join us in our discussion forums. Or just stop-on by to see what we are about. Thank you.

http://www.awrm.org

"They may kill me, but there will always be more like me" -ED CHAVEZ

They told me,"throw down your guns, return to the earth...HAH! time enough for the earth in the grave". -ED CHAVEZ

"Do not fear the governments, that fears you". -ED CHAVEZ

Proud Member of: NAHC LIFE, GOA, JPFO, CRPA, and NRA.
Old October 26, 2001, 07:38 PM   #20
ED CHAVEZ

Haters..............

If they want to bash Savage let them. Many of us know Savage firearms are excellent rifles, those of them saying something else either are jealous or haven't shot one.

Just ignore them.

They told me,"throw down your guns, return to the earth...HAH! time enough for the earth in the grave". -ED CHAVEZ

Old October 26, 2001, 07:38 PM   #21
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Come and visit.....
Um, Ed, I'm not certain I understand the intent of your post.

Are you soliciting Savage bashing at your site? Are you soliciting Remmy bashing? Help me understand the relevance to this thread, 'cuz if I'm confused, I'm certain someone else is, too

Wandering Thoughts
Old October 26, 2001, 07:55 PM   #22
ED CHAVEZ

I ain't bashing a thing. I love all firearms. The site I posted is a new site that just came out. Come and visit and tell us what you think, maybe you'll like it, if you do sign-on, tell your friends. Later-on. Remember the #1 rule in a gunfight is,"Have a gun".

Old October 26, 2001, 08:01 PM   #23
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sheesh!

Over the last three years of TFL, the overall consensus of ALL comments about Savage 110-series rifles is that they are very good as to accuracy.

The MAJORITY of negative comments has had to do ONLY with the factory-issue trigger.

There have been a FEW people who work hard at picking flypoop out of pepper and nitpick about such things as the appearance, or how the barrel is attached, and that sort of trivia. It is my belief that these folks would whine were they hanged with a new rope.

So: Can we let all this backing and forthing about bashing just DIE?

Art
Old October 26, 2001, 08:17 PM   #24
MiniZ

I personally haven't seen the bashing. I do know Karsten, and I like and respect him.

He has received some grief(and I honestly don't know if it is this board or others) over his choice of a Savage.

For what my .02 is worth, I won't knock anyones choice of firearm unless it is a known to be dangerous. We all have our personal preferences and budgets. I personally own no bolt actions except a Ruger 77/22 Mag, so I have never made any suggestions to what brand is better than the other.

Is the Remington more expensive? Yes it is. Is it a better rifle? All things taken together, probably. Does this make Savage/Ruger/Winchester/et all pieces of dookie? Absolutely not!!

Let this die! As long as you are happy with your firearm, that is all that matters. If you don't care for someones choice in firearms, then don't make it a personal attack. If you want to make objective arguments against a particular model, great. But if you have a personal issue with someone, take it off the board and settle it via email.

Zane
Old October 26, 2001, 09:35 PM   #25
Redneck2

You guys make this WAY too complicated..

Just shut up and shoot....heck, if a guy with a _____ (fill in the blank) can shoot a better group, then it seems like that's the one to have.

I have a super redneck hillbilly friend from southern Illinois that hunts with the most beat up pump shotgun I've ever seen. Looks like it was dragged down 3 miles of dirt road. I'm thinkin' this boy was born with a shotgun in his hand (kinda feel sorry for his momma)....

ANYWAY.....if he ever misses, I haven't seen it. He's killed more game than most people have seen. A city feller was tryin' impress him with his new super shiny special. His reply...I've heard you talk, I've seen your gun...now show me how you shoot".

Oh, if you're going to shoot against him for money, you'd better bring plenty. He has 3 safes full of Parkers, Lc. Smith's, you name it. Just likes that old pump.