The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 27, 2013, 10:45 AM   #1
KMAX

Most Expensive Handguns

I am poor, have always been poor, and will always be poor. This is not to say I have to struggle to make ends meet, but must consider costs and expenses. My guns are inexpensive by most gun owners standards and junk by some standards, but I still enjoy them. I do however enjoy browsing the high end of the gun market as well as cars, motorcycles, and houses. My aspirations include Colt and Sig Sauer, not Ed Brown, Les Bauer, or Wilson Combat although I enjoy looking at those. Are there other high end handgun (or rifle makers) that one might want to peruse simply for the beauty and craftsmanship. I would want to view them on the internet rather than a shop. I don't like to waste other people's time looking at something that I will definitely not be buying. I do go to Cabelas occasionally and view their gun room or library, but that is not really wasting anyone's time but my own

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old May 27, 2013, 11:19 AM   #2
JL Wesson

I am not an expert but as far as I know from my part of the world (Italy) and keeping it about handguns, I can mention Pardini (www.pardini.it don't know if they have a English version of their site as I have limited access to the internet right now).
I also fell in love with a new brand: Olmi Armi. They presented a revolver at a recent fair in Italy that I will buy as soon as I can. Their website should be on-line any hour (checked with the owner of the business over the phone: www.olmiarmi.it).
I am also told very good about Para-ordnance (www.para-usa.com) but I am not sure if they are considered "high end" on your side of the pond.

For what it is worth I agree that the important thing is having fun with our guns. May be you can have more fun with better guns than with cheaper ones but I will not bet on that. All the best!
Old May 27, 2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Dondor

Mateba (check the spelling)

Interesting revolver. Haven't been made in some time.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:03 PM   #4
dgludwig

There aren't very many handguns (factory; not a Wyatt Earp or General Custer collectable) that are more expensive than Korth firearms. The Bentleys of pistoldom.
Old May 27, 2013, 05:00 PM   #5
9mmfan

I hear ya. My days of gun buying, ANY gun buying, are over for quite a little while, I would guess. As far as the looking at things, I do enjoy gun shows. Lots of stuff, decent enough way to spend a couple hours of leisure time & cheaper than a movie. Out where I live now, the shows are fewer and more of a drive. Ft. Worth charges for parking now, too.

I do enjoy the gun library when I am at Cabela's.
Old May 27, 2013, 05:08 PM   #6
lee n. field

Sig P210
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 27, 2013, 05:13 PM   #7
KMAX

@9mmfan: Ft. Worth isn't that far from you. Try living in Brownwood. Two gunshows a year (same show) and 80 miles to Abilene (woohoo!). I do like the small town life though.

@Lee n field: P210. Yes, the pictures look sweet. Have never actually seen one "live".

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old May 27, 2013, 06:55 PM   #8
9mmfan

I stand corrected. I go camping a couple times a year on a friend's family ranch outside of the Greater Brownwood/Early Metropolitan Area. You are a bit of a haul out there.
Old May 27, 2013, 07:43 PM   #9
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
Sig P210
Yep, and add HK P7, A Korth revolver and semi, anything done or redone by Doug Turnbull, Freedom Arms, and on and on
Old May 27, 2013, 07:56 PM   #10
BoogieMan

Pretty much anything custom (not bolt on stuff) but true customs. As far as long guns go. My dream is to find an affordable Holland and Holland double express rifle.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 27, 2013, 08:25 PM   #11
BigD_in_FL

Here ya go Boogie- about as affordable as you will get:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Hol...n_id=100331018

Old May 27, 2013, 09:38 PM   #12
KyJim

Freedom Arms may be the best revolver made. I would have to acquire one to find out. http://www.freedomarms.com/
Old May 29, 2013, 04:16 PM   #13
BigJimP

Freedom Arms ...single action revolvers are very high on my list as well...they have a good website ....but do a general Bing or Google search on photos of Freedom arms ...and a lot of great photos will pop up...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ures&FORM=IGRE

Here is a Freedom arms 4 3/4" Octagonal barrel, large frame model 83, 5 shot, I had made about 18 months ago or so in .357 mag...its as fun to shoot / as it is a great piece of craftsmanship !

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...0&d=1339790943
------------
same thing on Sig's ....they have a good website...

check out the Sig 226 X-Five's for some good looking guns...
------------
and gun broker, guns America, your local gunshows, etc....
Old May 29, 2013, 08:06 PM   #14
barnbwt

Not Mine--Oh, how I wish it was...

The only thing holding me back is that I know how high the bidding will go, and I don't have 6K in the gun fund . It hurts deep.

TCB
Old May 30, 2013, 03:46 PM   #15
Ben Dover

SIG P210.

Mine is about 40 years old. In my Opinion, the ultimate target pistol.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:25 AM   #16
Dondor

I want to find one of those in stainless, and make a red overcoat with yellow glasses...
Old June 1, 2013, 07:12 PM   #17
bac1023

Certainly not my most expensive, but still very pricey and definitely one of my rarest.

Anyone ever see a Delta AR Top Gun?

Its very exotic and very well built with an amazing trigger. Mine is the only one I've ever seen in person. Check out the design in the youtube link. Its was awarded the finest European pistol of 1998. Considering its competition, that's an honor.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a28_1176246726

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdD6NXdEWgw

Old June 2, 2013, 12:31 AM   #18
9mmfan

That's a mighty nifty looking pistol there. I have never seen one of those before.
Old June 2, 2013, 02:13 PM   #19
dgludwig

Me either. Looks to be an interesting and well-made pistol. What does something like this cost, if I might ask? And where would you ever find one(in America)?
Old June 2, 2013, 09:25 PM   #20
bac1023

Its very well made.

As for price, I bought mine for $4100 unfired. They sold new for a little over $3000 USD, I believe, and that was 15 years ago.

As for where to find one, I have no idea. I believe total production was under 200 and I don't think Delta imported tham into this country. A few made it here by means of independant importers. I bought mine from Exclusive Firearms in Naples, FL. They get some rare stuff in for sale at times, but this was the only one of these they ever had.
Old June 3, 2013, 08:32 PM   #21
barnbwt

Quote:
I want to find one of those in stainless, and make a red overcoat with yellow glasses...
Nah, one of those cool active-camouflage suits and a mullet would "match" it better . I'm working on a 45LC top-break the fires 6-o-clock, though (callin' it the Stampede, no matter what Beretta says )

TCB
Old June 3, 2013, 11:28 PM   #22
FM12

KORTH AND manNUHRIN REVOS, sIG 210 PISTOL FOR STARTERS.
Old June 5, 2013, 08:11 AM   #23
bac1023

Quote:
KORTH AND manNUHRIN REVOS, sIG 210 PISTOL FOR STARTERS.
All of those are amazingly fine pieces of machinery.

Old June 5, 2013, 08:12 AM   #24
bac1023

Last edited by bac1023; June 7, 2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old June 5, 2013, 01:30 PM   #25
PzGren

Brian (BAC1023) already showed you his gems, so I can kepp my old Korth beater and SIG P210-4 photos in the bucket.

But how about some nice Swiss Hämmerlis?

Or some old Anschütz or Walther KKJ rimfire sporters?

Even airguns can be very well made, these are a bunch of old Feinwerkbau 150 and 300S match rifles.