The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2017, 03:31 PM   #1
sixgunnin

Starline Nickel Plated 45 Colt Cases?

Does Starline's nickel plated Brass last as long as there yellow brass?
Old May 8, 2017, 03:43 PM   #2
Bob Wright

I don't know, haven't worn out any yet. No reason why they wouldn't, though.

I load cases with heavy loads only about ten times, after that I keep those cases for mild loads. Most cases last me through forty or fifty loadings.

Incidentally, I use my .44 Special and .45 Colt nickeled cases for daily carry in leather cartridge slides.

Bob Wright
Old May 8, 2017, 04:12 PM   #3
Real Gun

Theoretically no, but why have nickel in your regular reloading rotation? Mine only serve for contact with leather when needed. Didn't check, but I believe mine cost more than regular brass. What's the plan?
Old May 8, 2017, 04:30 PM   #4
sixgunnin

Quote:
What's the plan?
I'll be using them in my black western rig with my stainless New Vaquero, I think they will ad a nice touch to my fancy rig
Old May 8, 2017, 04:34 PM   #5
Real Gun

You can still compete with brass, because it won't be in the belt long enough to make a mess.

You know, that rig would look really cool with ivory-colored grips...sort of a tuxedo look. Bling bullets and bling gun.
Old May 8, 2017, 04:49 PM   #6
sixgunnin

Actually I got black checkered grips for it so it will match the leather. I think it will be a very nice rig, if I figure out how to post photos I will probably post some pics of it when I get everything.
Old May 8, 2017, 05:13 PM   #7
TruthTellers

Don't know about you, but I'd use the Nickel .45 Colt cases for above standard pressure loads for a Ruger Redhawk or Blackhawk or a 1892 Lever gun. That way I instantly know it's not meant to be shot in anything else.
Old May 8, 2017, 05:21 PM   #8
DaleA

I've had marvelous luck reloading .45 ACP nickeled cases many, many times...don't know why it wouldn't be the same for .45 Colt.

Good luck.
Old May 9, 2017, 06:06 AM   #9
FlyFish

I don't know about Starline specifically but I've been reloading nickel plated and unplated brass interchangeably for over 40 years in many different calibers and I've never noticed a difference in case life other than one batch of Remington .38 brass where the nickel plating started flaking off around the case mouth after a couple reloadings. I tossed those, but have other plated brass that has been reloaded so much the plating has just about worn off. Some claim that the plated cases split sooner. I don't necessarily dispute that but haven't seen it personally.
Old May 9, 2017, 09:51 AM   #10
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Sometimes nickel plated brass tends to split more often than plain brass. This can happen if the plating job has been poorly done. I have never used any Starline plated brass, but I have used tons of their standard brass, and it is top quality, so I suspect their plated brass would also be top quality.

However I must ask, with your black western rig and stainless New Vaquero, do you have any idea how much a gun belt with 25 or so rounds of 45 Colt in the loops weighs? When I started in CAS I kept 25 rounds of 45 Colt rounds loaded with 250 grain bullets in my belt loops. Gave that up pretty early when I realized how much all that lead weighed. Of course, we carry two revolvers in CAS, but even so, putting that many rounds in your belt loops will easily add another pound to the rig.

Wearing two Colts at about 2 1/2 pounds each was plenty for me to carry around all day without the added weight of bullets. These days I only keep a few 44-40 rounds in my belt loops in case I need a reload.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:30 AM   #11
jackmoser65

Starline is good brass. You'll probably wear the nickel off them before they split or peel.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:42 AM   #12
T. O'Heir

Makes no difference one way or the other to case life. Have noticed the nickel coming off though. Plating has nothing whatever to do with being better with hot loads either.
The case mouths will crack before anything else happens.
25 250 grain bullets weighs 6250 grains or 14.3 ounces. Plus the weight of the rest of the cartridge. Got a good belt? snicker.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:57 AM   #13
jackmoser65

Quote:
Makes no difference one way or the other to case life.
That depends. Some plated brass has proven to be quite brittle and survives very few loadings. It's a product of the plating process.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:59 AM   #14
Real Gun

My 45 Colt rig of belt, two holsters, and 25 rounds of 250 gr weighs 2 pounds, 10 and a fraction ounces. I might not carry any more than needed during a match, but looking authentic the rest of the time is part of it too. No experience, since my first match as just a spectator is the end of the month.
Old May 9, 2017, 02:34 PM   #15
SaxonPig

I doubt that there is any significant difference in longevity but I confess I have never worn out a 45 Colt case so I really can't say for sure.
Old May 9, 2017, 07:42 PM   #16
sixgunnin

Quote:
However I must ask, with your black western rig and stainless New Vaquero, do you have any idea how much a gun belt with 25 or so rounds of 45 Colt in the loops weighs? When I started in CAS I kept 25 rounds of 45 Colt rounds loaded with 250 grain bullets in my belt loops. Gave that up pretty early when I realized how much all that lead weighed. Of course, we carry two revolvers in CAS, but even so, putting that many rounds in your belt loops will easily add another pound to the rig.
Yes I have considered the weight, I also noticed you are a senior member I was born on a ranch and am 16, 6' and 172 pounds (and none of it is fat). So yes I can carry a 5 pound rig around day in and day out

It will replace my DA .357 as my carry gun.
Old May 9, 2017, 08:08 PM   #17
Bob Wright

As a matter of interest, some of my first .45 Colt ammunition was REM-UMC balloon head cases that were nickel plated. I reloaded these so many times the nickel plating wore thin giving the cases a sort of "golden look." Kind of handsome, in a way. These were ca. 1954 time period.

Bob Wright

"
Old May 14, 2017, 07:40 AM   #18
Brian48

I love Starline, but I've never had any luck reloading nickel plated brass any more than 2-3 times before they start splitting. Don't bother to even pick them up anymore at the range.
Old May 14, 2017, 08:30 AM   #19
Real Gun

Quote:
I love Starline, but I've never had any luck reloading nickel plated brass any more than 2-3 times before they start splitting. Don't bother to even pick them up anymore at the range.
It's not clear (to me) whether you have ever reloaded Starline's nickel. Is it theirs that was splitting for you?
Old May 14, 2017, 09:09 AM   #20
jackmoser65

Quote:
Yes I have considered the weight, I also noticed you are a senior member I was born on a ranch and am 16, 6' and 172 pounds (and none of it is fat). So yes I can carry a 5 pound rig around day in and day out
I have traversed many a mile over the hills and far away wearing just such a rig.
Old May 14, 2017, 09:11 PM   #21
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
How nice for you, sonny.

Youth is fleeting.

Some day you will understand that.
Old May 14, 2017, 09:42 PM   #22
sixgunnin

This evening I ran 1 mile in 8:08 with my fully loaded drop loop rig and cowboy boots. Does anyone want to try this with your rig and get back to me?

Tomorrow I will try it with a saddle over my shoulder.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:08 PM   #23
Nick_C_S

I've only used nickel in "regular rotation" with 357 Magnum - no other chamberings. As almost all 357 factory ammo is loaded in nickel cases (I don't know why - tradition, I suppose - from back when 357's were popular among law enforcement, storing ammo in the belt loops? Just a guess.).

I digress.

Anyway, I have lots n lots of 357 Mag nickel cases going back several decades. And it has been my casual (non-scientific) observation that the nickel brass tends to want to split at the case mouth more than the non-nickel variety.

But, 357 Magnum is a pretty harsh environment for cases. Pressure is high, and crimps are robust. That's gotta come into play.

That said, it seems my non-nickel (what few I've used) 357 seems to hang in there better. 44 Magnum brass is rarely nickel plated (never seen them, actually). And 44 Magnum has a similar harsh environment - and I don't see nearly the same incidence of case mouth splits with 44 Mag. Not even close. I'm still loading the same 44 Mag cases I started acquiring from factory ammo back in 1983. I bet I've pitched maybe - maybe - a dozen cases with mouth splits since then. They seem to last much longer.

Just my observation.

P.S. Over the last few years, I bought 500 R-P and 2000 Starline 357 cases new - both are non-nickel. But I haven't had a need to put them in rotation - yet. I expect them to outlive me
Old May 15, 2017, 07:57 AM   #24
Real Gun

I have commercial 44 magnum ammo in nickel cases and I purchased 44 Magnum nickel by Starline through Graf. I use it in a bandolier for my mag rifle.

The topic for another thread, but now I am on the hunt for a gunbelt that has cartridge loops sized specifically for 44. The TripleK bandolier is snug and works well, but belts that are 44/45 are too loose to be trusted to retain the cartridges. A quick measure shows 45 Colt cartridges OD at .475, while 44 Mag is .450. My 44-40 reloads are about .460 nominal. Of course, a great deal depends on the flexibility of the leather, but it needs to start out tight.

Last edited by Real Gun; May 15, 2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:44 AM   #25
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
This evening I ran 1 mile in 8:08 with my fully loaded drop loop rig and cowboy boots. Does anyone want to try this with your rig and get back to me?

Tomorrow I will try it with a saddle over my shoulder.

When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.

Mark Twain