The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 21, 2017, 06:10 PM   #1
BigMikey76

Range Trip With My New SD9

I haven't been able to go to the range for a couple months, but, since I needed to test out my new carry gun, I had to make time for it today. I met a buddy at the local range and made an afternoon of it. He brought all of his toys, and I brought my new SD9, which will be the focus of this post. Before going on about it, though, I must admit that after shooting his GP100 and his AR-15 (first time for me on both), I think there may be some new friends arriving in my safe in the near future

Now for the review of the SD9.

First let's get some important details out of the way: I put 300 rounds through it today - 250 WWB 115g fmj and 50 115g critical defense. No failures of any kind. The slide didn't hold open on the last round on the second to last mag of WWB.

Now for my impressions: It was easy to shoot. Recoil was not a problem at all, not that I expected it to be. The SD9 pointed very naturally for me, and it fit my hand very well. The accuracy I got out of it was more than adequate for a SD gun. I am very pleased.

We can't talk about the SD9, however without addressing the elephant in the room - the trigger. Everything I have seen, heard, read or otherwise researched about the SD9 has said that you have to get the Apex spring kit for it. I had already dry fired it extensively before going to the range, and now, with 300 rounds of live fire through it, I have to say that the Apex kit is just not necessary. If you want to make it a bullseye shooting target pistol (though I'm not sure why anyone would want an SD9 for that), the trigger mods are probably a good idea, but for self defense, there is just no need. This gun shots fine as is. I'm not going to tell you it is great, cause it isn't, but for daily carry, I find a longer double action style pull comforting. That was my favorite part of the P-07 I used to carry sometimes, in fact.

Final verdict: as soon as I got home from the range, I switched out the kydex shell on my Alien Gear holster, and the SD9 has now proudly taken it's place as my new carry gun.

Here are some pics for those who want to take a look.

This is Gandalf (because he has a gray frame and I'm a huge nerd)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fqa...w?usp=drivesdk

This one is to give you an idea of how well he fits in my hand
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dVH...w?usp=drivesdk

Here is the last target of the day. I put up a fresh one at 7 yards and ran two full mags of my carry ammo through at semi rapid speed (two sixteen round mags in about 40 seconds) just to make sure the carry ammo would cycle properly. If a picture is worth 1000 words, this one just wrote an essay about trigger mods being unnecessary with this gun
https://drive.google.com/file/d/190y...w?usp=drivesdk

Last edited by BigMikey76; May 21, 2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old May 22, 2017, 05:19 PM   #2
cocojo

I use to own an original SD and stupidly sold it. They are good pistols and very reliable. Way too much is made of triggers today. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the sd trigger for a carry combat weapon. Too light a trigger are good for range guns but a trigger a bit heavier is better for carry concealment. I dont want a 4 lb triggered gun aiming at my crotch holster or not.
Old May 22, 2017, 07:51 PM   #3
BigMikey76

Quote:
I dont want a 4 lb triggered gun aiming at my crotch holster or not
I carry IWB at the 3:30 position, but I certainly agree with that sentiment, nonetheless.
Old May 23, 2017, 06:35 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Sounds like you're pleased with your purchase, BigMikey76. Glad to hear it. Thanks for the report.
Old May 25, 2017, 08:36 PM   #5
Apple a Day

A friend of mine got a pair of them (his n' hers) and asked me to take her to the range to try them out. I was very pleasantly surprised. I found nothing offensive about the triggers and they ran 100%.
If I was in the market for a knockaround gun/truck gun/hurricane gun they'd be high on my list of candidates.
Old May 28, 2017, 01:41 PM   #6
ThomasT

I have one in my console now. It and a spare mag. Mine is the version before yours. It has been 100% reliable through about 300 rounds. I did replace one spring for a slightly lighter one and that made a little bit of difference but it really wasn't needed.

If Academy runs their exclusive version on sale I will pick up another one. And I would prefer a slightly heavier trigger myself. Glock has already been sued for NDs because of the ease which the guns can be fired without intending to fire them.