The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 16, 2017, 10:09 AM   #1
Walnut

Moon Clips and .357

I'm looking for opinions on the functionality of moon clips in a .357 magnum. I'm thinking the length of the cartridge could cause issues with alignment to the cylinder when loading at speed. By the way this would be used in a 686 Plus.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:54 AM   #2
cslinger

Here is my completely low speed high drag untrained absolutely free internet opinion.

The best thing about moonclips, especially in a long cartridge like .357/.38 is getting all the loaded spent cartridges out of the gun quickly and efficiently. For a reload I prefer a speed loader for a couple reasons.

1-I find it simply easier and quicker to load vs a moon clip in .357/.38.
2-they are way more durable for carrying around spare ammo/don't bend etc.

So I keep the moonclip for the rounds already loaded and use a speed loader to re-load.

If your sir name happens to be Miculek then disregard everything I have said except for the low speed high drag untrained idiot part.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:08 AM   #3
T. O'Heir

Don't think you can use moon clips with a 686. Unless you have the cylinder machined so they fit. Speed loaders don't have that issue. Easier to find too.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:30 AM   #4
Model12Win

Miculek uses a .45 with moon clips.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:33 AM   #5
Walnut

^^^^
You are correct, the cylinder would need to be cut for moon clips. I don't have a problem modifying a gun to suit my taste and use. I just want some idea what I'm getting into first.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:45 AM   #6
BigJimP

I think the moon clips work very well with .357 mag ... ( I have used them in a pair of S&W 627's ( 8 shot )...and in an older model 27 ( 6 shot ) ...all N frames.

If they are loaded in the clips properly ..they drop in and out very cleanly - and quickly...( but its not like you're going to save more than a few tenths of a second ).

The trick is getting the new rounds into the moon clips properly and straight..( and removing the spent cases without distorting the moon clips)...there are some tools available thru Brownells. But even with the tools, its a time consuming process. If you distort the moon clips ..you run the risk of the gun jamming as you are firing - and its difficult to clear a stuck moon clip...

I have given up on the moon clips in the 627's, etc....and gone back to speed loaders ( star loaders in the 627's / and a Safariland loader in the model 27..) - but I don't shoot revolvers competitively either / just for fun.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:57 AM   #7
75218ron

i have speed loaders and moon clips, but for me I find the Bianchi speed strips to be more convenient. I love them.
Old May 16, 2017, 01:35 PM   #8
AzShooter

Have TKCustom convert your cylinder for moon clips, then buy his clips. His moons hold the cartridges very well with no flopping. It won't matter if you use .38s or .357s.

Best brass for the moons is Federal, Remington Peters and Starline. If you use Starling tell TK and he will fit the moons to your brass.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:58 AM   #9
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walnut
By the way this would be used in a 686 Plus.
Your speedloader options are largely narrowed to the twist-release type of speedloader. Many prefer the push-release type, so even though moons work best with short fat rounds like .45acp, you might prefer them over your speedloader options. Like AZshooter mentioned, you can have the cylinder milled, and with the right moonclip/brass combo, you'd get minimal wobbling.

(btw, if you're thinking of using this gun in gun games, you'd be much better off going with a standard 6-shot (IDPA) or 8-shot (USPSA) revolver)
Old May 17, 2017, 11:47 AM   #10
Dave T

I have a 7-shot L-frame that I had TK Custom modify for their Moonclips. I specified Star-line brass and the rounds fit fine in the Moonclips I bought at the time I had the cylinder modified.

The only speed loader available for the 7-shot L-frame is the HKS. It requires loading with the right hand while the left holds the cylinder to keep it from rotating. I have 40 years of loading with the left hand ingrained, starting when I shot PPC with a bull-gun in '76-'77 and used Date Screw Machine loaders. Later in shooting practical pistol competition I either used Safariland, again with the left hand, or full moon clips in M-25s and 625s.

Because of the above it was worth it to me to be able to use Moonclips in the 7-shot S&W. With the proper tools they are no harder to load than hi-cap magazines that need loaders to top them off. And the advantages are numerous.

If you are a casual range shooter the Moonclips are probably not worth the bother. If you plan to carry the revolver for self-defense (as I intend to do) then they are indeed worth all the "bother".

Choose wisely,
Dave
Old May 17, 2017, 12:36 PM   #11
BigJimP

5 Star makes a speed reloader for the 7 shot 686 as well...
Old May 21, 2017, 01:14 AM   #12
DWFan

A loaded full-moon clip is more compact than a loaded speedloader.
Old May 21, 2017, 06:52 AM   #13
smee78

I am a fan of moon clips and have used them in my 627, 625, 940 and Ruger Speed Six 9mm. They are handy when clearing the weapon to reload and keeping my brass close by BUT out of my weapons I prefer the shorter stubby rounds of the 45 or 9mm in moon clips. The longer 357/38 rounds just don't seem as quick or as easy to manipulate to me and it seems even worse in the 8 shot 627 due to the additional rounds fighting to get lined up, don't get me wrong when the stars & moon line up they drop in quick but if not it takes just as long to use the speed strips or speed loader for me. Good luck with your decision.
Old May 21, 2017, 07:23 AM   #14
Walnut

Thanks for your responses.
For the time being I will leave things as they are and stick with speed loaders. I will say I like the idea of using a moon clip with the initial load followed by a speed loader for the reload.