The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 12, 2017, 08:26 PM   #1
YankeeIronSights

Mossberg 590A1 SPX - Ported Barrel

Hi,

Can anyone who has fired a Mossberg 590A1 SPX comment about the effectiveness of its ported barrel ?

Is the reduction in recoil significant enough to justify the high price tag?

I know it also includes very nice fiber optic sights, metal trigger guard, metal safety button and a heavy barrel. All that adds to its cost.

However, I would be interested in upgrading from my regular 590 to this higher end model if it offers noticeably recoil control benefits

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 12, 2017, 10:03 PM   #2
Rifletom

No, not really. The ports will, however, add to a lot of blast and noise, especially with the shorter barrel. No real re-coil reduction you will notice. Just so you know.
Old April 13, 2017, 03:53 AM   #3
Blindstitch

I shot my Mossberg 500 last weekend next to a guy with an identical 500 that was ported and it was quite a bit louder even with ear muffs.
Old April 13, 2017, 06:26 AM   #4
FITASC

Porting a shotgun barrel does two things
It makes the guy who did it richer and it makes more noise

That's it

If you want to reduce recoil you need to shoot the lightest and slowest loads in the heaviest gun
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa